• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Vivitrol shot- My experience so far

Jmr828

Bluelighter
I have been battling alchohol addiction for many years. Started drinking at age 12 and I'm about to be 36. I have had made many attempts to quit and was not ever able to. Finally was backed into a corner and forced by hubby to get the shot. He said if I don't get the shot hes leaving. I have caused so much destruction with my drinking I couldn't refuse this time. I got the shot Monday morning. I read all these stories about how painful and sore the shot was. I can tell you this. NOT TRUE. It didn't hurt at all. Yes a little sore afterwards but nothing to even speak of. I have in my opinion the best doctor and she is likely the reason I did not go through what so many people did in regards to the shot being painful. So please make sure the doctor knows what they are doing. Here is what I am really amazed by. I have developed a pattern this past year. It is because of hubbys schedule. I know when he is home I will not and can not drink. So Mondays and Tuesdays are his days off. I never drink on those days and my body is used to that. Wednesdays, I am itching and anxious and ready to start slamming them back soon as he leaves for work. Here we are I got the shot Monday and it is now Wednesday. I would say with 100% certainty I have been drunk each and every Wednesday after going 2 days without. I am sitting here. Not having the slightest urge or craving to drink. I can't even believe this. I know it's really too soon to tell if and how long these feelings will last but I am so excited and hope that it stays like this. I spent the last week researching vivitrol I think I was desperate to find reasons to not get it. I just hope that this will help anyone on the fence.

Glad to hear your experience has been positive so far. I hope you'll keep us updated as time goes on; vivitrol (and other forms of naltrexone) are very controversial, so I always like to hear people's first-hand accounts with it--good or bad.

Personally, vivitrol was a lifesaver for me. I used it for about 6 months as part of my recovery from a heroin habit. Now I'm on oral naltrexone. Next week I'll have 9 months clean.

I hope you continue to feel good about your recovery!

Thank you lots and same to you. Wow, 9 months clean is something to celebrate. I hope this will be my lifesaver too.I will definitely keep you posted. Best of luck!