Study Bimagrumab Myostatin Blocker - Promising Results

CFC

Bluelight Crew
I've been promising to write up something about the early results of Novartis' prospective myostatin blocker called Bimagrumab at the conclusion of its first clinical trial on 251 patients for months now.

This is basically a follow up from a post made by Pharmbiak a few years ago, which you can read >>here<<

RESILIENT: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Bimagrumab in Patients With Sporadic Inclusion Body Myositis (P1.111)

Neurology: April 18, 2017 vol. 88 no. 16 Supplement P1.111

Objective: To examine efficacy and safety of bimagrumab (BYM338 ) in patients with sporadic inclusion body myositis (sIBM) measured by physical function, muscle strength, and muscle mass.

Conclusions: Bimagrumab was generally safe and well-tolerated in the sIBM patient population. The results from this phase IIb/III study showed that at Week 52 self-reported physical functioning (measured by sIFA)was significantly better preserved compared to baseline in patients treated with bimagrumab 10 mg/kg versus placebo. The study did not, however, reach the primary endpoint of improving the 6MWD or show an improvement in muscle strength.

The full paper has not been published yet. However what I have heard is that patients experienced substantial muscle growth but not gains in strength - this is fully in line with what we would expect from a myostatin blocker.

Following on from this, a more recent paper (published yesterday) tested Bimagrumab on 16 insulin-resistant patients and reveals some pretty significant improvements in body composition: 8% bodyfat loss in 10 weeks and 2.7% increase in LBM, plus dramatic improvements in insulin sensitivity, without any changes to diet or exercise:

Bimagrumab improves body composition and insulin sensitivity in insulin-resistant subjects.

Diabetes Obes Metab. 2017 Jun 23. doi: 10.1111/dom.13042

BACKGROUND:
Skeletal muscle is a key mediator of insulin resistance. Bimagrumab, an antibody against activin receptor type II (ActRII), prevents binding of negative muscle regulators, like myostatin, and increases lean mass and decreases fat mass in animal models.

OBJECTIVE:
We hypothesized that an improving body composition in insulin resistant individuals could enhance insulin sensitivity.

METHODS:
Sixteen individuals with mean body mass index (BMI) = 29.3 kg/m2 and insulin resistance, received a single dose of bimagrumab or placebo and were assessed at Week 10 for insulin sensitivity, with hyperinsulinemic euglycemic (H-E) clamp and intravenous glucose tolerance test (IVGTT), and for body composition, with dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) and Positron emission tomography (PET) scan.

RESULTS:
Bimagrumab increased lean mass by 2.7% (p < 0.05) and reduced fat mass by 7.9% (p = 0.011) at Week 10 compared to placebo, with a neutral effect on body weight. Bimagrumab reduced HbA1c by 0.21% at Week 18 (p < 0.001) and improved insulin sensitivity by ~20% (using the clamp) to ~40% (using the IVGTT).

CONCLUSION:
Taken the observed changes together and in consideration that these occurred without accompanying dietary intervention and without any prescribed regular physical exercise, bimagrumab may offer a novel approach for the treatment of metabolic complications of obesity.

Now, I'd assume some bodybuilders over at Oxygen Gym have indeed had access to this compound, given the sudden and not-so-subtle improvements in size and (particularly) leanness while bulking of various physiques that have traveled over there one-after-the-other for a little 'boost' over the last 18-24 months ;)

Regardless, it looks like we finally have a well-tolerated and relatively effective myostatin blocker. Combining this with heavy lifting, cardio and a good diet, most people could expect to see some improvements in physique of at least equal-to, if not better than, (thanks to the tendency for simultaneously lowered bodyfat/improved insulin sensitivity) any average cycle of AAS. But, of course, with fewer deleterious side-effects and no virilizing properties.

Papers:
#1 http://www.neurology.org/content/88/16_Supplement/P1.111.short
#2 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28643356

As an addendum to this, I should also publish up the critique suggesting Bimagrumab may have a negative on the basis of its tendency to also block GDF11 and not just GDF8 (myostatin):

GDF11 is a blood-borne rejuvenation factor that in rodents reverses aging-induced cardiac hypertrophy, boosts blood flow and neurogenesis in the brain, and restores strength and endurance to aged skeletal muscle—at least according to Science and Cell papers from Harvard groups led by stem cell biologist Amy Wagers and cardiologist Richard Lee

The criticism has largely been discounted, but it's worth being aware of, and you can read all about it >>here<<

I think, for once, it's not. Now we just have work on getting a reliable supply into the bodybuilding mainstream to see what it can do for the average meathead.

Long time lurker here and made an account today because of this topic. Been a big fan of these MY blockers for a long time and these results are nothing sort of amazing. Imagine what could be achieved with a proper diet and harcore weight training? OP you are one legit fellow and smart as hell! Any idea how are rats can obtain this?

Any idea how are rats can obtain this?

Ha! :) I'm keeping my eyes open on the peptide/chem sites; we're waiting for some entrepreneurial Chinese or Indian manufacturers to figure it out.

Interesting, looking forward to what the future holds in regards to myostatin drugs.

Must be nice to have a natural deficiency though...

IE
michael-lockett-featured.png