• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Should religions be classified as Fake News? The bible seems to say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of free will, i'd suggest watching a video on the subject by Sam Harris... makes a compelling case for why free will is an illusion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhO2lVQRT8Y

(and please spare me the perfunctory "ohh, Sam Harris, of course, how predictable" moaning and groaning.. i don't want to hear it)

On the topic of free will, i'd suggest watching a video on the subject by Sam Harris... makes a compelling case for why free will is an illusion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhO2lVQRT8Y

(and please spare me the perfunctory "ohh, Sam Harris, of course, how predictable" moaning and groaning.. i don't want to hear it)
Interesting and thought provoking video. i disagree on one fundamental issue, I do believe in some quantum psychological ownership and totality of self. I like Sam Harris, I may disagree at times, but I love his presentation.

I am very unsure about free will but its a central idea in Christianity. In a deterministic universe, its hard to reconcile.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please expand on this a bit, perhaps describe what you mean precisely?
Harris poses the question: can we take credit for our thoughts? He concludes that we can't because of many causalities such as genes and up bringing, or profound abnormalities in the brain. Some people are simply killers, essentially there are no victors in Harris' thinking, only victims of circumstance.
I ultimately believe that every moment a choice exists if consciousness exists, the two go hand in hand

To an all knowing god, every action has already happened. Its hard to consider choice and free will in this context. How much choice do we really have? You actually verified that the Jews didn't have a choice but to kill Jesus. It was prophesied, it was written, Jesus knewit. It had to happen for Jesus to absolve our sins by dying on the cross. In short, it was part of gods plan and the Jews were simply the tool god used to enact this plan. To me, this suggests that god is the one culpable for the death of Jesus, and it suggests that free will is nothing but an illusion.

Does it show a weakness in gods power, that he could not absolve sin in any other way?

I wonder why Pontius Pilate's wife had dreams which inspired her to beg for Jesus's life. It would seem these dreams were sent to her by another powerful entity. I can't imagine it being the devil. Was it god trying to stop the death of Jesus? That doesn't make sense. None of this does.

There is illogic in god choosing this time-line to intervene in, but I digress. Why didn't it choose to intervene 200,000 years ago, before we had language and culture and morals and stuff, a time when we could have really done with some guidance?

Yeah, it is. You choose to believe this don't you? Don't you have free will?

Ultimately, the reason you hold these beliefs boils down to 'because I know'. Unforunately, that may be fine for you, but it is not good enough for me. I'd like to believe that a god loves and cares for us. I look at the world, and not just the human world, and I simply do not believe this.

It's my opinion, but I actually think there is both no evidence for the reality of the christian god, and evidence AGAINST this idea. Such as the theology that christian's often resort to. It does not make logical sense to punish people for killing a god that had to die to save people. This suggests that christians have it very wrong, or you do at least.

I don't think god is anything, but I consider the thing you view to be god as evil. An entity that punishes it creations with hellfire for simply being as they were created.

But, I shouldn't need to add this, I do not believe a supernatural entity sits outside of time and is responsible for creating the universe. I do not have the answers, my point is that christians such as you also do not have the answers.

Any statement on god is vacuous, IMO, and this one certainly is also. I freely admit that. I don't believe in something absurd such as "evil", I think there is right and wrong and it is up to each human to discover that themselves. I do believe that using ancient texts such as the OT to determine right and wrong leads to what we could call "evil".

I appreciate that you have clearly though about this a lot, but I find your certainty alarming and tiresome.

Christians do have answers, you may not like them, and because you haven't found an answer doesn't mean we haven't, projecting your experience on to us makes no sense, we are not having your experience, you are, and vice versa.

If there is no evidence for God, what have you reviewed in order to determined God doesn't exist? Obviously I don't believe that Islam is a valid faith system, but to say there is no evidence for the god of Islam is reckless and foolish, of course there is evidence. The question isn't whether there is evidence, the question is does that evidence have the necessary weight to warrant belief.

Wouldn't the most rational position for you be that of agnosticism?

I am very unsure about free will but its a central idea in Christianity. In a deterministic universe, its hard to reconcile.
In a dertiministic universe there is no such thing as chance. The Evolution of organisms do not mutate by error or chance, but follow a set of laws that naturally govern them. Life is essentially a bio chemical switch that strives toward consciousness, I propose that there is a genesis to that force that propels that progress. A consciousness behind consciousness.

That's not quite accurate. Predestination is a part of Catholic catechism. Not double predestination, but predestination yes.

For those who don't know what that means, it means God makes the big decisions, but we are free to make the smaller ones, to put it simply. So there is a certain amount, so to speak, of free will.

