• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Advice

jewelle1954

Greenlighter
Hello,
I hope you will bear with me but I believe history is important. I've come to this site in a last-ditch effort to see if my 21-year-old son and I can salvage our relationship. First, a little history on me. From the time I was 16 years old, I worked and was very independent. When I was in my 20s I started working as a word processor at a law firm. Thereafter, I became a legal secretary and worked in that capacity until 2011 when I had to quit working due to having Granulomatosis Polyangiitis (Wegener's), a/k/a GPA, which was diagnosed in 1999. GPA is an autoimmune inflammatory disorder, which causes chronic pain (for which I was prescribed a variety of pain patches and pills, finally settling on morphine, which helped me tremendously). The inflammation greatly affected my eyes (iritis--inflammation of the iris; uvitis--inflammation in the back of my eyes; glaucoma; and cataracts), my teeth (I got my remaining teeth removed three weeks ago and am waiting for dentures), and have had just a little trouble with my kidneys to date. In April 2016, it was discovered that arthritis had wrecked my left hip. The first doc I went to told me I was too thin, wanted me off the morphine, and was afraid, from a liability standpoint, to replace my hip because of the GPA. He just wanted to give me injections, which did not work. I took his advice on the morphine (I was taking between 30-90 mg a day, depending on my pain level) and this past March, I went cold turkey and got off the morphine. I found a good hip doctor but he told me I had to get my teeth removed and get dentures before he would do the hip surgery because he didn't want any bacteria in my system after he replaced my hip. With a really bad hip and now no teeth I am VERY limited in my activities, which drives me nuts!. 8o That's my history. Now my son's. I divorced his father because he became an alcoholic and started taking barbituates. I didn't want my son around a role model like that! At that point, my soon-to-be ex-husband ran home to his mommy in Pennsylvania and abandoned our son who became an anxious child and despite counselors and psychiatrists, nothing helped. He started having back trouble, which flared up when he was in 8th grade. We went from doctor to doctor, but they all said there was no reason for the pain he was having. I know they didn't believe him, but I knew he was hurting. Fast forward to 10th grade and my son discovered my morphine pills. He started stealing them and because I am not an abuser of medications and don't "count my pills," I didn't notice it at first. When I did, I asked him about it but he denied it. When he finally fessed up, he said he'd take them and go to his friend's house overnight or whatever and was not around me so I didn't see it. I admit, I was quite ignorant and feel extremely guilty to this day! When I put a stop to him taking my pills, he got it elsewhere. The day came when he was so bad he agreed to go to rehab. He was admitted and he successfully got off the opiates. That was two years ago. He began seeing a chiropractor a year ago and he is now pain-free, at least physically. His abandonment issues from his father leaving him when he was 7 have caused him to self-medicate and when he turned 21, he started using alcohol. All of this has been extremely difficult for me to deal with, considering my own situation. A couple months ago, he found a former co-worker who is a junkie and the worst of the worst happened. He had an unfortunate thing happen to him and true to his nature of running away, he contacted the junkie and got some heroin. He did it one more time and when I found out, I first begged and pleaded with him not to go down that road. I told him that he could live his own life, but I won't/can't stand by and have him doing that around me, for obvious reasons and that he should move out. I am afraid to get pain medication from my hip doctor until the surgery for fear he will either take it or harass me about it until I want to just die. Now, For the last month, he's kept telling me I should try heroin, that it would take my pain away, that we could mend the rift in our relationship that his addictions have caused. He says I am close-minded and there is something really "off" in my head. I am at the point of just going to sleep forever. Am I wrong? I just want to get my hip fixed and get a part-time job so I feel like I have a reason to live and hopefully work on my son's problems some more. Any thoughts are appreciated, but please know I hate myself so please be kind. Thanks for bearing with my long-windedness!

Hi Jewelle1954,

I'm sorry you are going through all this craziness with your son while your are dealing with your own poor health. You are probably feeling a bit helpless with the whole of everything on your shoulders right now. I want to start off by saying that you are not close-minded and there is nothing really "off" in your head for not wanting to use heroin with your son to take your pain away. That's just the addict in him trying to find a way to justify his drug use to you. "If I get mom on this stuff it would be hypocritical for her to kick me out or get on me about my drug use."

