• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Positive Share Something Positive About Your Day vs This Does Not Suck (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)?

Out on the boat fishing with my father today. =D

Sounds like a really cool thing to do. I haven't gone fishing for ages!

Going out tonight with my colleagues from work to a local exhibition, more like a work night out. Should be fun.

I paid my phone bill.

Picked up my 11month chip yesterday.

Work mates talking about me saying hes doing good job and general talk in the canteen. Really nice to have heard that. Nice to know people recognize and respect my input. Learned that today so yea I'm not egotistical or anything but I work hard an its nice to know people see that and can recognize and acknowledge my labour.

I had to take my schizophrenic ex-acidhead 70 year old brother to his psychiatrist appointment today. He doesn't think he needs to be on Seroquel and will skip out on his refill appointment's if he can get away with it. He didn't want to let them draw blood to check his sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides etc. but relented and made the follow up appointment to do so after an embarrassing public display of abusive language and belligerence. The positive thing about today is as hard as he tried to get himself put in a psych ward, the Dr. and staff were sympathetic. He is probably happily downing a beer or two at his favorite tittybar right now although the Dr. is clearly less than pleased about him drinking on top of his Seroquel.

Just a note about Seroquel, it's a terrible medication indeed imho. It makes us tired, lethargic, heavy, slow, drowsy and down. Sometimes when I can't sleep for days the only thing I can take is Seroquel, and despite of the fact I do get some sleep I regret it every single minute of the following day. It's a horrible medication IMO. I can't take benzos or opiates so I need to settle with that when things get hard due to lack of sleep. Life can always be a bit worse if you have taken this med for the last 24 hours.

Just a note about Seroquel, it's a terrible medication indeed imho. It makes us tired, lethargic, heavy, slow, drowsy and down. Sometimes when I can't sleep for days the only thing I can take is Seroquel, and despite of the fact I do get some sleep I regret it every single minute of the following day. It's a horrible medication IMO. I can't take benzos or opiates so I need to settle with that when things get hard due to lack of sleep. Life can always be a bit worse if you have taken this med for the last 24 hours.

Thanks Erikman. I sympathize with my brother about not caring about his meds. I wish I didn't care as much about some of my meds to be honest. He's schizophrenic and I've had addiction issues. When we moved, he was between doctors for a while until he could get plugged into the mental health system back here. He ran out of Seroquel which he's been on for years now and I don't know as much about anti-psychotics, like how dangerous the withdrawal is. I do tend to project, but it seemed to me he wasn't able to sleep and seemed more out of sorts than normal. Thankfully we got thru that once he was able to continue getting it.

When I was a teenager back in the early 70's and he first started getting the early anti-psychotics, stelazine comes to mind, I thought, well those quaalude's uncle Rubin has seem nice. I didn't take but a few, I knew he needed them then I discovered my friend's mother would easily get jars of them by the 100's. Well I applied the same stupid teenage logic to stelazine. Well I know the name of the reaction now, it was Akathisia, a terrible feeling of inner restlessness and a compelling need to be in constant motion. That was such a terrible feeling, maybe even worse than a bad trip, I never got anywhere near my brother's anti-psychotic meds ever again.

It's funny the doctor my brother sees is always amazed by how low his case number is. I thinks it's in the low hundreds whereas now the next new mental patient will get a number like 36,523. So when he entered the system in the early 70's, he was one of earliest patients. We must have some resilient (but fucked up) genes. He doesn't take good care of himself. Never exercises, his band members dad said in the 60's "A drop of Rudy's sweat is so rare it would cure any disease known to mankind". My wife jokes when it's all over there will be cockroaches and Rudy. He's like the Syd Barrett of St. Pete without as much talent.

Sorry if I seem scattered. I wasn't able to sleep last night either. Must be going around.

Last edited:
I have a red bull . I'm not going to drink today, (on my lunch break at work) or for the rest of the day .

Well I know the name of the reaction now, it was Akathisia, a terrible feeling of inner restlessness and a compelling need to be in constant motion. That was such a terrible feeling, maybe even worse than a bad trip, I never got anywhere near my brother's anti-psychotic meds ever again.

It's alright. I can relate so much with what you have just mentioned above. I thought I was the only one who had this sort of sensation and couldn't really described it that well. It's terrible and it can last for hours, it drives me crazy. I have that from time to time and really didn't know how to call it. But it's precisely like that. The need to be stretching and moving can be so awful sometimes. I feel I'm about to break my arm, so that I would literally feel something else.

I have also addiction problems and since I'm sober from opiates and benzos, Seroquel is the only medication I can get from my doctor. I try not to use it at all. Only if I'm really beaten up by nights and nights without sleeping.

It's alright. I can relate so much with what you have just mentioned above. I thought I was the only one who had this sort of sensation and couldn't really described it that well. It's terrible and it can last for hours, it drives me crazy. I have that from time to time and really didn't know how to call it. But it's precisely like that. The need to be stretching and moving can be so awful sometimes. I feel I'm about to break my arm, so that I would literally feel something else.

I have also addiction problems and since I'm sober from opiates and benzos, Seroquel is the only medication I can get from my doctor. I try not to use it at all. Only if I'm really beaten up by nights and nights without sleeping.

When I was in the room with my brother's shrink there was some question about whether he was taking his Seroquel because according to her records, he should have run out by now. I try to stay out of his conversations with his doctor, he doesn't really want me in the room in the first place so there's no one to contradict any of his manipulation attempts. But I asked my brother if he had been sleeping alright. He said he was. The doctor was like, Oh there's no doubt he's sleeping if he is taking the Seroquel. I asked him if I could see for myself if he had enough Seroguel, which he did, while cursing me every step of the way. He is one strange bird. Ready to almost kill you one minute and then reminiscing about some obscure 60's song lyrics or cord changes the next. Don't know that he qualifies as an idiot savant but is a walking rock encyclopedia.

Erikmen just curious, does Seroquel cause Akathisia like the older anti-psychotics do?

I think so, if taken in larger doses - or a regular dose used too often during less than 24 hours.

Stellazine (trifluoperazine) is in the typical anti psychotic class of drugs and the rate of akathisia and extrapyramidal side effects is much higher than in atypical anti psychotics like Seroquel (quetiapine). Not that seroquel is entirely void of them.

Extrapyramidal symptoms, also known as extrapyramidal side effects, are drug-induced movement disorders that include acute and tardive symptoms. These symptoms include dystonia, akathisia, parkinsonism, and tardive dyskinesia. Antipsychotics are often discontinued due to inefficacy and intolerable side effects such as extrapyramidal symptoms.

After promising to clean and skim afterwards I was able to take my dogs (golden retrievers) swimming with me this afternoon as it is pretty darn hot on the west coast atm. Ended up being a lot of fun though.

I had a very deep conversation with a best friend. We both have positive changes and goals for our lives and are working toward them together. Me- tapering and quitting the damn pills and for her her four blunt a day green habit. I feel confident with her by my side and and this forum that I will be able to do this when I get my new script and the help of my husband to taper me

Very relaxing day, have been sleeping well for a couple of days. This is awesome, as in rare.