• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Flying Internationally - Stop Smoking?

boardwarp

Greenlighter
Hi all,

Just got back from seeing my psych who was telling me how he got swabbed across the stomach for drugs at Melbourne airport recently. As it happens I'm flying from Melbourne to LAX and then onto Toronto Pearson in two days. I'm also a regular (daily) smoker.

So this has spiked my paranoia big time. Should I stop smoking like right away to avoid a positivite swab? Would I miss my flight if I tested positive but wasn't carrying anything illegal?

Please help put my mind at ease!

Yeah, apparently they got him to lift his shirt and they ran a swab over his stomach and sternum, similar to the one they use to check bags for bombs. He asked what it was for, was told drugs.

As far as I know THC doesnt leach out through your skin.. Its held in your fat cells. Oral swabs only test for if you smoked like that day. So I dont see why youd need to stop smoking.

It's a dye linked immuno-sorbent indicator. They may very well be looking for narcotics or amphetamines and *NOT* THC.

I went on medical retirement 4 weeks ago and for 7/28 years I was analysing drugs using HPLC, GC, GC/MS and TLC. I was never worried about crossing any border, failing any drug test or having to cook any results.

I'd fail a urine, blood or saliva test - but the appropriate authorities are more than welcome to swab my stomach if it gets their rocks off.

Tom

what would they do even if they could prove you had been ingesting drugs?

it seems they are more likely looking for those who are smuggling.

as long as you aren't bringing drugs with you, you should be fine.

Use Visine and change clothes before going to airport if you reek. Smelling like weed or patchouli (worse) could get you a private cavity search. *snaps gloves* and your luggage pulled.