• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The 2017/2018 NFL thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic win for the Patriots. Some might say the greatest and most fantastic win in the history of the NFL.

800x-1.jpg

Eagles are going to the super bowl!!!!!! What a performance. Big dick Nick foles is the man!!!

Man, good on them.

Get a rematch from their last trip. I wonder what Shim would be saying right now. I feel like there should be a page wall of text here.

i won 150 on the jags being up by 4-6 points at the half. put down 15 for 150...

pats being called for only 1 penalty all game is a different story...

and love the refs all over bradys dick...smiling laughing with him....most refs are super patriotic..and would love nothing more for them to win....guess we will have to see what will happen when brady retires.

Man, good on them.

Get a rematch from their last trip. I wonder what Shim would be saying right now. I feel like there should be a page wall of text here.

Yeah I miss shim. I think he has something to do with the eagles run. Probably up there lobbying the NFL God's.

On a real note I'm sad he's not here to experience this. I miss him even though I only knew him through here.

Yeah I miss shim. I think he has something to do with the eagles run. Probably up there lobbying the NFL God's.

On a real note I'm sad he's not here to experience this. I miss him even though I only knew him through here.

i hadn't thought about that yet, but i like to think you're right

<3 shim.

which specific plays do you feel should have been penalties but not called?

alasdair

The AJ Bouye PI that was definitely not PI. Near the end of the first half that led to a Patriots TD. 14-10 going into the locker room instead of 14-3.

The Myles Jack forced fumble that would have been an easy 6 had the refs not called him down by contact. By the time he gained control no one touches him. Would have been 27-10 with 14 minutes to go.

The blatant hold on Telvin Smith right in front of the ref

They were both hand checking the whole way. Ball was not catchable.

A number of plays stood out, including the pass interference called on Bouye. He and Brandin Cooks were hand-fighting near the sideline on an incomplete pass, and the flag cost the Jaguars 32 yards in what became a New England touchdown drive to help trim the deficit to 14-10.
Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus said of the play, "This coverage was so dominant that they basically threw a pity flag for Cooks."

Last edited:
i read the nfl rules and there's no definition of "uncatchable" so it's a judgement call by the official.

but i asked dwe for examples of patriots plays which he felt should have been called but were not and the pi call is not an example of that. i'll wait for dwe...

alasdair

Belichick ties drop in penalties to technique

Some think the lack of penalties called on the Patriots in the AFC title game traces to something underhanded. Patriots coach Bill Belichick believes there’s a more legitimate explanation for it.

Asked by reporters during a Tuesday conference call whether a drop in penalties from 18 over a two-game stretch to a total of 13 in five full games can be traced to improved technique, Belichick agreed, sort of.

“Well, hopefully that’s what it is, yeah,” Belichick said. “We emphasize that all the time. We always try to work to eliminate penalties. Sometimes those things happen but, as you said, a lot of those penalties are caused by bad technique or just lack of concentration or sloppy football. We certainly are always trying to stamp those out.”

The notion that referees would call fewer penalties against the Patriots in order to help them get back to another Super Bowl makes for an intriguing conspiracy theory, but it’s hardly the reality. The league office, if anything, would have a bias against the Patriots — due either to the same skewed thinking that fueled #DeflateGate or the desire dating back to the days of Pete Rozelle to have more than one franchise rule the roost.

The far better explanation is that good coaching leads to fewer penalties, and that as the Patriots close in on a record-tying six Lombardi Trophies, they’re tightening things up, considerably.
(my emphasis)

alasdair

i read the nfl rules and there's no definition of "uncatchable" so it's a judgement call by the official.

but i asked dwe for examples of patriots plays which he felt should have been called but were not and the pi call is not an example of that. i'll wait for dwe...

alasdair

i was at work, but just having one flag called all game? i think the last time that happened in a afc chanmpionship game was the patriots several years ago

alasdair

durp...of course it is up to the refs. that’s kind of the point. Everyone knows what uncatchable means...it’s obvious when it happens...

There were a few missed holding calls. Specifically one right on the last scoring drive.

do you guys remember the conspiracy theories about how the Patriots' winning streak is related to the 9/11/2001 tragedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.