• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can "falling out" but not overdosing on opiates cause brain damage?

U

Unregistd111

Most of the dope going around in my neck of the woods is fentanyl crap and despite trying to avoid it sometimes post shot you'll kinda "fall out" but not actually overdose you're just supeeerrr fucked up for a little bit.

I was wondering if this or a heavy nod can cause some level of brain damage considering that opiates in general lower your blood oxygen level.

I don't know if all the dope really is fent but p much everyone assumes that it is cause after the first couple mins there is no euphoria only sedation.

I dont think I can reply to this so thank you in advance everyone.

by definition 'falling out' is not the same as an OD because its merely a loss of consciousness for a while but not a loss of breath
brain damage is a result of hypoxia which is a result of CNS depression which is a results of an OD
to fall out is the business end of the nod, its close to but in no way an OD - hope that helps

As you said if your brain is deprived off oxygen for too long brain damage will develop until it's too severe... It could look like someone's sleeping normally even as they go to lie down and could die of an od. With fent I don't know if it's hours later due to a short half life, but it could trigger the od, which if cut with a loner acting agonist could end up keeping you under.

I've also seen someone mention that fentanyl when iv no matter what dose causes chest lock or something pretty much preventing breathing that happens even at regular doses or low dose when iv while other roads don't although I'm not sure about im

I didn't really enjoy H on the rare occasions when I did it, but I did love Fentanyl omg did I love smoking that shit. I did get it from the source though and it tasted so good and made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I never shot it though... About the brain damage, I don't know about falling out causing brain damage, but my girlfriend was a 6 year user and I helped/forced her to kick because there is no helping a six year user stop. You have to be forceful and careful and take alot of care of them and with them, but you can't let them near a phone or outside unsupervised or even near car keys. You can't even really trust them going to the bathroom because when they have been using for that long they have stashes and residue EVERYWHERE.
On to the point thuogh, after I helped her quit, she was unable to finnish sentences and had to look up at the cieling when she spoke so she could remember how to finnish her sentences, and sometimes whe would say some of the most retarded things and then be like no thats not true and then laugh at herself and then stop and be like oh wait is it true? all out loud. She would do this when she was high on H but I assumed it was just because she was fucked up.
she has been sober with me for 2 years now, and she is just now beeing able to really engage in a conversation without saying really outlandishly retarded shit and still wondering if it could be true. she is able to engage in conversation and she is back to normal now, but I have had to walk her through every step, I have had to get her to sit down and do brain exercises engage in brain training activities and I constantly had to correct her, there were times when I just wanted to give up, infact there were times when I did give up and I told her just to fuck off away from me because I am too young for this shit and I want to fuck other women.
She stuck it out though and she is pretty much back to normal now after about a year and a half.
My point is, you are going to cause yourself brain damage, and unless you are very self motivated, or you have someone who truly cares about you. You are not going to be able to return to who you were before ever again. Even if you do get help, you will still never really be the same. I am sure you are aware of this, but in the long run there is no point in your current course of action, you can never be your best person if you maintain this addiction.
I know I never wanted to stop smoking meth, but I couldn't smoke metha round someone who I was trying to make quit Heroin, she thought heroin was good for her and she called me a hypocrite for smoking meth around her, I tried to stick it out and I even shared it with her because I was under the illusion it was good for me also.
In the end I had to quit to help her quit and long story short ^^^^^^ (not really) ^^^^^^ regardless of whether you are nupping out or not, after prolonged use, when you stop, you are going to realize you have lost most of who you were and you will have to practically build a new person out of nothing but drug a history of taking drugs which have defined you for years. Not worth it no matter how good the high is.

Honestly you sound kind of kind a dick to your gf no offense, but you're talking about brain damage then bring up a completely normal conversational trait that obviously comes from social anxiety exaggerating self conscious thoughts causing her to lose her train of thought that had nothing to do with her use because she did it before you just thought it was not only something she did because she was high, but that you find to be stupid. If you think that way about your gf you are supposedly possibly in love with.... I mean if it's stupid, but you can't help love it that's one thing although you don't sound like that's your train of thought from your statement.

Just saying anyways I'm going to read the rest of your post, but it doesn't seem to make any point towards possibly developing brain damage even if one doesn't od just fall out, which is the same thing although falling out does not mean a fatal od is the only possibly as if they are saved with narcan and rescue breathing or a respirator then yes one could develop brain damage, which has happened to a quite active member here.

Edit: Honestly you are a hypocrite..... Maybe your gf didn't have as good of a education as you have and is finally able to break through her self doubt because she had someone who took the effort to really help her. Maybe you should let her help you and if you're telling her she needs to be clean maybe you should try it as well. What is the point if you have someone you really enjoy spending time with that doesn't include someone you use drugs with. I may know nothing about you and be completely wrong here, but if you don't wise up and realize what you got she just might and realize she can do better so take my advice if you want as it's up to you, but honestly not my life or problem.

