• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

Growing mushrooms

NBKDRAVEN

Greenlighter
Hello everyone I was just wondering where I could be directed in starting to grow mushrooms. I'm completely new to this.

Hello and Welcome to BL !

There are a couple threads here on BL and I'm throwing in another link that's really good as well. Good Luck and may you have fertile Mycelium.

https://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/583220-Growing-psilocybe-cubensis-mushrooms-outdoors?

https://www.shroomery.org/

22744.jpg

Be clean, careful and patient! mostly CLEAN. don't cut corners on sanitation.

Greetings, this is my first post on this forum and researching different teks and ways to grow mushrooms in monotubs, I have started my first "batch". I have a pretty laid out/written out procedure for every step of the process, but I am still stuck on the slow or no growth of the mycelium within my substrate jars. Below is my explanation regarding situation regarding my inoculation process and colonization period. NOTE: THIS IS MY FIRST GROW ATTEMPT, bare with me :)

I used 6 half pint pre-sterilized subtrate mason jars that are filled with bee pollen, verm and some coco coir. There is a verm layer on the top of each, while the bee pollen is on the bottom portion of each jar. Each jar had 4 small, syringe sized holes made through the lid. I also used a Burma spore syringe (10cc).

When it was time to mix the spores into the jars, I sterilized the entire area, wore gloves, a hat, and had a sterile sterilite tub over my head to avoid any air contams that might reach the jars during the process. I also had a soaked (rubbing alcohol) paper towel for the syringe to rest on inbetween jars.

This is where I get worried.

Once I prepared all ingredients (sterilized and all), I began injecting spores. I shook up the syringe moderately beforehand, but still saw many of the spores were localized in the middle. Nonetheless, I was confident there would be enough spores spread out in the syringe that it would still work. I ended up injecting roughly 1.5cc-2cc of spore juice into each jar (WHICH IN RETROSPECT IS A LOT), but I felt it might speed up colonization and I needed to use the syringe anyways. Around my 3rd jar, I saw that a majority of the spores that were once localized were FINALLY being pushed out. I am very nervous that I put too many spores in one jar, and left far too few for any of the others. After I finished inoculating, I covered them all with tin foil and a rubberband for the night, in a warm/dark place.

The next day I picked up micropore tape and replaced the tin foil and rubberband on the tops of each with tape over the 4 holes for FAE. I have them now placed in my closet, with a space heater nearby that maintains a temp from 80-90 degrees F. The space heater fluctuates quite a bit, and I am worried there also isnt enough consistent heat. Humidity in the closet is also very low (10-40%). It has been 5 days now and not a single bit of mycelium is forming. The jars themselves are sitting in a contractor bag with tin foil lining the edges to trap heat. The bag itself is opened enough for FAE, but closed enough for no light to enter. I have been checking on the jars once a day since I inoculated.

NOTE: during the moving process/replacement of tin foil with micropore tape, the jars themselves were shaken and slightly tipped unintentionally.

Overall, I feel that only one jar will actually colonize, and that I fucked up the other 5 and wasted far too many spores. However, I am trying to remain positive and confident that the spores will do its job over time and germinate no matter how many are there. I just need some advice on whether I should retry with another batch of jars and different syringe (also shaking the syringe far more and being more precise). Should I wait it out a few more days? Is humidity a big factor when colonizing? And, would any of the above information/procedures worry you if this were to happen to you. I am open to any and all comments, my apologizes if there is already a thread for this, but I have been searching forever and haven't found anything this specific.

Greetings intrinsicnature12 - Welcome to Bluelight.

Jekyl Anhydride has provided some useful links in the posts above, and the search tool in the Psychedlics Drugs sub-forum may prove useful to you. I wish i could help more, but i am hopeful someone else here can.

If you still can't find your answer, head over to the Psychedelic Drugs sub-forum and start a thread there.

Good luck and happy growing!

-madness00