⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film The Hero

Shale

Bluelighter
The Hero
Movie Blurb by Shale
July 1, 2017

This movie has been out since June 9th, but it just caught my attention when perusing current movies, none of which appealed to me. Then I noticed that is stars Sam Elliott a contemporary of mine (we were both born in California in 1944 - he's 3 months older than me).

This is what would qualify as an "Art Flick" that studies a slice of life of a particular character, showing their humanity in a day-to-day existence. I have noticed that I have lost interest in a lot of the action flicks that I once watched, like the latest Fast & Fuious, Pirates of Caribbean, and Transformers, which opened last week. Maybe I am maturing into more adult movies.

Poster
2653.jpg

Or, I just like Sam Elliott whom I last saw in I'll See You in My Dreams, with Blythe Danner another mature actor about our age that I enjoy on screen. (BTW, Director Brett Haley and Cinematographer Rob Givens also worked on that movie).

Those familiar with Sam Elliott know that most of his acting is as Western characters both on the big screen and TV. His character in this movie is Lee Hayden, an old actor in Southern California whose most notable movie was a Western known as "The Hero." Now he is only getting voice acting roles (Something else Elliott has done with his unique, deep comforting voice). But doing dreary commercials is not fulfilling except for a paycheck.

Like many our age, Lee has history. He is divorced and his 30-something daughter Lucy (Krysten Ritter) has abandonment issues with him. He has one friend, Jeremy (Nick Offerman) a former co-star on a TV Western and now his weed supplier. While at Jeremy's house he meets Charlotte (Laura Prepon) who came to pick up some drugs. They meet again in the neighborhood and kind of hit it off with 30-something Charlotte taking an interest in a guy older than her father.

Jeremy & Lee
the-hero-sam-elliott-2.jpg

Lee's agent has informed him that there is a Lifetime Achievement Award ceremony by some Western Preservation group and he agrees to attend. When his daughter declines to accompany him, he asks Claudia and she accepts.

Lee & Charlotte at Award Ceremony
Hero_Select2_rgb.jpg

Their relationship does turn intimate and there is some nice play with the fact of their 40-year age spread. (On a personal note, I have been approached by younger guys, some 20 or 30 years younger and two that were 40 years younger. However, haven't had that happen with women yet. Maybe I need a deep baritone voice)

I enjoyed this movie, but it may be for a select audience. Of the half-dozen ppl in the early matinee, all appeared over 50 and most were women. It got good reviews. The aggregate critics at Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 76% Fresh and 73% of audiences liked it. The Critics Consensus was "The Hero rests on Sam Elliott's understated performance, which proves more than capable of carrying the film through the less inspired moments of its somewhat clichéd story."

Oh, on another personal note, I think Sam looks considerably older than me and we are the same age of 72. Could just be genetics, or maybe he smokes but his skin wrinkles go much deeper than mine at this age.

Lee, Looking at the Pacific
17471-1-1100.jpg

Last edited:
I'll See You in My Dreams

I made a reference to this movie, so here is my blurb about it.

I'll See You in My Dreams

Movie Blurb by Shale
June 5, 2015

I've been watching the trailers for this movie over the last month and really like the main actors, so it was my movie of the week. I rarely go online for movie info until I get home but this time I peeked at Rotten Tomatoes and saw the aggregate critics gave it 93% fresh and 76% of audiences liked it. I wonder if the audience was 70 somethings like the two main characters? It was only white hair in the matinee today.

The story opens with the quiet, routine life of Carol Peterson (Blythe Danner) a widow in California who spends her days tending her garden, walking her dog, watching TV, drinking white wine and visiting her friends Sally (Rhea Perlman), Georgina (June Squibb), and Rona (Mary Kay Place), in a retirement village to play bridge.

Bridge & Gossip With Friends
capture3.jpg

Everything is quite routine and unchanging until her 14-year-old dog gets ill and has to be put down. (BTW, all critic remarks I have seen give much credit to Blythe Danner for carrying this movie - the scene in the vets office is one of them - bring tissue).

After this and finding a rat in her house and having Lloyd (Martin Starr) a new pool man show up has upset her quiet routine somewhat. She actually takes a liking to Lloyd who is a nice young man who invites her out to a Karaoke bar for drinks and fun. Turns out Carol in her youth was a singer in a band and gets quite an applause at the Karaoke bar.

Carol & Lloyd - Drinking Buddies

1-blythe-and-martin-on-patio.jpg

(OK, I know what you might be thinking and I ain't gonna tell you one way or another but when I was a young man I made love to a woman 20 years older and if there was a woman 50 years older who looked like Blythe Danner, the young me woulda gone for that too.)

Anyhow, she runs into Bill (Sam Elliot), a nice looking 70-year-old man a couple of times in the neighborhood who makes eye contact with her and eventually asks to meet her at the retirement village. They go on a couple of dates and it looks like Carol's life is going to go thru some changes.

Bill & Carol on His Boat
illseeyouinmydreams2.jpg

This movie was very enjoyable - but it was my contemporaries going thru later life struggles with grace and dignity. Well, that is until the Bridge ladies got into one of their medical marijuana bongs and got a little stoned - some for the first time in decades. (Oh come on, like you never)

I would recommend seeing this movie, especially for those who can relate to the lives and experiences of septuagenarians today.

TRIVIA

These two movies are in no way sequels, but The Hero seems to be a follow-up to I'll See You in my Dreams. Almost like an old theatrical troupe, both were directed and co-written by Brett Haley, had cinematographer Rob Givens and included some personal connections with the actors.

in Dreams, there is a foto on the mantel of Carol's daughter and late husband when they were younger. It actually was Blythe Danner's real husband, the late Bruce Paltrow, and their daughter, Gwyneth. Also Brett Haley makes a cameo appearance as one of the first karaoke singers.

In Hero Lee's ex-wife Val is played by Katharine Ross, his actual wife since 1984.

In both movies Max Gail (another of our generation from Barney Miller TV fame) has a small part. In Dreams he is one of the speed daters with Carol and in Hero he is the leader of the small Western-Appreciation group.

I always wondered what happened to Laura Prepon, it's great to see her back in action along with Nick Offerman. Sam Elliot has been a legend since MASK along with a young Eric Stoltz. I especially like when he takes slightly stranger roles like in The Big Lebowski.

Excellent Thread, I'll be back after I have seen at least one of these I just hadn't heard of this movie yet. Thanks for the nice layout .