SoundCloud Winding Down Operations

thujone

Bluelight Crew
Shitty as hell, SoundCloud is shutting down!

In August 2015, SoundCloud was threatened to be pursued through the courts for unpaid royalties.[2]

In February 2016, a report casted “significant doubt on the company’s ability to continue as a going concern.”[3]

In July 2017, SoundCloud announced that they are firing 173 staff members to get "on [their] path to profitability".[4] Later in July, leaks from within the company revealed that it was "fully funded into Q4", yet was uncertain about future survival, giving it an estimated shutdown date of September 1st. [5]

- source

Existing content will eventually be rehosted by ArchiveTeam but discovering new music won't be the same.

Post your favorite artists or mixes on SoundCloud while it's still possible to share 8o

will always hold a place in my heart, where i've always posted all my music, used to be more involved in the community and would be inspired by other artists who didn't have much popular following, but their music was raw and palpable. i am kind of over the platform because i think ads ruined it. i can' t justify spending the money to not have ads atm and resent the weird consumerist vibe being pushed on me, same as youtube. youtube app on iphone is fucked for ads especially if you just want to listen to an album or a playlist of tracks.
i should prbly just DL stuff to listen to it lol but im lazy af. i can't even log into my sc account anyway, not sure what happened.

this is so fucked.
sound cloud has been one of the most amazing gifts to independent musicians and music connoisseurs - it was a great format to replace traditional recording industry industry shit with.
easy to use, didn't require handing over the intellectual property rights to your records....so much. i'll be really sad to see it go :(

I agree, it is certainly sad for the reasons stated, although I personally never really used it myself. I've never been big on streaming, especially when it's not a straight up unprocessed 320k+ version of what I'm listening to.

The worrying thing to me is who, or what, might buy it.

bandwidth is *fucking expensive*. Netflix is losing billions a year even charging for accounts so unless they go full Google and start laying transoceanic cables that's an unsustainable business model too

http://mixmag.net/read/soundcloud-might-only-have-24-hours-to-live-news

SoundCloud might only have 24 hours to live

The entire future of SoundCloud reportedly hinges on one vote over the next 24 hours.

According to a report published by Digital Music News, investors are due to vote on rescue funding today with a ‘no’ vote ending the music streaming platform.

A no vote is a big possibility because rescue investors Raine Group and Temasek would get preferential treatment over current investors who would have a harder time recovering their money.

SoundCloud’s current pre-money valuation is $150 million a sharp decline from its previous valuation of $700 million, and it is currently asking for $170 million to keep the website alive.

According to Recode, if new funding is found then current SoundCloud CEO Alex Ljung would be replaced by former Vimeo CEO Kerry Trainor.

SoundCloud had to lay off 40 per cent of its staff last month after running into money issues.

bunk! Maybe the next site will be even better! More interactive?

maybe if they could keep the bot accounts to a minimum I would think about getting Pro or something.

Or even the fact of clones sites which they didn't even know about making ad revenue off of our music. Their trendy huge staff in Germany or whereever the fuck. I could care less, its a basic API. Its not rocket science. Its only good because the content was good and people just uploaded anything.