View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is 40x salvia a good starting point?

PsychaStevic

Bluelight Crew
So I've never smoked salvia before and have always been interested in giving it a shot, I was wondering if 40x is a good starting point as I'm getting 2 grams of this. What's the best way to smoke it? How does the effects vary from person to person? Any insight welcome

In a pipe, smoke it in one shot. And keep the smoke inside for at least 15 seconds.
Be careful, it is really strong. Effects can vary widely between people. I am one of those ''lucky'' people who always hit me hard. It takes me about 8 years to forget how much panic I felt and smoke it again. A gram of 20x is a lifetime supply for me.
I tried to smoke really little, and even if it was not so absorbing, it was definitely not comfortable.
I don't like it much but it is quite impressive where it can take you. It is the most feared psychedelic I ever tried. Wish there was another method than smoking it, I don't like instant onsets.

Forgot to mention, you should have about 40 doses in a gram 40x. So 25mg. Other sources mention 10mg. So start there and work your way up.
This link explains good the dosage of extracts https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=17079
There has been some talk about if the normal dosage of salvia is in fact overdosing. I don't think it is dangerous physically, but you could explore lower dosages to get to know the mental space.

Last edited:
In a pipe, smoke it in one shot. And keep the smoke inside for at least 15 seconds.
Be careful, it is really strong. Effects can vary widely between people. I am one of those ''lucky'' people who always hit me hard. It takes me about 8 years to forget how much panic I felt and smoke it again. A gram of 20x is a lifetime supply for me.
I tried to smoke really little, and even if it was not so absorbing, it was definitely not comfortable.
I don't like it much but it is quite impressive where it can take you. It is the most feared psychedelic I ever tried. Wish there was another method than smoking it, I don't like instant onsets.

Forgot to mention, you should have about 40 doses in a gram 40x. So 25mg.
There has been some talk about if the normal dosage of salvia is in fact overdosing. I don't think it is dangerous physically, but you could explore lower dosages to get to know the mental space.
40 doses out of a gram? Wow, so I'm assuming a small pinch will do when using this stuff

40 strong doses. That kind of dose sends me to hiperspace. But thinking about it, as it is always uncomfortable, better to get far at least. Trip-sitter is very needed.
I edited up, check out the link.

Is it in any way similar to dmt?
No, just in the duration and potency. They are both very absorbing substances. But it is a very different animal. Has some dissociative properties, and you suffer a bit of amnesia so it is kind of difficult to remember the experience. I feel like I never learned anything important with Salvia while DMT always points me in the right way.
But as I said I am hipersensible to the effects of Salvia, so I am very much biased. In any case it is the perfect ''rite de passage''. You won't believe it is possible what you can experience.

No, just in the duration and potency. They are both very absorbing substances. But it is a very different animal. Has some dissociative properties, and you suffer a bit of amnesia so it is kind of difficult to remember the experience. I feel like I never learned anything important with Salvia while DMT always points me in the right way.
But as I said I am hipersensible to the effects of Salvia, so I am very much biased. In any case it is the perfect ''rite de passage''. You won't believe it is possible what you can experience.
Thanks for the tips man, I'm glad I came here first as I planned in just putting a decent sized pinch on the bowl, now I'll probably split it into at least 25-30 doses per gram and start from there, I just hear so many people speaking on it being a panic inducing and disorienting drug; is there any way to have a positive experience out of this? I.E. combine it with weed, or just a good set/setting?

I don't know, with my 8 years between doses I haven't felt any tolerance ;)
I heard some talk about reverse tolerance, like the more you take the more effect you get. It is strange because some people don't breakthrough in the first experiences. That was the case in my first experience, where two people before me didn't get much from the same dose that made the world look like cartoons to me. It is very strange really, because in my experience it is nothing about letting go, it is something completely absorbing that you cannot avoid.

I saw you said to split your gram in 25-30 doses. I encourage you to weight it if you have a scale and don't take more than 25mg. That is 40 doses per gram.

About set and setting for sure they are important. Specially setting, take it in a relax place with people you are comfortable with. Try to be in a place where you cannot get hurt. I myself move quite a lot when I take it, kind of trying to escape.

Don't know about the weed, I was for sure stone the first time I took it, as I was always stoned at that epoque. Probably it doesn't affect much the effect.

And don't get put off for my fearmongering talk. Some people love it. And I don't regret to have been there. And I will do again...in 6 years...

Last edited:
40 just seems on the light end kind of, but it is better safe than sorry so I'll start there and work my way up if there's no tolerance buildup

I have been reading a bit about salvia. Some people report good results combining it with benzos. Not that I recommend it for a first-timer. But it would be nice if somebody could give us some info about the combo.
Benzos are supposed to decrease psychedelic effects, but such a tiger like Salvia, I doubt it can take away a lot, maybe more risk of amnesia, or blackout. But maybe just a decrease in anxiety and a more enjoyable experience.

