• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Mirtazapine wuetiapine weight gain.

benzoboss

Bluelighter
Hey im on 100mg quetiapine and 15mg mirtazapine.
For insomnia anxiety and some sadness.
I gained 20 kg (-+40lbs). In the past 3 months.
The mirtazapine and quetiapine does nothing for my insomnia.
Any ideas on other meds.
Non addictive non recreational if possible.
I've a high tolerance for histamine h1 and benzodiazepines.
And i hate anti psychs.

Hello benzoboss,

I didn't benefit from quetiapine or mirtazipine for my insomnia.

These medications are not recreational or addictive and work for different types of insomnia:

1. Doxepin (Silenor) puts me to sleep and I stay that way.
It's NOT controlled.
Low-dose doxepin is for patients with sleep maintenance insomnia, which is waking up frequently or early in the morning and not falling back asleep. It works for insomnia at doses in single-digit mg doses (3-6 mg). It does NOT work better if you take higher dosages. Doxepin is in a class of medications called tricyclic antidepressants. It works by slowing activity in the brain to allow sleep.

2. Ramelteon (Rozerem) has successfully helped me to get to sleep earlier.
It's NOT controlled.
Ramelteon is used to help patients who have sleep-onset insomnia (difficulty falling asleep) fall asleep more quickly. Ramelteon is in a class of medications called melatonin receptor agonists. It works similarly to melatonin, a natural substance in the brain that is needed for sleep.

Good luck!
Best, CD

Hey im on 100mg quetiapine and 15mg mirtazapine.
For insomnia anxiety and some sadness.
I gained 20 kg (-+40lbs). In the past 3 months.
The mirtazapine and quetiapine does nothing for my insomnia.
Any ideas on other meds.
Non addictive non recreational if possible.
I've a high tolerance for histamine h1 and benzodiazepines.
And i hate anti psychs.

I currently take silenor 6mg and it works pretty good. After a short period of time, I found that I needed 2-4 of them a night to sleep. Its been my favorite for sleeping.

Quetiapine (Seroquel) can also be taken in different dosages, 200 mg for example makes me pretty drowsy and I have always had trouble sleeping. The same can be said about mirtazapine (Remeron) you can get different results and actually reasonable benefits from an appropriate higher dosage like 30 or even 45 mg.

I have used both of them, the first one - Seroquel (200 mg) to sleep and 30 mg of Remeron, later upgraded to 45 mg for depression. The Remeron dose of 45 mg was working just fine, the only problem was indeed with Seroquel 200 mg as it made me very sleepy for almost 24 hours.

Everyone is different, and it's pretty difficult to find the right medication for you. Like painkillers, some will settle with 50 mg of Tramadol while others can't even get their pains normalized with 60 mg of morphine. Talk to your doctor and maybe he has other ideas, including increasing the doses. It can work.

Take care!

Just wanted to add in that seroquel caused me to gain a shitload of weight also, from 165lb to 195 in about 2 months

Something non-addictive and non-recreational to help with insomnia... how about Valerian Root as a suggestion? Anti-histamines may be useful perhaps or Promethazine and Trazodone as another suggestion. But then again it is quite limited if you hate anti-psychotics and have a high tolerance to anti-histamines. As you also said avoid benzodiazepines and z-drugs (Zopiclone and Zolipdem) as they are obviously habit-forming if you are looking for something non-addictive and non-recreational.

I take 45mg of Mirtazipine and for me it definitely has a strong sedative effect as well as causing extremely vivid dreams - I did have to reduce my daily calorie intake from roughly 2500 to 2000 as I did initially gain some weight. I do not personally have any experience with Quetiapine but I do know that it can increase appetite significantly as well as cause intense cravings for high-carbohydrate sugary food.

Last edited: