HIIT questions

Artificial Emotion

Bluelighter
After starting to incorporate HIIT into my workout schedule I've been doing my own research into this training method and there seems to be a dizzying array of opinions and anecdotes regarding what the best approach is. So I thought I'd ask here since you guys have been so helpful to me so far. My goal is to lose as much bodyfat as possible and improve my fitness!

I've been doing an all out sprint for 30 seconds followed by 2 mins of walking and so on, so that in total I do four sets of 30 second 'sprints' and four 'rest' periods where I walk slowly so that my heart rate returns to baseline.

- Is four sets/sprints (or whatever you call it) the right amount or would you do fewer, or more?

- Is the 2 min walking 'rest' period long enough or too long?

- It takes a while to increase the speed on the treadmill up to sprinting speed, so does this period of time count towards the sprint interval? Or does the 30 seconds start when I've sped up to sprinting speed?

- I've read that you should give at least 48 hours inbetween each HIIT session. Is this right? Or can I do HIIT sessions on consecutive days?

Last edited:
3-4 sets is adequate, especially if you're doing HIIT frequently.

15-20 seconds maximum intensity is also more than enough - think of a 100m sprint. I rarely do more than 15 secs.

2 mins walk is good. When doing shuttle/wind sprints, I just slowly walk back to the start and repeat - probably 1 min rest really.

Try running in a park or track rather than a treadmill? Otherwise, count the 5 seconds it takes to max as part of your 15-20 seconds.

You're probably best sticking to an EOD protocol, but given that (at 15 secs/set x 4) you're only doing 1 minute of all-out effort, you should easily be able to handle it daily if you've adapted to it and so wish (though stay just a touch under full effort). As always, gague your training by how rested/recovered you feel - we're all capable of different levels of output.

As always you're advice is appreciated, so thank you.

I'm surprised it's okay to do it daily as so many people seem to suggest you have to have at least 48 hours rest from each HIIT session but I trust your input more so I'll take your word for it.

Just stick with how your body feels. If you really push yourself every time you do it, then EOD would be best. Many people I know don't really do 'intense', and for them we can be more flexible.

Is there any reason you want to do it every day plus your weights and other regular cardio?

I just want to lose bodyfat as quickly as possible so if I can fit an HIIT session in every day I will.

Don't. It will backfire. Your body will only lose fat so fast. If you push too hard, you'll just lose muscle. Patience mate! ;)

If fatloss totally slows/stops, then you'd be justified in doing the HIIT every day, but you may need to drop 1-2 of your normal cardio sessions.

Again, it all depends on how you're feeling, sleeping, and any changes to your bodyfat/LBM levels. If you keep an eye on all that, you can see the effect of any changes you make to your routine and that way you'll know you're being optimal. Some people can tolerate a lot of exercise in both intensity and quantity, others crash out quickly.

So just to be clear, I should be doing normal low intensity steady state cardiovascular exercise as well as HIIT?

When you asked last week, the advice I gave was this:

I also agree with GF, some HIIT would be good - you could stick 5mins or so of it after every other training session for good effect: 10-20 seconds all out sprint, 1-2 min walk, repeat a couple times. But try to keep the medium-intensity running as well, that type of activity is good for the chondrocytes in the joints and will reduce the risk of arthritis.

Try not to overthink. We can't give you a perfect cookie-cutter answer for all this because there isn't one - if you feel like you're overtraining, cut back. Experience will teach you what you're ultimately capable of but, until then, do what feels comfortable, healthful, and adjust according to your goals, lifestyle and free time.

Based on what you told us before, you're aiming towards 1-3 sessions of 20-40mins medium intensity running, 3-4 sessions of 5-10 mins HIIT, and however many sessions you've decided to do of weights/some unilateral training. Start with lower frequency, and gradually add sessions and intensity as time goes on. If fatloss truly stops, add walking/very low intensity activities rather than even more HIIT or MISS sessions. The biggest mistake would be to ramp up frequency/intensity too fast - your body will fight you and you'll just lose muscle.

And finally, consistency is infinitely more important than having an ideal routine, so be realistic. Spending all your free time working out and eating perfectly for 3 months to lose some fat only to quit for 6 after would be self-defeating, but it's what I see a lot of guys eventually doing when they aim too high/quick. Don't be that person. Go slow and steady, and do something you can stick to long-term.

For me I do weights Monday, Wednesday and Friday followed by 10 minutes of HIIT. It's done in 1 minute rest and 30 second sprints on a bike. The other day I do 35 minutes of medium intensity steady state cardio. Fat is coming off nicely.

On days I do HIIT and steady state cardio should I have a break between workouts or is it okay to do the steady state cardio straight after the HIIT?

Last edited:
You can do it before or after, you won't lose the benefits of either by combining them. I do HIIT in my local park. It's about a 10 mins jog there, which warms up my joints nicely, then I do my 5-10 mins sprints, then I have a 10 mins jog back home.