Diet recommend for bulking

kris50

Greenlighter
Ive been reading through past threads and found some pretty blunt statements regarding dieting being as effective as AAS when starting to bulk up. Also saw many comments about NOT wasting time with AAS when you can get there by diet...then go AAS. Of course Id rather go diet than AAS so Ill ask for some basic advice.

Here's the stats,

45 years old, 6'4", 42" chest, 6'5" arm span - 196 pounds. Biceps 13.5" arm straight out, 15" flexed. 25" quad, 17" calves.

Currently working off some of the excess fat gained while off injured and the resulting surgery. Still recovering somewhat from rotator surgery 3.5 months ago. Abs are popping through but still need to get just under 190 to be good and lean. At that weight I go between 9-11% body fat per calipers depending on which workout im in and how long ive been doing it. I.E. cardio only 8% body fat I'm 183. Swimming im up around 190 but still at 9-10%.

Looking to bulk up the upper body and want direction in diet and lift routine. I like cardio so Ive been a little weary of bulking the lower half and pounding away the knees. Im happy with the quads and calves but could improve them. With that said here's the questions:

1) Looking to add size to upper body. With the long limbs what lifts would be best for muscle building BUT not over-stress the joints? I.E. Cable rows, dumbell flys, machines etc. I never felt good doing bench press and ALWAYS felt my elbows could almost touch the floor before I got the bar on my chest to go up again. I know that could'nt have been good on the shoulder over the years. Ive watched youtube stuff for tall people so I know theres a difference in what I should do.

2) I tend to eat light since I HATE gaining fat like I just did. Trying to come to grips with eating more to gain more. Friend of mine who used AAS for years would always comment how I dont eat enough. Anything I can throw in with the current foods to up it some and not blow out a gut or spare tire?

3) For the quads and calves, what kind of bulk options are there. Regular squats have always stressed the knees and ankles for me.

Lastly, if you had a tall thin frame and wanted to bulk it quickly what would you do? (not AAS yet)

(1) Lift the way that feels comfortable. Looking at other people and YouTube etc is really helpful to boost your knowledge base, but ultimately if you spend your time trying to copy others you won't understand yourself.

So if you worry about your elbows/shoulders and bench doesn't feel good, avoid it. Use machines if need be - but choose whatever exercise enables you to maximally stress and feel the muscle while not causing any pain/niggles. That may also involve doing only half-reps, especially as a long-limbed person. You could also play around with rep-to-weight ranges (high reps, low reps etc) to see which really gets a burn going on.

And don't forget to work the antagonist just as hard or you'll create joint instability (esp regarding rotator cuff muscles).

(2) You would need to post up your diet for us to have any chance of giving you advice on it.

(3) What leg exercises don't feel like they're stressing your knees and ankles? Generally speaking, your body should be able to cope with squats or at least adapt to them (or you adapt your technique), but that doesn't mean you must do them to gain mass in the lower body. You may also be under-working your hamstrings (you don't mention them), which often leads to knee issues. You may also need to work foot-flexors for ankle stability.

(4) I did have a tall thin frame as a kid. I filled it out very well, but it took me 5-10 years. If you're not genetically gifted to grow fast, try to ditch the idea of doing it 'quickly', that way you'll feel better about it ;)

I'm a lot younger and smaller but in about the same position as Kris50 with regards to proportions...I'm 6' and about 160lbs, have the same issues with shoulders and squats. Last year before some health stuff got in the way I was doing a simple 5x5 routine, and I found adding a lot of saturated fat and cutting back on carbs drastically increased my lean muscle gains. I went from 155lbs to 168 in about five weeks, which may not sound like a lot but it is by far the biggest improvement I've ever experienced.
So maybe try a LCHF diet.

^^^I would Consider you grossly underweight. Higher fat would provide Satiation which is NOT what you want. It also slows down digestion. I'm 6 inches shorter than you and started my enhanced journey at 155-160 for comparison.

Yeah underweight is pretty much the state of affairs. That satiation thing is a good point.
But the fat has a lot of caloric density, and I naturally have to eat a lot to be satiated. Maybe for those without bottomless pit type stomachs burn some good indica before your post workout meal hahaha?

Ghrp 6 will make one into a bottomless pit. Increases appetite. Speeds gastric emptying size what you eat gets processed faster. A single 100mcg dose and I can down 2000+ calories in a sitting and still want more.