Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(4-AcO-DET / multiple) - First trials - The Impartial Messenger

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
When I first began to investigate psychedelic research chemicals, I rather quickly filed away 4-HO-DET and its acetate ester into a lesser category of drugs, perhaps something of interest only to the most dedicated psychonauts or molecule collectors. Among the first comments I read about 4-HO- and 4-AcO-DET were complaints that it was prone to disturbing bodily tremors, and a negative mood, so without further ado I decided that it wasn't worth my while, and moved on.

Until, that is, my friend A, whose history with research chemicals is far more decorated than mine, gave 4-HO-DET as her top recommendation for psychedelic drugs that may interest me, based on my preferences. With rekindled curiosity, I began to research it, and became all the more fascinated as I uncovered the relatively rich history of this particular 4-substituted tryptamine, so I purchased a sample for myself (selecting the acetate for an apples-to-apples comparison to 4-AcO-DMT, which I've taken many times).

Previously, among the 4-substituted tryptamines I had taken the DMT, MET, MiPT, EPT, and DPT variants.

First trial: 8 mg

I started with eight milligrams of the fumarate, orally. At first, this resulted in a fairly unremarkable, generic tryptamine buzz that fell somewhere between 4-HO-MET and 4-HO-DPT; but as the night wore on, I found that I enjoyed socializing, with what seemed to be an enhanced sensitivity to the interpersonal dynamics surrounding me. Countless little insecure affectations, such as forced chuckles, bespeckled the conversation like so many particles of dust on an old, crackling vinyl record, which I observed equally in myself as others. One author of a trip report on Erowid describes something similar, albeit she was perhaps more disturbed than intrigued:

Kat said:
[...] conversation was becoming unbearable. It wasn't that it was difficult to speak, but something about my trip made social cues and peoples insecurities glaringly apparent. It actually made my stomach ache when people would say things I knew made someone else uncomfortable, or pursued a line of conversation too far.

Something about all of this was powerfully reminiscent of LSD, in a way that I've never observed in any other research chemical. I wondered, could the structural similarity between 4-hydroxy-diethyltryptamine and lysergic acid diethylamide have anything to do with the subjective similarity? I flipped open my laptop to compare the two molecules. I've never been terribly interested in chemistry, but in this condition, I was mesmerized. I must have spent a good half hour utterly lost in the 3D ball-and-stick models of these psychedelic molecules. I tried to develop an intuitive sense of how each of the atoms bonded with one another, attempting to somehow visualize the electrons and protons interacting with each other, as if I had shrunk down to the size of an atom myself.

Second trial: 4 mg

Intellectually invigorated by the experiment, I couldn't resist taking another four milligrams the next day, in attempt to recapture the nootropic-esque stimulation I experienced the night before. I went to the gym and worked out during the first phase, which was again rather ho-hum, and was accompanied by some unpleasant bodily tension, elevated pulse, and a twinge of nausea. But when I came home and got in the shower, a switch suddenly flipped: I became convinced that none of these symptoms were in any way caused by the drug, but were only manifest by a state of heightened sensory awareness! The bodily tension was from straining myself at work, the elevated pulse was preexisting stress, and the nausea was perhaps a dietary issue; I was only now made conscious of these things. I had previously accused the drug itself of having a "dirty" bodyload, but my perception was instantly inverted, and the drug took on a character of immaculate purity, as a crystal clear window into the unconscious.

I was propelled into an energetic hypomania, and my mind began to race along a series of tangentially related ideas. Through a system of interwoven thoughts about subjects ranging from a recent conversation with a friend to the symbolic resurrection of Christ, I developed an increasingly vivid conception of my inmost self as being something totally abstract, intangible, and outside the bounds of time and space. I wondered if pronouns like "you" and "I" refer to merely imaginary entities, and all that exist in reality are heaps of flesh and bone, with nothing concrete to which these words can point.

