• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Any tattoo artists here?

Ds

Bluelight Crew
Hey family, so i have recently invested into purchasing a tattooing kit, it includes pretty much everything.
Just curious on what to do next, any suggestions or helpful advice for an aspiring tattoo artist?

I'm unable to purchase a stencil printer? So that being said, how would i be able to stencil a drawing onto someones skin?

How exactly does shading work? After I do my lines, whats the next step to give the tattoo depth and weight?

There are a few tattoo artists kicking around on bl, hopefully one or two might venture in here and give you some pointers.

Looking forward to seeing your progression. Don't forget to show us some pics
I'm looking forward to it.

[lurking]*

*not a professional tattoo artist, more of an enthusiastic amateur. but will def. be milling around this thread :)

Hey keeping, do you have any stencils, drawings you've got in mind? I'd love to see your artwork!

Im not a pro but I've been doing it for fun for many years. First, be ready to spend a ridiculously long amount of time reading, watching videos and if you get the chance, talking with and watching a professional. There's a ridiculous amount of things to learn and every technique requires weeks, months and even years of practice just to get decent at them. Also keep in mind that not everyone is good at everything. Its possible and normal that you'll never perfect certain techniques and some you could even be terrible at. Also be aware of what you can or can't do before tattooing anyone! Tatts are permanent and not always easy to fix.

All that beng said, its a hell of a lot of fun and very satisfying when you finally get to see your art on a satisfied client.

My best advice to get started is to start by learning everything there is to know about the equipment you have. Lear how to change parts,repair it, modify it, protect it, clean it, sterilize it, etc. Followed by how to set it and use it. Then, I recommend actually using it a bit to know how it handle and have a better understanding of further instructions on technique. You can buy fake skin for practice from any tattoo supply shops or if you want the real feel, nothing beats pig skin. Most butchers should have it/be able to get it. When that's done, start with the basics like sanitation, proper handling of equipment, how to set up, etc., followed by basic techniques like outlines and solid colours. i recommend practicing them for a while before moving on to make sure you don't accidentally mix up info or forget things. Once you're comfortable with the basics, you can move on to more advanced stuff.
Keep in mind that this was a very quick overview and there's tons of other stuff to know but this should get you in the right direction. You can also pm me if you want advice on products or sources for info as well or any other tattoo stuff really.

Have fun!

Hey keeping, do you have any stencils, drawings you've got in mind? I'd love to see your artwork!

tumblr_ola1a9snX11qh8kico1_500.jpg

i have bits and bobs on my tumblr, i mainly draw simpsons images, traditional things like banners and skulls and such
just whatevers rattling around my head at the time; just randomly scattered over my tumblr, i apologize for the lack of quantification
enjoi :D

tumblr_ola1a9snX11qh8kico1_500.jpg

i have bits and bobs on my tumblr, i mainly draw simpsons images, traditional things like banners and skulls and such
just whatevers rattling around my head at the time; just randomly scattered over my tumblr, i apologize for the lack of quantification
enjoi :D

Over half of my work has been Simpsons related pieces so far. Can't find the box where I put the hd I have my work in but here's the first one I ever did on skin, on myself.
20170705_093707.jpg

Over half of my work has been Simpsons related pieces so far. Can't find the box where I put the hd I have my work in but here's the first one I ever did on skin, on myself.
20170705_093707.jpg

that's fucken dope bro, could you link me your work?
infact, you should stick your portfolio in your Bluelight blog!

i want you to tattoo bart's face on me, shame i live in the UK
you ever come over here?

that's fucken dope bro, could you link me your work?
infact, you should stick your portfolio in your Bluelight blog!

i want you to tattoo bart's face on me, shame i live in the UK
you ever come over here?

I only have my work on a hard drive I haven't been able to find since the last time I moved but it should come up fairly soon as I don't have many boxes left. I'll try to contact some people I've do e work on and have them send me pics.
I've been over there a few times and been wanting to go back for a while but kinda been putting it off because of everything going on lately.

I only have my work on a hard drive I haven't been able to find since the last time I moved but it should come up fairly soon as I don't have many boxes left. I'll try to contact some people I've do e work on and have them send me pics.
I've been over there a few times and been wanting to go back for a while but kinda been putting it off because of everything going on lately.

ah okay fair enough dude, let me know when you find the HDD i'd love to see your work
hey you should do a simpsons tattoo flash :D i'd deff buy a few if you ever came back over to england

How's the nipple piercing holding up Ds? I still have that picture on my phone.

I met an amateur scratcher in rehab who wasn't half bad but there is no way I would let him work on me personally. I suggest going to a shop and trying to get on as an apprentice. See if it's really something your interested in or not before devoting a shit load of time and money to it.

How's the nipple piercing holding up Ds? I still have that picture on my phone.

I met an amateur scratcher in rehab who wasn't half bad but there is no way I would let him work on me personally. I suggest going to a shop and trying to get on as an apprentice. See if it's really something your interested in or not before devoting a shit load of time and money to it.

lol!! I had to take it out when i got locked up april lastyear. Sucks man, 2nd time ive had to remove nipple piercings because of going to jail.soo ya know what?no more nipple piercings!lol

So yea going to take up tattooing,going to wait until i leave the treatment center before i start tattooing because they really frown on people getting tattoos while in the 'program'.
Got some ideas in mind, got a few people lined up to do the AA symbol(triangle inside a circle),so thats a start.

Ive ordered 100x needles/shaders/lines,and disposable tubes. That being said, is there anything else i need to get to tattoo? Whats that stuff they use that comes from a squirt bottle?
Whats a good oitment to use for aftercare?

Does color ink work the same as black ink?

Should i invest in having a seperate machine used for shading?
I have 1 machine.

Should i invest in having a separate machine used for shading?
I have 1 machine.

Disclaimer- not an artist myself, all my experience is from living with a tattoo artist for 11? years. Get two machines! If you get serious trading out needles and tubes while working on a tattoo is a pain in the ass. Two guns come in mighty handy!

Most people use green soap, you can purchase at any surgical supply website, and some tattoo sites. There are other soaps that some artist use, but green soap is the most common.

Not all inks are created equal, ask an artist whos work you have seen and the color really pops on, they can tell you what they used. I know for a fact not all colors, even of the same brands, are equal. The same is true of all skin. What a person has ingested before getting a tattoo will effect the way the tattoo goes in, stays in, etc., so a lot will just come from experience or apprenticeship with a good artist. An apprenticeship is your best way to go.