I can decide what kind of sandwich I'll make, but I can't decide if I'll become a monk or what will happen to nations. Something like that.

Last edited:
And not for nothing, but the religion leads to war argument is incredibly tired anyway. I mean, it's a false association between things people do. People are violent, and people practice religion. It's like saying eating makes people sleep, it's just two things people do.

And I'd like to echo the sentiment that someone expressed when they pointed out that bad things happening, and God existing aren't mutually exclusive. If I believe in the transcendent (and after all, what is God if not the transcendent) well, why would I expect it to do exactly what I want? Am I trying to find out what I believe in, or am I trying to get God to prove to me that he exists?

Third, I'd like to point out that a lot of what religion is isn't inherently literal, and most religious people get that. No, I don't think there's a man on a cloud over there watching to make sure I don't masturbate. It's just a personification to help us all understand.

Fourth, I don't think it wise to throw out eons and eons of experience and wisdom your ancestors are handing you because it's the cool thing to do and you have a computer now. I believe there's an incredible amount to be gained by actually paying attention to what we have been trying to teach each other as far back as we can even go. There's so much depth there it's ridiculous.

I get that it's cool nowadays to piss on religion, but I'm not sure it's wise at all.

^The typical ad-hom argument, that people opposed to Christianity are doing it because it is "cool" these days. For me, it is actually ethical to be opposed to anything which worships a god of violence and hatred, as the Christian god is.

Bobby said:
I can decide what kind of sandwich I'll make, but I can't decide if I'll become a monk or what will happen to nations. Something like that.

Why can't you decide to be a monk? You are free to choose, you have free will given by god. You can choose to be anything, it is not a holy calling. If it were, you would not have evil men taking the cloth, as we see abundantly in Catholicism. If god called them, what a fucking monster!

I should add that I do not believe the Christian god is evil, because I do not believe in it. Its a rather odd discussion to have for me.

Doctor Molecule said:
Life is essentially a bio chemical switch that strives toward consciousness, I propose that there is a genesis to that force that propels that progress. A consciousness behind consciousness.

I don't believe this is so, and it is a common fallacy when people examine evolution. Evolution does not have an end point, an ultimate goal, because it is a blind process. We are not an improvement on other lifeforms, simply a different life form. Evolution is blind and only selects organisms that survive and procreate. Whether a life form is conscious or not means nothing. Hominids, the most intelligent and actively conscious species we have evidence for, are actually what we could call a failed lineage. There have been many hominids and, in about 5 million years, all but one have died out and I do not think our future is especially rosy. And, it is likely that homo sapiens are responsible for the extermination of many other human species, either through active genocide or through sexual assimilation. Felines, on the other hand, are rapidly evolving and have persisted and diversified rapidly because they contain attributes that actively perpetuate their survival, yet they are not sentient in the way we seem to uphold as a kind of achievement.

Consider mammals. We flourised only after dinosaurian species died- through a chance encounter with an asteroid, an asteroid that, through the laws of physics, was probably headed towards earth in a circuitous route and chaotic interaction for millions of years. This was determined through the laws of physics, not through a striving for higher consciousness. There is probably a distant asteroid with our terran name upon it, with you in its sights as we speak.

If consciousness is the aim, all animals on earth would exhibit this. We have all had the same time frame in which to evolve, yet only humans have evolved this weird sentience. And, is it really something that is enviable? We alone live with the utter knoweldge that we will die. Is this a blessing or a curse? To my eyes, its not something I would wish upon my dear cat-friend, Maggie. Hey darling, I love you- get this, you will die, no matter what and I have programmed you to do everything to avoid something that you simply cannot avoid! If god made us this way, again- he is an evil god. That is cruelty. Or, it is randomness at play. I know what I believe.

But, I love nature and its brutality and know that it is a blind process and that makes me realise that humans are not so much a crowning achievement, but something more akin to an aberration, an anomaly and something that will probably be a distant memory held within the quantum computers of the robots that will enslave and slaughter us with laser beams ;) :D

Christians do have answers, you may not like them, and because you haven't found an answer doesn't mean we haven't, projecting your experience on to us makes no sense, we are not having your experience, you are, and vice versa.

If there is no evidence for God, what have you reviewed in order to determined God doesn't exist? Obviously I don't believe that Islam is a valid faith system, but to say there is no evidence for the god of Islam is reckless and foolish, of course there is evidence. The question isn't whether there is evidence, the question is does that evidence have the necessary weight to warrant belief.

Wouldn't the most rational position for you be that of agnosticism?