Third trial: 16 mg

Needless to say, I was really impressed by the effects I got from such modest doses, so I made plans to take it again at sixteen milligrams two weeks later, this time in the morning rather than evening. During the all-important come-up walk outside in the sunshine, my suspicion was confirmed that the bodyload I felt on the smaller doses was not tied to 4-AcO-DET itself: gone were most of the previous symptoms, with a new array of sensations to take their place. Like adjusting a microscope lens, my bodily condition was brought sharply into focus, revealing every hairline crack with needlepoint resolution, from an itchy mosquito bite on my ankle to a kink in my neck. This, I thought, must be why 4-HO/AcO-DET is accused of being prone to negativity. It's a reality check, and the reality is, everything is in a constant state of decay, we begin to die as soon as we're born, and entropy will inevitably destroy the universe as we know it. You can see this as a gloomy fate; alternately, you can view it as a thing of spectacular beauty, like fireworks obliterated in great colorful explosions -- it's all a matter of perspective.

The comparison to LSD bears repeating here. One of the most striking takeaways I got from Stanislav Grof's LSD Psychotherapy was the incredible absence of any intrinsic character to be found in the drug. Grof was hard pressed to come up with a single consistent effect of LSD: even such seemingly ubiquitous phenomena as visual hallucinations or pupil dilation were occasionally absent in high-dose sessions! I get the sense that 4-AcO-DET shares that mysterious quality of formless invisibility -- a sterile, white light to illumine whatever comes underneath it, such as what you might find in a laboratory or a dentist's office.

By the time I got home, I was more or less peaking. Considering how far I was able to get on four milligrams alone, I expected sixteen to blow me to Jupiter, but the dose-response curve was gentler than I anticipated. I put on some downtempo electronic music and closed my eyes. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite high enough to get any overt closed-eye visuals, but nonetheless I perceived a dimension of space behind my eyelids, which didn't replace my real environment, but rather existed simultaneously as a parallel inner world. Unlike 4-AcO-DMT, which I'd say creates the impression of being enclosed in a dark interior space like a cave, or perhaps underneath the canopy of a dense forest, 4-AcO-DET's internal space felt expansive, airy, and brightly lit. With my eyes closed I felt as if I were a graceful hawk, soaring high above the mountains in a cloudless sky. On 4-AcO-DMT, music can sound very internal, hardly discernible from my own imagination; by contrast, on 4-AcO-DET the music sounded hyper-real, as if booming over the vast distances of this landscape, reverberating off the mountainsides into infinity. This was the final nail in the coffin for me to become unequivocally convinced that 4-AcO-DET had a special overlap with LSD that most other tryptamines did not.

My choice of music, however, wasn't thrilling me, so I found a video of Christian McBride's jazz trio performing on YouTube, which thankfully was brilliant. I saw the dark color of their skin, and considered that they might be mistreated for this simple fact alone by some people, despite being masters of their craft, gods among men. Suddenly, I was overcome with conviction that my previous notion of racism, and indeed any sort of prejudice, was based on a myth. I felt, for the first time, as if there were no essential conflict between the oppressors and the oppressed, despite sometimes playing out in bloody violence on the surface; that, should the person on the handle of the blade peer deeply enough into the bottom of their heart, they would feel nothing but love for the adversary; and likewise, should the person on the edge of the blade truly know their deepest desire, they would willingly submit to death. I tried explaining this via text message to A, but I quickly realized that this was virtually impossible, so I gave up.

Through the whole experience, I maintained an unusually cool, detached attitude. There was zero fear, but perhaps even more surprisingly, there was no great astonishment or ecstatic rapture. I held roughly the same euthymic mood that I would have had I not taken the 4-AcO-DET. And with good reason! Sure, I made some new discoveries about the drug, and had some fun thoughts in the realm of philosophy and spirituality... but really, it was just another day, another adventure. Possibly the most disturbing aspect of psychedelic drugs to me is their unrelenting insistence that each trip is more impressive and life-changing than the last, a new pinnacle of pinnacles. This often leads me to feel let down after sobering up, and realizing that I did not in fact finally achieve everlasting enlightenment. So, while those manic extremes can be a whole lot of fun, I was actually quite relieved to have found a psychedelic that is humble in its presentation, yet equally powerful to the mightiest psychedelics in its ability to inspire radical, cosmic thoughts.

