• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

seizures & MDMA

Mr Dobalina

Ex-Bluelighter
So I have a history of seizures. Ive had two in my life. My qudstion is will alprazolam prevent me from having a seizure if I take MDMA?

Thanks for any information you may have.

Anticonvulsants such as benzos will certainly reduce the risk of having a seizure, but obviously it's not a guarantee. And I'm not sure what your relationship with benzos is, but just remember that coming off them, or more pertinently withdrawing from them, includes the risk of a grand mal.

A longer acting benzo such as clonazepam or diazepam would probably be a safer choice; alprazolam has a pretty short half-life, whereas they don't. :)

Thanks for the reply. I Dont take Alprazolam everyday so theres no withdrawal to worry about it. I have diazepam on hand so what would you say is a good dose of diazepam to prevent seizures?

Thanks for the reply. I Dont take Alprazolam everyday so theres no withdrawal to worry about it. I have diazepam on hand so what would you say is a good dose of diazepam to prevent seizures?

It really depends on on your usual effective dose/tolerance, and seizure history.

Probably 10-20mg for most people depending on these factors. Ideally you don't want to blackout, but you don't want to take an ineffective dose either.

My dose to benzos is low as I rarely take take them.
Last benzo i took was about a month ago.

My tolerance to MDMA is non existant as the last time I rolled was towards the end of 2016.

I wont black out from the diazepam as 20mg is equal to 1mg Alprazolam and I dont black out from that.

My seizure history is I have had two seizures in my life and the nuerologist couldnt find an answer as to why I had the seizures.

I too have a history of seizures - one in infancy and one when I was 22 - I have never taken medication for seizures.
Even so I have experienced seizures on mdma, although this must be qualified, as the seizures have only occurred on the comedown after smoking cannabis and inhaling poppers.
No harm was done, and I felt no ill effects. It was more alarming for the people who saw it happen.
If you are concerned, perhaps it would be best to ensure that you roll in an environment where should you fit, nothing bad can happen to you.

It's impossible to say, but the risk will be significantly reduced.

What do you think?

I think it will prevent a seizure as ive done a lot of reading and people say they have been on diazepam and they havent had seizures.

Or what about klonopin? Isnt that mainly used for seizures?

Last edited:
Klonopin = clonazepam which I mentioned in my first post. Both are effective anticonvulsants due to their long half lives.

But isnt klonopin more effective at preventing seizures than other Benzos or are they all the same?

I've got no idea really; different benzos are used for slightly different purposes regarding seizures.

All I know is that something with a long half life would be preferable.

What about taking gabapentin beforehand?

Edit**i have read that gabapentin can cause seizures as well as preventing them. Would this only be for people using it for other reasons than epilepsy and then they get a paradox effect?

Last edited:
I dunno man, this thread is sketchy at best anyway. We can't really be helping people actively avoid seizures in this way, especially with varying concoctions of potential seizure reducing and/or inducing medication. All I know is that diazepam/clonazapam increase the seizure threshold quite effectively, whereas MDMA lowers it somewhat. How much depends on a number of factors that nobody can really pinpoint.

If you're going to do it then I'd suggest having a friend there to call for medical assistance if required, and not taking too many combinations of drugs at once. :)

I dunno man, this thread is sketchy at best anyway. We can't really be helping people actively avoid seizures in this way, especially with varying concoctions of potential seizure reducing and/or inducing medication. All I know is that diazepam/clonazapam increase the seizure threshold quite effectively, whereas MDMA lowers it somewhat. How much depends on a number of factors that nobody can really pinpoint.

If you're going to do it then I'd suggest having a friend there to call for medical assistance if required, and not taking too many combinations of drugs at once. :)

Ok, also if a drugs half life is 29 hours how many hours until the drug has cleared my system? Is 27 hours correct?

I too have a history of seizures - one in infancy and one when I was 22 - I have never taken medication for seizures.
Even so I have experienced seizures on mdma, although this must be qualified, as the seizures have only occurred on the comedown after smoking cannabis and inhaling poppers.
No harm was done, and I felt no ill effects. It was more alarming for the people who saw it happen.
If you are concerned, perhaps it would be best to ensure that you roll in an environment where should you fit, nothing bad can happen to you.
how do you control your seizures if you dont take medication?

Benzos completely kill the roll for me so if I take them together its a total waste of mdma.

how do you control your seizures if you dont take medication?

Well I don't have seizures in normal circumstances but have a seizure once in your life and you have a history of seizures. So I have experienced two such events.
On both occasions they have started with hallucinations followed by total loss of vision followed by loss of awareness.
Both times the medics muttered something about the vagus nerve. Prescribed mild benzo's which I didn't bother taking.
My GP took a medical history a while back and I mentioned the two seizures, so he wrote "has a history of seizures".
Like I said I have seized a few times on the comedown from mdma after smoking cannabis and using poppers.
The last episode was 3 years ago. No harm done. But my partner finds it scary.