Last edited:
Honestly you sound kind of kind a dick to your gf no offense, but you're talking about brain damage then bring up a completely normal conversational trait that obviously comes from social anxiety exaggerating self conscious thoughts causing her to lose her train of thought that had nothing to do with her use because she did it before you just thought it was not only something she did because she was high, but that you find to be stupid. If you think that way about your gf you are supposedly possibly in love with.... I mean if it's stupid, but you can't help love it that's one thing although you don't sound like that's your train of thought from your statement.

Just saying anyways I'm going to read the rest of your post, but it doesn't seem to make any point towards possibly developing brain damage even if one doesn't od just fall out, which is the same thing although falling out does not mean a fatal od is the only possibly as if they are saved with narcan and rescue breathing or a respirator then yes one could develop brain damage, which has happened to a quite active member here.

Edit: Honestly you are a hypocrite..... Maybe your gf didn't have as good of a education as you have and is finally able to break through her self doubt because she had someone who took the effort to really help her. Maybe you should let her help you and if you're telling her she needs to be clean maybe you should try it as well. What is the point if you have someone you really enjoy spending time with that doesn't include someone you use drugs with. I may know nothing about you and be completely wrong here, but if you don't wise up and realize what you got she just might and realize she can do better so take my advice if you want as it's up to you, but honestly not my life or problem.

I admit, I am a dick to my girlfriend, I took on way more than I could handle, and I regret it. I am not defending myself, I am just beeing honest. I am not an overeductaed asshole who doesn't understand that just because your vocabulary isn't extensive your are an idiot. I grew up moving from school to school my whole life I got kicked out of two and the longest time I was ever in one school was 3 years and that was from primary to 2nd year. I never finnished basic level education and never went to highschool.

She finnished college and is in sever debt because of it, something else I am taking on. I am not perfect by any means, and I know I am an ass, I ask her constantly why she is still with me when I am such an asshole. It worries me, I don't know how to be kinder and I wish she would leave me so I can work myself out. I have totally lost touch with myself and I worry that leaving her will only cause her to return to her old ways. I care for her, I just don't know how to show it correctly.

So I just make sure she is ok and sober and happy. I avoid talking to her too much so I don't say mean shit, but when I get drunk I get very verbally abusive and I wake up the next morning and hate myself, I tell her I don't want to drink anymore, but she begs me to go get alcohol and then she gets drunk and drives me crazy and I drink. If I tell her no, she will just go down to the store and buy it herself. It is a horrible cycle and I every time she has had the chance to use again she has. So I know I can't just leave her.

I am only 22 and my life hasn't been exactly a perfect path to betterment, but I am trying. I want to love her like she loves me, but I feel like I have so much to expierience still and I am not ready to settle down, bt I don't know what to do.... I haven't smoked meth for 2 years, I quit when she did by the way. I don't hide anything from her. I have gotten high twice since then, first time was with her I was at a friends house whose mom did meth (I did not know this at the time) and I went into the kitchen to help my friend cook and I came back not 5 minutes later and there she was doing a fucking line. I freaked and then so I wouldn't go on and on about it all night, I also did a line and I said. There now I am stupid too, does it make you feel good to know we are both stupid together. We didn't speak for the rest of the night and then I had to work the next day, It was fucking terrible. the next time I did meth I was with another friend of mine and I had just had a falling out with my girl and I went drunk driving and my friend offered me meth so I could sober up and drive home, and I smoked a bowl, got home told her about it and I hated myself all night again.

I havent done it again since then, but I left her alone again with someone I was not aware of did meth and I woke up to her screaming at me and freaking out and I had no idea what was going on, it was only the next day I found out she had smoked a bowl. Now she has gone to visit her parents and she called me up and she was fucking high on the second day, after promising me she wouldn't even speak to those people. I am a dick, but you have no fucking clue how overwhelming this is for me. I am so stressed out I can't sleep, I sincerely hope she can do better, because I am not the one she should choose to settle down with. I have evn said this to her, but she says she wants to spend the rest of her life with me. she is 36 btw, not some young chick that doesn't no up from down.

This is my point this is what heroin and meth does to you, maybe it isn't brain damaged, but for her to think that its ok for me to say what I say to her and still want to stay with me just shows what drugs have done to her. She knew nothing but drugs by the time I met her, she could tell you how to make a meth pipe out of a lightbulb and what kind of foil was the best foil for doing heroin, but anything beyond that was like new territory to her. Maybe it is categorized as psychological damage and not brain damage. I don't know, what I do know is that I took on something bigger than me and now I can't just leave it. I am inperfect, but I know I don't want children for this reason, I hate the thought of ruining my kid because I am having a bad day one day and the kid asks me why his teacher is touching him and I am so absorbed in my own shit that I tell him to fuck off.

I have been unable to talk to anybody about this shit, maybe that is why I am venting, I have posted on so many threads already since I started, it feels so good to get all this shit off my chest, plus I am giving my own personal expieriences in the hope that maybe it can help someone else not to go down the wrong path. I am dick, but I am a somehwat caring dick, and overwhelmed angry at the world act like im still in my teens 22 year old dick head...... Whatever it's your opinion... Sorry for the rant.