Summary

So far, I conclude that A was right on target in her recommendation of 4-x-DET, as it has quickly ascended to the top of my favorite 4-substituted tryptamines, and if it proves to scale well into higher dosages, it might even threaten LSD as my number one favorite psychedelic, period. The only other tryptamine that I can imagine might surpass it would be 4-HO-MPT, but I haven't gotten the chance to try that one yet. I experienced no muscular tremors, nor any negative mood, so my initial concerns have been more or less allayed. I rarely feel comfortable taking a 4-substituted tryptamine past about 20 mg these days, but I'm really excited to try 4-AcO-DET at 24 mg in another two weeks.

Until then... stay curious!

Last edited:
Awesome report, thanks for writing it. :D I found your descriptions very relatable, both to my experiences with 4-HO-DET and 4-AcO-DET specifically and with tryptamines in general.

First of all, I love your observations about the body load. I actually also noticed that I started out having a lot of things like tremors and tension when I was first really getting into 4-substituted tryptamines, but that they would often vanish on higher doses of the same drugs that caused them before, and eventually that over time they just started disappearing all together but for like a second or two per trip. I definitely think it does come down to just discerning what's a real side effect and what's simply a sensory magnification that won't hurt you, but rather might even help you learn something about yourself, if it doesn't simply fade away and let you be comfortable again. And with 4-HO-DET and 4-AcO-DET there definitely don't seem to be too many if any actual side effects, at least at these more normal doses.... Though, I will say that, interestingly, 4-HO-DET did give me the strongest illusory body load of any of them when I first took it, so I do also think it might be particularly strong in this sensory amplification way (and that's not the only reason).

Second, as an extension of that, I have to say that I also find it very fascinating that you had these themes of decay and death to explain your subjective experience of your heightened bodily perception, while at the same time seeing this as a thing of beauty. This reminds me very strongly of my experiences on these 4-substituted DETs as well.... While I haven't had this exact train of thought on them, I have interestingly had a far higher focus on imagery like skeletons, decaying flowers, and weird, monstrous creatures among my visuals than I've ever gotten with any other psychedelic, while at the same time feeling that this was all fine and beautiful, being filled with nothing but love and acceptance for it all, and even a sense of excitement for it. Nonetheless, also like you say, even at this point there was no pushy mania at any time, my trips on these molecules have so far always been very calm and manageable for how intense they are, practically even sober in some ways.

Finally, I also think that these DETs can be utterly fantastic for music, and that's another part of why I consider them to be such powerful sensory amplifiers. A good song can be enough to propel you into a beautiful trip, as it seems you now know well.... Word to the wise: they're no slacks in the visual department in this way either.... Prepare to have fun at a higher dose. :D My experiences on them so far leads me to believe that they could also reach that level of utterly extreme, microscopic-feeling vision of LSD as well, that's my prediction anyway.... They already give me tons of tunnel vision and depth perception distortions and such when I take that visual of a dose, plus geometry that I sometimes literally cannot comprehend even while watching it. It's some wild stuff....

Anyway, I'll be very interested to hear what you have to say about your next higher dose since you do like this one so much, and what you'll think of 4-HO-MPT when you get to try it, as I do find them pretty similar but still also different in some key ways.... Thanks again for sharing, it was a good and informative read. :)

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_4acodet
substancecode_tryptamines
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaleida, whats your favorite dose for 4-AcO-DET? The most I've taken is 25mg, which was interesting but it wasn't enough. It seems like a promising chemical but I feel like I still don't have a good understanding of its character. If I tried it again I think I would take at least 35mg. For me it's less potent than 4-HO-MET or 4-HO-MiPT but feels like it could get a lot deeper. I did experience some of the anxiety and body load that other people have reported, but I suspect that taking a more immersive dose would make the trip more comfortable.