Pregabalin comes to mind too. That sounds like an idea.

With salvia, I have had to maintain an effort to relax and keep letting go. delegating that central tasking-theme to a benzo just seems wrong.

Honestly salvia is the sort of thing most people want to do once or very infrequently. I have met people who love it and use it more often though. I have never taken it to breakthrough territory, I've had a variety of light experiences though which ranged from pleasant to uncomfortable, always interesting however. The reports of breakthroughs (read up if you haven't already, there are tons of them on Erowid) nearly always sound terrifying but utterly fascinating. You really should start small, you can always take more later. I don't believe it produces much tolerance at all. A milligram scale is highly, highly recommended, that way you know what you're taking.

Of all the drugs I've tried and those I haven't because I'm scared to or haven't had a chance, the salvia breakthrough makes me the most nervous to try it..

With salvia, I have had to maintain an effort to relax and keep letting go. delegating that central tasking-theme to a benzo just seems wrong.
Ya with pregabalin sounds much better, isn't it? :D

I always look for pharmacological help to solve my problems more than I should. I am working on it. I don't think in this lifetime there will be time enough to manage to relax when salvinorin A gets in my system, that sounds like a whole lot of meditation. Curiously, I kind of manage with everything else, but Salvia feels like you have too little skin for the amount of body, you are kind of about to explode. It is like you want to jump out of the body but you can't. I always plan to be sit and don't stand up during the trip, especially when I did it alone, but I always end up jumping around running for my life. Last time with a really low dose, it took me by surprise, after running around the house with no aim, I just grabbed the harmonica and blow on it hard and rhythmically to get my attention away from the feeling, not even thinking about making any kind of music, noise would be fine. Basically, it works like a panicogenic to me. Still, those crazy lands have to be seen...

Anyway if you have any tip, I surely could make use of it. I am a slow learner but I do my best.

Honestly salvia is the sort of thing most people want to do once or very infrequently. I have met people who love it and use it more often though. I have never taken it to breakthrough territory, I've had a variety of light experiences though which ranged from pleasant to uncomfortable, always interesting however. The reports of breakthroughs (read up if you haven't already, there are tons of them on Erowid) nearly always sound terrifying but utterly fascinating. You really should start small, you can always take more later. I don't believe it produces much tolerance at all. A milligram scale is highly, highly recommended, that way you know what you're taking.

Of all the drugs I've tried and those I haven't because I'm scared to or haven't had a chance, the salvia breakthrough makes me the most nervous to try it..

I've only tried it once and it honestly scared the shit out of me.. I'm still petrified of it to this day, 17 years later. I'm still convinced I wouldn't have come back from wherever I was if my friend wasn't there to help me out.

Your fear is not irrational, still Xorkoth, those crazy lands have to be seen. Remember the earthquake just lasts max 10min...of ''real'' time.

I'm one of the rare people that loves Salvia, I've smoked it many times, and at one point I used it on a daily basis for a couple of weeks.

Have a trip sitter. Unless you're in a padded cell and don't mind spilling the contents of your pipe all over yourself, you don't want to have your first Salvia trip alone. Overall Salvia has a very good safety profile (you'll be lying on your back for most of the trip), but it is a powerful dissociative and you can hurt yourself if you're not careful.

It's best smoked with a water pipe but can be smoked with a normal pipe.

The smoke tastes worse than Cannabis smoke but is bearable if you're prepared for it. You'll need to hold it in your lungs for at least a few seconds to get a proper dose.

Is it in any way similar to dmt?

DMT is like sitting strapped in the starship enterprise and heading off into space; Salvia is like being tied to the front of a missile!

It is not an enjoyable trip imho, but that's not to say it isn't worthwhile. On one occasion taking it I was sure I was dying; I was terrified at the beginning but it levelled off when I accepted I was dead!

If it were me I'd go the DMT route instead of Salvia. You can also use Salvia as a quid. You need the fresh leaves for that and it is a much easier experience.

Strictly weigh it with a milligram scale, salvia extracts with any remote potency beyond plain leaf aren't for eyeballing unless you are seasoned all the way from spring to winter... it might be a (fortified) herb but that doesn't mean it is comparable to other herbs.

No reason why you couldn't use any potency of salvia product as long as you handle and weigh accurately enough to use the dosage deliberately chosen.. the more potent the extract the less there are other substances in there besides salvinorin A so the less margin of error there is. Also more potent extracts may be inhaled more readily once it's heated enough whereas weak products can take longer to get it all in you, because of the extra carrier materials and the properties. Inexperienced users therefore can have multiple ways of being caught off guard when the dose hits, especially if they have been much less successful before that point.