European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

unusual problem with homeless man

Tryptamite

Bluelighter
I'm living back at my folks for the time being. Having had troubles with drugs in the past and experiencing homelessness I have a certain empathy for those in similar positions.

Some guy from a nearby village has moved into a tent across the road from me. Technically the land belongs to the council but my da owns the surrounding land (small amount).

Ive spoken to the guy he seems harmless. I think he fried his brain with drugs. He says he needs weed to function but he clearly cannot function and is very paranoid and nervous and is having trouble putting sentences together.

My question is more what to do. He is right on a main road. When I'm out having a coffee and a smoke i can hear young lads in there messing with his stuff or messing with him. He just sits there and takes it. Today I went over twice, talked to two young lads and the second time grabbed one of 4 teenagers by the neck and frightened them off. Im a big cunt in good shape at the minute.

I cant keep doing this, I'm going to get in trouble or bring trouble on my parents door. I dont want to get involved with this man, but at the same time I cant stand bullies and hearing people give him hassle, especially as he is not all there mentally.

Do I ask him to move, recommend a better spot? Give him my phone number and tell him to call me if he is really in trouble?

Any ideas welcome!!

perhaps you could make the council aware of this nice yet vulnerable homeless man. inform them that although he's very nice and respectful to you and others there are elements of the community that are less than civil with him and you're worried for his welfare. again i'd stress that you're not bothered by him or his presence but you feel concerned about him and tell them you could possibly put him in contact with them from your telephone?
:)

It's professional help the poor chap needs, Focus Ireland, Simon community , SVP etc. By the sounds of things the system has failed him. Is he on any medication, he defo needs help with his MH.

I agree,bogman!He needs real help!!
In USA such poor guys are just left out in cold most
times.Tryptamite,much respect for helping
the guy!

I'm living back at my folks for the time being. Having had troubles with drugs in the past and experiencing homelessness I have a certain empathy for those in similar positions.

Some guy from a nearby village has moved into a tent across the road from me. Technically the land belongs to the council but my da owns the surrounding land (small amount).

Ive spoken to the guy he seems harmless. I think he fried his brain with drugs. He says he needs weed to function but he clearly cannot function and is very paranoid and nervous and is having trouble putting sentences together.

My question is more what to do. He is right on a main road. When I'm out having a coffee and a smoke i can hear young lads in there messing with his stuff or messing with him. He just sits there and takes it. Today I went over twice, talked to two young lads and the second time grabbed one of 4 teenagers by the neck and frightened them off. Im a big cunt in good shape at the minute.

I cant keep doing this, I'm going to get in trouble or bring trouble on my parents door. I dont want to get involved with this man, but at the same time I cant stand bullies and hearing people give him hassle, especially as he is not all there mentally.

Do I ask him to move, recommend a better spot? Give him my phone number and tell him to call me if he is really in trouble?

Any ideas welcome!!

You are a very good person with your heart in the right place, Karma will reward you for your kindness. This world could do with many more like you.

Go well kindred soul. I hope you all the best on your journey in this life. You will ascend sooner than others.

, recommend a better spot? Give him my phone number and tell him to call me if he is really in trouble?

Any ideas welcome!!

These two things. I am friends with many of the homeless crew in Byron. I have written references and supported them in court, bought the food, dosed those who were mentally fine for it, helped them negotiate with the police...but above all i didn't judge, gave respect, sat and had my lunch with them. Treated them as i would anyone. Gave them love and a lot of hugs. Help him find a better spot or housing and offer your love and support. it goes a long long way.

Thanks for the replies guys. Me and my girl brought him for a a few pints yesterday. He was not so bad. Very glad of the company. It was nice to see him happy. I could tell he was kinda upset when we went home. Said we would hang out again.it was good to see him talk to a few other people in the pub that he knew from around and they didn't judge him or give him abuse. Some lady offered to buy him a pint and he asked for three pints, thinking about the two of us as well ��

I think SVP is the best option bogman. Focus and Simon community is more a Dublin thing. I will try get in contact with them on Monday and see if there is anything they can do for him.

Very good advice consumer. Being treated like a normal human being goes a long way when you're in a bad situation.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Nice to see someone caring out there looking out for people doing it tough. We never know how they got where they are now. Get to know them, show empathy and earn their trust and their stories will often amaze and shock you. Just do what you can but also help him empower himself. Make suggestions and involve him in conversations about them. Homeless people often have many fears and trust issues. Dont promise anything you cant deliver as this is something they constantly deal with from people who mean well, often social workers etc who find they cant deliver on what they said. Above all as you said treat him as any other human. Hugs go a long way. Imagine how long since another human has hugged this guy, passed on some loving energy and made him feel like someone actually see's him as a human and actually cares.

Tryp, that's such a lovely thing to do. What a top soul. Keep us updated. You and your girl are wee stars <3