There is one bit of absolute truth in there. When you stop a serious drug habit, you start an entirely new life. You have to figure everything out from square 1 all over again. Who you are, what you like, how to behave and interact...

All your former points of reference from before using are useless, memories of a different human being's life.

I was definitely being harsh and especially noting your age your quite wise and obviously trying. I know you reacted in reducing self worth and justifying by expressing other actions as faults possibly because you have been taught they are faults, which in cases like aggression it's appropriate, but in other times it's not. I just wanted you to appreciate what you see as faults as unique beautiful qualities instead. Changing your perspective can completely change your life while changing nothing else in life.

When you stop a serious drug habit, you start an entirely new life. You have to figure everything out from square 1 all over again. Who you are, what you like, how to behave and interact...

All your former points of reference from before using are useless, memories of a different human being's life.

Exactly

I was definitely being harsh and especially noting your age your quite wise and obviously trying. I know you reacted in reducing self worth and justifying by expressing other actions as faults possibly because you have been taught they are faults, which in cases like aggression it's appropriate, but in other times it's not. I just wanted you to appreciate what you see as faults as unique beautiful qualities instead. Changing your perspective can completely change your life while changing nothing else in life.

Not harsh at all I see where you are coming from. I know I am very negative about my relationship with someone who really loves me no matter what and I can see exactly why you think I m dick... because I am a piece of shit. And I know it. Which makes it so much worse.... cause at least if you are a piece of shi t who thinks they are good you are just confused. But if you know better but don't change you really are a sack of shit..... this poor girl. She just needs unconditional love and I can't give it to her. She give it to me she loves me no matter what and no matter what I just can't return the sentiment I am too judgemental. If there is a God he is cruel for putting us together.

Wow- Sooo maybe, just maybe, you are in the wrong place with the wrong person. Have you thought about breaking up with her? Just a quick thought- most of us that use like you say she was doing (and the way you were!!), are doing it because we are running away from part of ourselves. It is not a healthy thing we do, but we do it. For women, we often allow men to treat us like crap when we feel we 'deserve' it (once again, not healthy, but...). We will stay with men that abuse us much longer than men that are kind when we have a low opinion of ourselves, we feel we have done something wrong, we think we are fat, etc. If it causes negative feelings, we can turn it into something major that deserves us being shite on all the time. This is a fact (even if it is sad). So it's perfectly possible that the worse you treat her, the MORE likely she will stay. (This DOES NOT work for all women, just the unhealthy emotionally ones, so don't think that women need to be treated like crap to stay, be happy, etc. we don't!) It also sounds like you have some issues of your own, why else would you be with someone you 'needed' to control 'for their own good', that you don't like, that makes you feel so bad at the bottom of it?

Get off the pity pot- it's not healthy. Work on yourself, so you can respect you. Remember, for every finger pointing out, there are 3 pointing right back at you! Best of luck!

It also sounds like you have some issues of your own.

Work on yourself, so you can respect you. Remember, for every finger pointing out, there are 3 pointing right back at you!

This... quoted for "truth".

It totally sounds like you've got your own issues. More than just that, it seems as though such issues are at a boiling point inside of you, so much so as it's reached such a point where you either need to vent or else explode/self-implode. Having written such lengthy replies to a thread on a somewhat different subject entirely, you quite clearly need someone to talk to to sort these things out... someone who can be for you like you apparently are/were for your gf.

I think we all have enough experience/have seen enough episodes of Intervention to say that a relationship between two active/recently recovering addicts is a path toward nothing save for mutual destruction. You rather clearly are not happy as you are right now -cripes, you even said as much!- so I think you already know what you need to do, but are just too afraid to do it right now.

Trust me here, as someone who's a decade older than yourself...? Life is too goddamned short to live it and not be happy. However you might come by that happiness, in my opinion, doesn't matter (so long as it doesn't involve actively harming another human being, of course) but live it as happily as you can.

You aren't happy right now, and it sure sounds like you already know that you will never -and *can* never- be happy living in the situation you're currently living in.

So do the right thing, and live a happy life whilst you still have your youth... and, at the same time, do the right thing by your gf, and let *her* have a happy life, which it sounds like you can't/won't ever be able to offer her in your unpleasant relationship. It sounds like you stood by her and helped her kick her H habit - that's something to be proud of, and to look back at positively. Now, it's time to free both of yourselves of another bad habit: Your rather negative relationship.

It once more sounds as though, to me, you wouldn't only be doing yourself a favor, but your gf, as well - sounding like the relationship you can offer her is only one registering as far more negative than positive. But GD it all, bottom dollar, live a happy life. When we're dead and gone, that's the *only* thing to have truly mattered in the end! So be happy, and best of luck to you and your gf as you both try to navigate through this tricky little devil we call life.