I'm not sure why you think I am an atheist anyway, but I wish you would answer some of my questions. But, yes, in answer to your's, agnosticism is closest to where I sit. I also don't see why god existing would make a difference anyway. It cannot change the reality of life on earth, which is a totally brutal place. And this is brutality is something I consider evidence against the Christian "loving" god- which I have rather clearly stated in the post you quoted and responded to a small percentage of. The majority of animals live lives of suffering and brutality, often being eaten at the end if they don't starve to death in isolation. If God loved his creations, I cannot imagine why he would engineer such a place. The only reason I think that life is so is because there is no consciousness guiding it or fostering/nurturing/caring for it. Jesus died for us, but what about everything else? Has He abandoned them? Why would a loving creator do this? Why would He make a world that appears random, in which the only really viable explanation for the proliferation of beings is random mutation?

I'm curious- and you've been asked this and shied rather poorly from answering, but you've made the statement- what evidence is there for the god of Islam? Or the Christian god, for that matter? And please, you cannot claim the Bible or scriptures are evidence of a supernatural, omni-everything God. Any more than a text book on physics is evidence for physical processes.

I don't really like the god v atheism debate, I would rather examine the absurdity of scripture because I think Christianity is one of the worst philosophies that humankind have conjured up, but I am curious as to why believers believe.

There are many proofs to the existence of God that are outside scripture. One of them is the mathematical universe that exists outside of the human mind and the physical universe itself. The issue really comes down to this, the same proof can be shown to two different individuals, one comes to a logical conclusion that God exists via higher order quantum interactions (watch maker hypothesis) and the other comes to a logical conclusion that God doesn't exist (large universe, small chance of life existing- Drake equation etc). It's all about the interpretation of facts.

Swillow, I never said, nor could you quote me as saying you were an atheist, I honestly have no clue what you believe. Concerning evidence for God, saying we cannot submit the Bible, or historical writings about God in general as evidence is absurd. Witness testimony is perhaps some of the greatest evidence a person can ask for. By simply dismissing witness testimony, you would never be able to examine history properly within context, considering most of known written history is documented by witness testimony. If your standard of evidence was the criteria by which history is examined, we would have to throw out a lot of valid historical narratives and references, its just not a rational approach considering its the only window into the past we have. You also don't believe in God and it appears like you are citing the problem of evil, but evil cant exist without an antithetical standard to evil, which is good. But you cant derive things like good and evil, suffering vs non suffering from a deterministic reality, every event in a deterministic reality is just a matter of atoms colliding with each other, there is no purpose, there is no good or evil, there is no suffering, just events with no moral attachment. The Bible, in detail I might add, describes what happened to mankind and our fallen world, but you've written off the Bible as valid evidence so its of no use to you. When I was agnostic towards the Judeo Christian faith, I didn't subscribe to it philosophically, but I did find that it answered these questions, this was before Christ directly intervened in my life, someone I wasn't sure existed according to the Christian narrative. I have however come to know Christ, and He has effectuated a change in me that continues to this day, and daily it seems I struggle against this change, as I continuously find myself wanting to entertain the old me. Paul talks about this struggle between our fallen nature and the new nature God is giving us in Christ. Its about submission to that new nature, which is not only possible, but has changed my life in ways I never thought possible.

Its not my job as a Christian to convince you of God, no one but God can do that, but I am well within my right to share my experience, and I like many others do have a testimony. 6 years ago I was making the same case you are now for the most part for why Christianity was invalid philosophically, but I lacked an understanding of its theology, partly because I didn't want to invest the time to study it.

It would be so much easier to just view everything through a deterministic lense, but the problems inherent in determinism prevent me from accepting it as having the explanatory power for the reality we are experiencing. In determinism, how can a serial killer or child molestor be anything other than what they are? But they made the choice to entertain whatever thoughts led to their actions, something determinism doesn't account for, nor could it, its a naturalistic philosophy.

You make very atheistic statements, or typical atheist statements regarding your belief in God, where as an agnostic takes a far more simple approach on the topic, saying, "I don't know if the God of the Bible is true or not", but you seem to have planted a flag on the issue, which doesnt seem to fit with agnosticism. I no longer claim to be agnostic, I claim knowledge on the matter, and I believe I have, not only through my understanding of the Bible, but personal experience, knowledge of God.

There aren't really any rebuttals or arguments you should be proposing, just listening, and determining for yourself if you believe what I say, because your beliefs don't affect my experiences. You could however challenge how I determine what is true, which is what philosophy is about, but I don't make that very easy since I subscribe to evidentialism, rather than presuppositionalism.

