How to produce more endorphins

High_Anglican

Greenlighter
I hope I am posting in the right place...

Anyway, I am interested in producing more endorphins. Right now I am taking DLPA (D, L Phenlylalanine) so that the endorphins I produce stay in my system longer, but I have also heard that cocoa / cacao helps to release more endorphins. What is it in chocolate that does this? Is it the theobromine? Is it the anandamide? (are theobromine and anandamide related?)

Also, I am considering replacing caffeine with theobromine powder. How does it compare to caffeine in terms of effectiveness and addictiveness?

Theobromine (and PEA) acts as a stimulant. I find 20-30g raw cacao very mentally stimulating, equal to higher dose caffeine but without the jittery sides. I'm not aware of it being addictive, nor have I found it's stimulating properties diminishing much, though I only take it once/day in the mornings as it affects my sleep taken late.

With regards to endorphins, anandamide (of which there are trace amounts in raw cacao) interacts with CB1+2 cannabinoid receptors. However it's half life is very short, though you could theoretically extend it with black pepper (piper nigrum/piper longum), which inhibit reuptake of anandamide.

It really hasn't been studied - it's not a well-researched field at all, so I can't give you any reliable advice.

However you could try a teaspoon of freshly-ground black pepper and see how it goes. Mind you, I don't imagine it will taste very nice.

Theobromine (and PEA) acts as a stimulant. I find 20-30g raw cacao very mentally stimulating,

You mix it in with egg whites or something or just eat it straight? Was planning to pick some up.

You certainly could, but I take it with milk and honey for a delicious hot chocolate. It's strong but not unpalatable, and now I look forward to it every morning.

a bit of strenuous exercise will increase your endorphins.
'runner's high' isn't just a myth :)

Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) is an immune system modulator that increases endorphins