After trying 4-AcO-DET a few times, I gave my remaining 144mg to a friend of mine who has taken other 4-sub tryptamines and acid. He took all of the 4-AcO-DET at once. He says that it was the best psychedelic he's tried, although he didn't go into detail.

Second, as an extension of that, I have to say that I also find it very fascinating that you had these themes of decay and death to explain your subjective experience of your heightened bodily perception, while at the same time seeing this as a thing of beauty. This reminds me very strongly of my experiences on these 4-substituted DETs as well.... While I haven't had this exact train of thought on them, I have interestingly had a far higher focus on imagery like skeletons, decaying flowers, and weird, monstrous creatures among my visuals than I've ever gotten with any other psychedelic, while at the same time feeling that this was all fine and beautiful, being filled with nothing but love and acceptance for it all, and even a sense of excitement for it. Nonetheless, also like you say, even at this point there was no pushy mania at any time, my trips on these molecules have so far always been very calm and manageable for how intense they are, practically even sober in some ways.

I wonder if the Grateful Dead came up with their band name on the basis of this theme? I'm no Dead-head, but I just did a quick Google search, and apparently there are a number of legends surrounding the origin of their band name, one of which involves smoking DMT. :)

It seems like a promising chemical but I feel like I still don't have a good understanding of its character.

I have a feeling that the reason this particular psychedelic is so widely misunderstood is that people make the mistake of projecting the subconscious material raked up by 4-AcO-DET onto the drug itself, when in reality they're dealing with the skeletons in their own closet. The more trip reports I read for 4-AcO-DET, the more I drifted towards this conclusion, and I feel it was largely confirmed by my own experiences.

And, the fact that your friend took 144 mg of this stuff and had a positive trip is a remarkable testament to the high-dose potential of the compound, and to its safety as well!

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed TR, TheAppleCore! ;)

I have a feeling that the reason this particular psychedelic is so widely misunderstood is that people make the mistake of projecting the subconscious material raked up by 4-AcO-DET onto the drug itself, when in reality they're dealing with the skeletons in their own closet. The more trip reports I read for 4-AcO-DET, the more I drifted towards this conclusion, and I feel it was largely confirmed by my own experiences.

^^^Yes, I think so too :) With this chem spiritual preparation and preparations in general are always rewarded during the trip IME.

4-Aco-DET has been a great ally for me so far - have done it up to 25mg. But I really want to take it with Harmaline - something tells me I'll have it's character come out fully this way, just gotta find the right time 8)

^ You're welcome! :) Have you taken any other 4-substituted tryptamines with harmaline? If so, how has that worked for you? The 4-AcO-DET trip is quite brief, so it's actually rather tempting to extend the duration with an MAOI.

^ You're welcome! :) Have you taken any other 4-substituted tryptamines with harmaline? If so, how has that worked for you? The 4-AcO-DET trip is quite brief, so it's actually rather tempting to extend the duration with an MAOI.
Yes, I've taken Harmaline with 4-Aco-DMT, 4-Aco-MET, 4-HO-EPT and mushrooms (besides that I've taken it with DMT, MPT, LSD, AL-LAD, Mescaline, Methallylescaline and bk-2C-B).

I personally like to mix psychedelics with Harmaline. Besides extending the length of the trip and reducing the effective amount of the 4-sub tryptamine, it will make the trip dreamier and smoother. It usually makes it deeper and more introspective which is just fine by me 8)

My usual dose for Harmaline (A/B extracted from Syrian Rue) is about 100-150mg, depending on how deep I want to go and what compound I'm mixing it with.

I'm very curious about the MPT + MAOI combination, since many reports of MPT alone are underwhelming, but the substitution pattern seems to have some real magic in 4-HO-MPT. How was MPT + harmaline for you?

Ideally, I'd like to get my hands on some tetrahydroharmine for these experiments, since a lot of people who have tried it say that it's superior to the other harmala alkaloids.