There are many proofs to the existence of God that are outside scripture. One of them is the mathematical universe that exists outside of the human mind and the physical universe itself. The issue really comes down to this, the same proof can be shown to two different individuals, one comes to a logical conclusion that God exists via higher order quantum interactions (watch maker hypothesis) and the other comes to a logical conclusion that God doesn't exist (large universe, small chance of life existing- Drake equation etc). It's all about the interpretation of facts.

I don't disagree, I just disagree with the veracity of religions such as Christianity. That our little world is special amongst the cosmic vastness is mathematically unlikely. Not the same as impossible though.

Concerning evidence for God, saying we cannot submit the Bible, or historical writings about God in general as evidence is absurd. Witness testimony is perhaps some of the greatest evidence a person can ask for. By simply dismissing witness testimony, you would never be able to examine history properly within context, considering most of known written history is documented by witness testimony. If your standard of evidence was the criteria by which history is examined, we would have to throw out a lot of valid historical narratives and references, its just not a rational approach considering its the only window into the past we have.

The problem with this is that by allowing the Bible as proof of god, you then throw out all other religions' writings, without an objectively valid reason to do so. You have chosen to believe one particular account of the way things are, and reject all the others out of hand. I would argue that it is not absurd at all to throw out a historical text as proof of god, it is actually the natural result when unbiased, objective thought is made on the subject. What reason do you have to believe one text out of all of the historical religious texts, except that you want to believe that one, even if it's because of a personal experience you had? This is why historical texts can't be used as proof of god, because it requires all but one to be invalid. This gets you no further than simply saying, "my system of belief is the right one, and yours isn't, because I said so". It's just that, instead of YOU saying so, it's whoever wrote the text you're referencing, against whoever wrote the texts that everyone else is referencing.

It doesn't bother me that you believe in Christianity, I'm glad it's been such a positive thing for you and helped you the way it has. I think religions can be great things because they can be a strong source of strength when believed. But since we're in a discussion forum, I do feel compelled to try to break down your arguments. I don't wish to change your mind, but if we didn't try to explain the reasons we feel the way we do, there wouldn't be anything to discuss.

The problem with this is that by allowing the Bible as proof of god, you then throw out all other religions' writings, without an objectively valid reason to do so. You have chosen to believe one particular account of the way things are, and reject all the others out of hand. I would argue that it is not absurd at all to throw out a historical text as proof of god, it is actually the natural result when unbiased, objective thought is made on the subject. What reason do you have to believe one text out of all of the historical religious texts, except that you want to believe that one, even if it's because of a personal experience you had? This is why historical texts can't be used as proof of god, because it requires all but one to be invalid. This gets you no further than simply saying, "my system of belief is the right one, and yours isn't, because I said so". It's just that, instead of YOU saying so, it's whoever wrote the text you're referencing, against whoever wrote the texts that everyone else is referencing.

It doesn't bother me that you believe in Christianity, I'm glad it's been such a positive thing for you and helped you the way it has. I think religions can be great things because they can be a strong source of strength when believed. But since we're in a discussion forum, I do feel compelled to try to break down your arguments. I don't wish to change your mind, but if we didn't try to explain the reasons we feel the way we do, there wouldn't be anything to discuss.

I think you mistated what I said, as I do not claim the Bible is proof of God, rather, I consider it evidence for God. I'm a staunch evidentialist philosophically speaking. Evidence must be weighed to determine the truth value of a proposition. For example, if I stated the following proposition: "The God of the Holy Bible is the one true God", then you would expect me to cite evidence, to which I would start with the Bible itself, you must determine if the evidence I give you is sufficient to warrant belief in the proposition, or if more evidence is required. If the Bible proved Gods existence, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now, and the Bible is ultimately useless to an unbeliever without Gods understanding, considering the spiritual connotation required to yield true understanding. In the Judeo Christian faith, the sole responsibility of proving Gods existence rests squarely on God Himself, which He does according to His will when and how He wants, and this is contingent of the humility of a person. A person living in willful sin, rebellion, or is full of pride will likely never hear a word from God, nor can they, they have locked the door shut.

As for the other religions, I find they lack the historical parallels and witness accounts neccessary for truth. An example would be Islam, where we have one person who has no corroborating witness to authenticate or give weight to his testimony, only to borrow from the Judeo Christian faith 600 years AFTER Christ. Not exactly original. Buddhism would be laughed at by Buddha himself, and in Hinduism the concept of the Brahman is ultimately not knowable. Judaism is unique in that it we consider it "Christianity unrealized" if that makes any sense, and Christianity is "Judaism realized", again, if you understand the context of the Bible. Christians are awaiting the second coming of the Messiah, and this second coming is confused by the Jews to believe its His first coming, either way, we are both waiting on the same event. The Jews misunderstood the two appearances of the messiah, thinking He would arrive to destroy the nations who come against Israel in the last days, which hasn't happened yet and most certainly not 2000 years ago.