Him saying that "you using heroin with him to help mend the rift he has caused in your relationship" is absolutely ridiculous. Guilt trips are one of the main go to's in an addicts arsenal to get what they want. This is a bit of a long story even though I trimmed it down to the bare basics so please bare with me.
My half sister is an addict (we share the same father). I was living out of state when she got busted in a low to mid level drug ring in our town. Everyone (including myself) was shocked to find out she was addicted to heroin. Her mom bailed her out of jail and my dad paid for her to have a good lawyer (her mom and my dad had been divorced for a good many years by now). After the first time she got busted she was now on her local police departments radar. She kept getting busted and my dad kept bailing her out and paying for lawyers (her mom had finally had enough at some point and quit helping her monetarily). She got picked up 3 times for peeing dirty for her probation officer, in and out of jail for numerous felonies and my dad just kept bailing her out as much as she could. I kept asking him why do you keep doing this? She has blown though your entire savings, and your retirement. Finally he broke down in tears and told me it was his fault she was an addict. Wait....What? You gave her her first bump of heroin? No you didn't, That was her half sister from her moms previous marriage. You held her down and stuck a needle in her arm? No you didn't, no one had to hold her down and it was one of the half sisters friends who gave her the needle and her knowing what to do from being in nursing school before getting kicked out after her first felony. So how are any of HER CHOICES your fault??? Apparently she had been telling him about everything she felt he had done wrong in his life, and his marriage to her mom, everything she felt he did wrong in raising us girls, getting divorced from her mom and how dare he decide to marry someone (who was absolutely amazing) years later, and that she purposely tried (and succeeded) to ruin that marriage. Just guilt trip after guilt trip after guilt trip. She beat my dad mentally and emotionally until she had him convinced her addiction really was his fault. Hearing how broken my dad was is what made me decide to move back home. I wanted to be here to support him mentally and emotionally but it was already too late. My dad and I have always had a shaky (a good relationship just not stable) relationship, but my sisters addiction and all of her guilt trips have ruined what little foundation was left to build a stable father/daughter relationship on. Basically I'm not a train wreck so my sister and her kids need him more than me or my children do. Probably also doesn't help that when I moved home I ripped into her pretty bad about all the bs and now she won't even look at me if she sees me out let alone be in the same vicinity as me.

You can beg and plead and throw out ultimatums until you are blue in the face but until that person is ready to help themselves it's going to go in one ear and out the other. You have to remain true to yourself. You know what you are willing to put up with and what you aren't. Telling him that if he continues using he is going to have to find another place to live is a great start, but you have to stick to your word. You can't let him guilt trip you with reminders of how crappy he feels because his dad abandoned him when he was a kid or how using together would help mend the rift between you. None of that is your fault. You didn't make his dad become an alcoholic or make him abandon your son. You didn't make the rift between you two, and you surely should NOT feel guilty for him stealing your pills. He knew it was wrong which is why he took them at friends houses or when he knew you wouldn't be around. Once an addict finds your weakness they will use it until they suck you dry.....emotionally, mentally, physically, monetarily. As a parent I know how easy it is to feel guilty about certain things in their lives that didn't go according to plan. You can't dwell on it and you can't beat yourself up about it. It's already done and you can't go back and change a single thing. With adult children the only thing you can do is offer advice and point them in the direction of healthy alternatives to help deal with their pain and pray they take your advice.

I really feel that you need to get yourself healthy before you even start tackling the situation with your son. All the negativity he is bringing isn't conducive to your healing. If you're too busy worrying about his problems and fighting with him you aren't going to take care of yourself properly. He needs you to be strong and he needs you to be healthy so when the time comes you can help him fight for himself. As for getting pain medication, It sounds like you need it and I'm sure some days are worse than others. Have you thought about getting a safe? A small, heavy, sturdy safe that can't be broken into easy. maybe something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Al...175035&wl11=online&wl12=4948008&wl13=&veh=sem

Don't do a lockbox. I have a lockbox that was supposed to be impossible to pick the lock on and my husband was able to get into it and steal the pain meds I had in it out of it. Never underestimate an addict.....I learned that really fast. LOL! If a decent safe isn't in your budget do you have a friend or family member who doesn't live with you, whom you trust completely, that you could leave the medication with and only keep a couple of the pills on you at a time? You wouldn't even have to let your son know they were prescribed if there was no bottle around for him to see. He might wonder about a new random safe but you can always tell him it's to keep important documents safe incase of a fire. If he is doing heroin it is also a great place to store any expensive jewelry or items you don't want him to get his hands on.

I'm sorry for rambling, I tend to do that. I hope something in my long ass diatribe helps you out. Good luck with your surgery and please keep me posted on what's going on or what you decide to do.

Lot's of love!!!!