• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin So I tried Heroin tonight.

Szl

Greenlighter
Sorry this might be a bit of a novel, thank you in advance for those of you who make it through and offer advice. I hope I dont come across as smug or stupid, its not my intent at all.

This evening I tried Heroin via IV for the first time. I have tried Heroin a few times in my life, smoking it and snorting it when I was MUCH younger, but I never really got "off" on it.

I had 2 friends die from it, my brother is an ex addict and my best friend has been a full blown addict for 20 years (Im 39). This may seem stupid to some of you, but to be honest, I had to know what it was like... What is so great about it that people give everything up or risk death.

Outside of tonight I have been sober for 4 years. When I was 15-22 I did almost every drug, stopping at 22, then drinking (not heavily) from 22-35.

To be frank, I didnt enjoy it at all. I found the rush too intense, I didnt like the ear popping feeling, I was feeling sick, I was very dizzy and I didnt like being on the couch for 4 hours doing nothing but nodding off. I found towards the end of the buzz it was more enjoyable once the dizzyness and nausea went away and I was listening to some Bitches Brew, but still not the OMFG I was expecting. I feel satisfied knowing I tried it though and have a slightly better understanding of it.

Now Im scared of becoming an addict (stupid I know) after reading a few threads around here and other sites... I think I am just looking for reassurance. When I was young I did quite a bit of blow and stopped immediately once I realized I was "craving" it rather than just using casually. I did the same with drinking, when I found myself craving a drink 4 years ago, I just stopped doing it. I was once prescribed oxy for a kidney stone and while I really enjoyed the buzz, I was able to easily toss the pills in the garbage, even though I sort of wanted to use the rest of them (I passed the stone). I also stopped smoking cold turkey when my daughter was born, so I think I have a pretty good track record when it comes to being in control, but people say H is much worse. My friend who I used with offered me more and I told him I didnt want it.

I also enjoy being sober very much and dont miss the life of getting high. I have a really great life and my hobbies and my family are better than any drug I have tried.

Am I gonna ruin my life?
Will I have withdrawal from trying it once?
Will I have a hangover from it?

Thanks so much for your time.

You will not ruin your life. It sounds pretty simple at this point. You were curious, you tried it and you will NEVER use it again. Does that sound about right?

You will not have withdrawals. What will happen is you will sleep and wake up feeling normal and you will move on with your life as if nothing happened.

You won't have withdrawal, probably won't even feel any different when you wake up in the morning.

DONT DO IT AGAIN NO MATTER WHAT. Be careful. It's so insidious, though you may be 100% sure you won't do it again, it just takes that one little thought planted in the back of your mind that can grow.

I am the same age as you and had a history of addiction from a young age, stopped everything to have my kids and had a lot of clean time up, nearly 2 decades. I stupidly picked up H a few months ago 'for old times sake' and have been shooting up several times a day since. That was not the plan but of course I knew better, I get addicted to everything? It didn't even WORK the first couple of times I had it this time around as I was being cautious and didn't have enough but I still went back even though I got nothing from it - and really don't now it's a regular thing again.

Stick with the train of thought you have right now and don't touch the stuff again! People do grow to love it, a lot don't like it at first so even one more time and you're really going to be playing with fire. But as it stands, tomorrow you can move on and you probably won't even feel a single bit different. Good luck and stay away!

Definitely as the person above says stick to what your thinking... That's just how it is. I can say the same thing about the first time I tried smoking herb now I smoke daily. Most hate it at first as I'm guessing most tolerant people don't know a low dose of their batch so when they introduce their next victim (I was once told whoever introduces you or is willing to give you heroin the first time iv is not your friend) they end up giving them an overdose that's not lethal, but rather toxic and leading to the nausea and dizziness you describe. Nowadays drinking my poppy seed tea I notice nothing until hours later I might be sleepy if exhausted and after a full night sleep I feel more rested with a more natural deep sleep feeling only opiods cause, but at a very steep cost. Honestly most don't realize they are in the grip of a violent dependancy leading to addict behaviors. It's just something better not to start.

That being said I understand wanting to get over the curiosity of understanding the desire to use. It comes at a great price and that being the temptation of the desire to use as we are all humans and in the end will have the same drives as everyone else even if in different ways. Now that you have used it though you can know why and how to avoid it. You can tell yourself why it is not worth it so if you're ever in a rough place you don't fall victim to "turning to lady h in a dark place" (sounds like a really good title right to like a poem or song?) as that's when we are most vulnerable to becoming dependant. Plus you can use what you know to express to others why it's not a good idea to use from your one experience expressing the lack of this dream effect, which is really the relief of serious withdrawals in an instant plus that feeling making it seem like heaven after suffering in true hell only to come crashing down falling farther and farther going deeper and deeper into that hell making that heaven harder to reach while 6 feet under starts to seem the only way out, and combining that with the cases of struggle you have seen that I bet outnumber those who don't.

I'll also add people are injected with Morphine, dilaudid, fentanyl, and whatever such as demerol back in the day only to return to their usual lives without falling into addiction so not all hope is lost after one use. That's just a media scare tactic such as:

Taking LSD 7 times will make you legally insane if the strychnine doesn't kill you first

-or-

That ecstacy will cause holes in your brains and even one pill could kill you.

The last part of the 2nd statement is the only thing true, which is why test kits are important as pills, papers, powders, or any medium could contain anything including legal pma/pmma both of which are lethal in low doses with no active effect only toxic.

the more you do heroin the better it gets, especially once you're dependent on it...then that shot is like total bliss when you are withdrawing and finally have it.

It's fucked up looking forward to being sick so you get a rush of becoming well , fucked up shit

I knew it... It sucks especially if you're aim is managing chronic pain then it's a nightmare. I actually might fall into the pool of people who end up being rescued by pst. I missed half the crap movie I nodded so hard the first time in a long time. I'll probably skip my methadone too and stay reducing the dose although I definitely need to with the tea as well and keep it as a low doses every 6 hours..... Off topic anyways I knew the only reason to iv was the instantaneous relief not a blissful rush like it really had effect. The closest I got was dilaudid, but now my tolerance doesn't let me and even if it does its rare.... Still he subtle lasting effects of oxymorphone was the best.

Be careful. It's so insidious, though you may be 100% sure you won't do it again, it just takes that one little thought planted in the back of your mind that can grow.

I am the same age as you and had a history of addiction from a young age, stopped everything to have my kids and had a lot of clean time up, nearly 2 decades. I stupidly picked up H a few months ago 'for old times sake' and have been shooting up several times a day since. That was not the plan but of course I knew better, I get addicted to everything It didn't even WORK the first couple of times I had it this time around as I was being cautious and didn't have enough but I still went back even though I got nothing from it - and really don't now it's a regular thing again.

Good luck and stay away!

I totally agree, now it's up to you.
I wouldn't even come close to Heroin again if I were you.
Wish you the best of luck!
Take care

. This may seem stupid to some of you, but to be honest, I had to know what it was like... What is so great about it that people give everything up or risk death.

I think the answer, as you seem to have realised, is that it's not actually that good. This 'ultimate high' idea is somewhat of a fallacy.

Heroin just has a very powerful grip, and at a certain point very early in the 'relationship', you can't not take it without feeling incredibly sick. So you take more. Next thing you know its a few years down the line and you lost your job and all your friends and all you know is heroin. And you still feel sick if you don't take it. So you just do what it takes to feel vaguely more normal, even though you despise it.