Do some research on evidentialists vs presuppositionalists, that might clear up how I arrive at my conclusions, I reject inductive reasoning in favor of deductive reasoning.

Thanks for commenting, you are always a pleasure to talk to : )

^Does God want us to believe in him?

^Does God want us to believe in him?

I'd say trust is a more appropriate word than simply believing. Considering faith in God is the antithesis of and forgoing of the self, it would mean that a proper observation of who God is in relation to who we are is in order. In Anselms "Proslogian" he makes an ontological argument for Gods existence, based on a being who is maximal in every way possible, but as humans, we lack the qualifications needed for Godhood, so the greatest observance we can make is of God, not ourselves. The forgoing of the self, and recognition of God as the supreme being is what Solomon refers to as "the fear of the Lord", and this is the beginning of true knowledge and wisdom. Humans, being less than, and created by God, tend to view God through the flawed lense of human understanding, rather than viewing God from His perspective, which is perfect in every way, knowledge, wisdom, love, justice, power, etc. It takes humility to place human reasoning below Gods reasoning, but people don't do that, they believe they have the neccessary intellectual wherewithal to judge God, which is not possible, God is judged by no man and His existence is not contingent on what man thinks about Him.

We live in extraordinary times, where personal opinion takes precedent over what is true, in what is being referred to as the 'post truth' age, which is teetering on the brink of madness.

We live in extraordinary times, where personal opinion takes precedent over what is true, in what is being referred to as the 'post truth' age, which is teetering on the brink of madness.

Spot on.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. :) You've made some compelling and reasoned arguments here.

For the record, I don't have the ability to judge God, judgement carries a penalty and I have nothing to penalize God for.

You do not seem to recognize that you are either lying or a hypocrite.

You have indeed judged your God as you think that prick is good, so go tell your lies to another.

Strange that you judge while denying you judge.

Christians have been attacked for 2000 years from the likes of people like you, its nothing new, we can handle it, vengeance belongs to the Lord, .

You forget that you earned any hate against you due to the many Christian Inquisitions that killed a lot more Christians than any persecution from some other source.

Again Gnostic, why would a risen alive christ need to feast on the so called 'cursed' earth or the fruits of that cursed earth (fish) unless it was done to impart a greater emphasis on what is Holy and godly in creation? Why would Christ (a being enbuied with gnosis) engage in some trivial matter of the flesh?

Because the flesh houses the soul and God.

GnosticChristian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is inthe sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they sayto you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, theKingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who]become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] becomeacquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are thesons of the living Father.
But if youwill not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are thatpoverty."
Gnostic Christians do not see a cursed earth. That cursing thing is a Christian belief from Gen 3.

Also, the early church fathers could trace back the genesis of their teaching back to the apostles during the time of christ, (Iraeneus was a student of Polycarp, who was a student of the apostle John). Who do you trace your sources for this gnosis to? Valintinus?

Not any particular author.
My source of Gnosis is myself. That is what Gnosis is all about.

I actually believe that we were known as Chrestians before Christianity changed a lot of documentation.

Chrestians had a Jesus the Good and a God the Good. So did the Cathars and early Gnostic Christians.

I do not think I will ever confirm my theory though. We are too far up the timeline.

I think we as humans have such a thing as free will, but actions have repercussions that inevitably lead to a form of destiny. So in some sense we 'choose' our destiny. The laws of nature are but foot prints of god. We are free will beings who are free to act within set parameters of reality. Light for example is both a particle and a wave, God is, but isn't, but is... if you catch my drift.
So is the Bible fake news? Well to start answering that question we have come to some common understanding or language to discuss the topic.
1. The Bible is a collection of different works written down by men, at times by scribes.
2. The only part of the Bible that calls itself ' news' is the New Testament or Gospel 'good news' according to so and so.
3. The other parts of the Bible like the book of chronicles or kings vol 1 and2 these books read more like other ancient historians such as Herodotus

So let's start with the broader question: Are some 'myths' grounded in reality?

Sure. That is well known.

If you are asking if our supernatural beliefs are grounded in reality, I would say no.

They come from our real imaginations and con men.

Regards
DL

Status
Not open for further replies.