View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Video Games + Psychedelics

iamthetalker

Bluelighter
I feel like this thread could fit in a few different places, so mods please jettison me to a different board if necessary =D.

I'm looking for some recommendations for some good video games to play while tripping. In my experience it can be hard to find the right combination of colorful and anxiolytic, but I suppose the latter varies based on an individual's subjective stressors. I rarely get engrossed for any lengthy period of time (I prefer to spend most trips outside, weather permitting), but I often find involving myself in a soothing and aesthetically-pleasing game like Flower during the come-up of a trip can help me transition (including disregarding early body load).

Does anyone else enjoy video games on psychedelics, either during the come-up or the peak? Any recommendations for good ones to try (specifically PS3/4 or PC in my case)?

And for the fun of it: Do you enjoy video games on any particular psychedelic more than others?

I only can play videogames in gentler, stimulating psychedelics like 2C's, DOx's, or low dose lysergamides.

I enjoy a lot inmersive first person ones like Skyrim, Fallout, Bioshock or even GTA V in first mode :)

I would on occasions play games but I found they distract me too much from the trip. The last time I had a trip apart from one song by Shpongle I spent the night sitting in the dark with nothing - it was one of the best times I ever had.

I do agree they can be excellent for the come up and for me I would be a fps fan but don't play them if tripping, I tend to play games that you don't have to react quickly and can explore or play my own way or puzzle games.

Have you tried any adventure games like Grim Fandango or The Longest Journey?

Can't believe I didn't think about Skyrim; that game is gorgeous and immersive, especially when modded. Unfortunately, even childish violence can equal bad vibes for me on psychedelics. Although...I did randomly spend a few hours playing Overwatch on my last mescaline trip ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Have you tried any adventure games like Grim Fandango or The Longest Journey?

I've heard good things about GF but never played it. I haven't heard of the other one, I'll look it up!

I've never played a game on a psychedelic, but I was recently playing morrowind and was thinking a psychedelic tripping mod would be good. Something like a remote island with only good vibes. I guess the lesser version would just be somewhere very beautiful to explore and enjoy, whereas the more professional version could have a gripping story etc.

Unfortunately I've got absolutely no idea how to mod a game, so it will forever remain a pondering. =D

Now there's an idea--an explorable region with no hostile NPCs, maybe a story/dialogue if the tripper-player needs direction instead of just exploring aimlessly. A simpler solution would probably be just a mod that makes all NPCs (including enemies and wildlife) no longer hostile...I'll have to look into this.

When you said "psychedelic tripping mod" at first I thought you meant a mod that simulates the player character tripping, which actually exists for Skyrim (to a limited degree)! I like your actual idea better. =D

Now there's an idea--an explorable region with no hostile NPCs, maybe a story/dialogue if the tripper-player needs direction instead of just exploring aimlessly. A simpler solution would probably be just a mod that makes all NPCs (including enemies and wildlife) no longer hostile...I'll have to look into this.

When you said "psychedelic tripping mod" at first I thought you meant a mod that simulates the player character tripping, which actually exists for Skyrim (to a limited degree)! I like your actual idea better. =D

Ha, well I guess you could have stuff such as harvesting/hunting amanita/psilocybes in their various locations, which you could presumably ingest, changing the world to beautiful colours. Positive insights/realisations. The odd note/book/tale left from the fabled elder generation who used to live on the planet...

I really love the idea, shame I don't have the knowledge to pull it off. I doubt it would be that hard so long as it didn't involve too many conceited and ingrained quests/concurrent storyline etc.

I don't like to stare at a thing screen while tripping, seems like a waste Imo, but I have been guilty of it before. Fun, easy games are where it's at, Minecraft has a real funny look/texture to it. Skyrims graphics are also nice, sailing around on black flag is cool too

I've just remembered when the mushrooms were so powerful I was starting to forget who I was, and my friend started playing call of duty with all the gun shots etc going off above the music. I had to ask him to turn it off, it was so weird.

Witcher 3. Especially if you have a PC with a nice GPU. In that last expansion there is a stretch where Geralt is transported to a magical land. All the fairy tail stories. The colors.. 100ug and that was a lot of fun :)

No Man's Sky.
THIS. Just flying through space while listening to music at the peak of low dose L was magical.
Games that require more focus are good for the come up but I usually lose interest. I tend to just run around and look at the colors - like in Witcher 3 or fallout. But animal crossing in 3D was VERY stimulating.

Yes then you can murder everyone and steal from them without recourse!

Ha, well I guess you could have stuff such as harvesting/hunting amanita/psilocybes in their various locations, which you could presumably ingest, changing the world to beautiful colours. Positive insights/realisations. The odd note/book/tale left from the fabled elder generation who used to live on the planet...

I really love the idea, shame I don't have the knowledge to pull it off. I doubt it would be that hard so long as it didn't involve too many conceited and ingrained quests/concurrent storyline etc.

The Witcher 3 actually has a quest where you explore a haunted cave while under the influence of a cocktail of deliriants, as well as references to Psilocybe mushrooms. In the "Blood and Wine" expansion, there's a (pretty hilarious) quest that requires you to trip on shrooms.

I've heard good things about GF but never played it. I haven't heard of the other one, I'll look it up!

Not sure if adventure games are ideal for tripping - they are very linear and involve lots of trial & error and eventually frustration (expect to hear your character say something to the effect of "that's just not going to work" a lot). Of course if you've already played through Grim Fandango and know the solutions to the puzzles (so you're effectively playing it as a "movie" of sorts) it could be a hilariously surreal experience.

But in general, I'd say open-world / sandbox games are the way to go.

I've heard the PS4 game "Journey" (not to be confused with "The Longest Journey") is supposed to be fairly psych-friendly. Never played it myself, but the concept (silently traversing a desert, sometimes with the aid of a fellow traveller) seems like it would go well with tripping.

I've heard the PS4 game "Journey" (not to be confused with "The Longest Journey") is supposed to be fairly psych-friendly. Never played it myself, but the concept (silently traversing a desert, sometimes with the aid of a fellow traveller) seems like it would go well with tripping.

Man, Journey is an amazing game to play sober! I've thought about it, but there are the occasional "scary" parts that might be too intense (not going to go into detail because I believe everyone should play the game spoiler-free). Then again, since I'm aware of them it may be easier to not get rattled.

farcry 3 comes to mind

farcry 4 not as much

gta v (the part after you drink the soda lmao)
bioshock (sort of)

I've played super smash bros with friends on the comeup/tailend

I remember one of my strongest mushrooms trips were plying smash bros right after we ate them. I remember everything was good and giggly, and all of a sudden the stage we were on took on a new depth and i got that "oh shit here the trip comes" feeling and I immediately got up, ran but coudnt make it to the bathroom, and puked all over my friends hallway floor. Was a hectic way to begin.