Awesome report man, thanks for sharing! :) You described it very well, and a lot of your observations match mine. I've only tried 4-AcO-DET once though myself, well, after that time I also added a bit of it to a tryptamine mixture my friend and I took for the purposes of creatively playing music together and coming up with new stuff. But the first time I took it at like 30mg (I am somewhat insensitive to tryptamines), and it was very cerebral and confronting like LSD. But rather different from how mushrooms are confronting. The theme of my trip involved mortality and the aging process which I am beginning to experience (I'm 34 and for the first time I feel myself aging). It was very dark and edgy, also very personal and internal. I didn't experience much in the way of visuals, but I also find that visuals vary between individual trips quite a bit sometimes, particularly how strongly they manifest, so when I take it again I may be surprised. It's the kind of tryptamine that isn't exactly fun, but totally worth it. At least that's my opinion so far. I've taken tryptamines a number of times since then and other than adding a bit to a mixture I haven't chosen it again. But I will. :)

Thanks for reading! :> Wow -- so both you, Kaleida, and I have had thoughts related to the subject of mortality on 4-AcO-DET... Apparently that's a recurring theme with this one. :) Which is really cool, because I think confronting and accepting your own death is a very healing, liberating process.

I'm thinking I might actually go for 30 mg next time, too. I'm super curious about what happens on a full, strong +++ dose of this stuff. I hear the visuals are very exotic and beautiful.

Kaleida, whats your favorite dose for 4-AcO-DET? The most I've taken is 25mg, which was interesting but it wasn't enough. It seems like a promising chemical but I feel like I still don't have a good understanding of its character. If I tried it again I think I would take at least 35mg. For me it's less potent than 4-HO-MET or 4-HO-MiPT but feels like it could get a lot deeper. I did experience some of the anxiety and body load that other people have reported, but I suspect that taking a more immersive dose would make the trip more comfortable.

So far, I haven't gone above 30 mg, but I've done it both orally and smoked. Generally what you've said I would agree with, except 4-HO-MiPT which is not very potent for me.... 30 mg also does give me lots of cool visuals, but I still would want more for a full trip, I probably won't take less than 40 mg next time myself, but 35 mg would probably be a fine jump up too. At least, for the same kind of trip I'd get from 25-30 mg orally.... Smoking 30 mg was a different story, and involved dream-like hallucinations with eyes wide open in broad daylight and entity contact. However, on the other hand, a lot of the strangely beautiful geometry I got from 30 mg orally was no longer present. The trip was much more impressive, but I think I enjoyed the oral dosing more....

Yeah, 35 mg is probably a safe bet, though I wouldn't be too afraid to push higher either (as long as the proper precautions were taken, because I could see it potentially getting pretty extreme in the right headspace). I'll probably go even higher than 40 next time... though probably not above 50. I've got a good feeling about that number.

I wonder if the Grateful Dead came up with their band name on the basis of this theme? I'm no Dead-head, but I just did a quick Google search, and apparently there are a number of legends surrounding the origin of their band name, one of which involves smoking DMT. :)

I wouldn't be surprised. :) I actually have a family member who got some significant death imagery on LSD in the '60s on a few occasions, like one where he fucked up while hiking and was hanging over the edge of a cliff thinking he was about to die, and saw his body dissolving away to leave only the skeleton. I've talked to people who smoked DMT at house parties full of drunk people too (lol) and then emerged and saw everyone as a bunch of moving skeletons too.... Seems not uncommon to get these types of images. Actually, from a different perspective too, I usually get an extremely vivid image of my own skeleton in my body on tryptamines that produce extreme sensory overload, almost like I can literally just feel it and perceive its whole structure as it does things like click two different parts together just because my senses are so fucking enhanced.... Pretty interesting stuff if you ask me.

I'm thinking I might actually go for 30 mg next time, too. I'm super curious about what happens on a full, strong +++ dose of this stuff. I hear the visuals are very exotic and beautiful.

I'm sure you'd get something pretty interesting from 30 mg if you get this much from 16 mg, including hopefully some of those beautiful visuals. :)