• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Is anyone else here receiving (legitamate medically approved) ketamine therapy?

Transcendence

Bluelighter
I know many here have in the past and currently do use ketamine in a non-recreational way to alleviate severe treatment resistant depression. Jamshyd (Rest in Peace my friend) was among the first people I know of to document his usage extensively and raise awareness on the promise that ketamine has as the most effective antidepressant available for many people. I used ketamine once recreationally and enjoyed it, but was more interested in using it as a medication. However, research has indicated that even though it can be used as a nasal spray or IM for psychiatric use, slow IV infusion is far more efficacious. Even with access to pure ketamine, I'm not comfortable using needles on myself and obviously do not have access to a medical infusion pump.

I have suffered from depression and anxiety for most of my life, but it reached a peak a couple years ago after my son died and I had tried nearly every SSRI, SNRI, TCA, remeron, buproprion, light therapy, nootropics, psychology, dozens of doctors and dozens of medications in 3 different states and nothing worked. I always gave the drugs a chance and after the 12th SSRI alone it was clear that waiting another 8 weeks to feel nothing but worse wasn't going to work. I thought it was hopeless. Already prescribed daily benzos and Lyrica just for anxiety, I found myself more depressed, out of shape, hopeless than ever. I considered giving up and falling into daily opiate use because I didn't care if I lived or died.

When I moved to Arizona 2 years ago, I knew that the only thing that could work immediately and have a lasting effect was ketamine. Sure, morphine or amphetamine are also effective anti-depressents but it's an artificial happiness that only lasts as long as the drug itself and isn't sustainable. I am also prescribed dexedrine IR & ER and dexmethylphenidate IR for reasons I won't go into here, but suffice to say they control my anxiety better than 40mg of diazepam per day combined with Lyrica does. I found a high profile psychiatrist who realized that I was misdiagnosed and had paradoxical reactions towards many drugs. I had no interest in taking stimulants daily but thankfully my anxiety is under control for the first time in over a decade. My depression however seemed inescapable.

So 18 months ago I traveled to Phoenix, AZ and received a series of 4 infusions of IV ketamine over the course of a week in one hour sessions, administered by an anesthesiologist (actually one of the first 2 or 3 in the world to open a clinic for ketamine therapy to treat depression, bipolar, OCD, and chronic pain). My GP and psychiatrist were intrigued and encouraged it. It was expensive, but as I predicted, startling effective. I felt like I did when I was 12. I stopped waking up to constant negative and self-effacing thoughts. For three weeks following the treatments, I was able to believe that today might not be a bad day, and even love myself. It was like stepping through the looking glass and living in a reflection of the world. Nothing changed except for the perspective reversed.

[However, due to the financial burden (not covered by insurance and very expensive), I couldn't continue the maintenance. I couldn't drive two hours every week and miss work while paying more than I earned as a teacher. So after a month post-stabilization, I sank back into depression that was at least as severe.]

~-_-~

This month the clinic branched out to Tucson, only 15 minutes from my home. As an established patient I paid a lower rate and could schedule treatments at any time. I received another round of stabilization, titrating to a higher dose each time. I ended up receiving the maximum dose administered (1.5mg per kg) because benzos block the effects and I am physically dependent on them, as well as having a high natural tolerance to most drugs anyway. I opted for four stabilization treatments (could have opted for 6). And I'm following through on the Maintanence schedule. Maintenance is one session 7 days post stabilization (treatment 5), one 14 days later (treatment 6), and then one session monthly for one year. After a year of treatment most patients have successful results with only two to four treatments per year.

Once again it has been successful so far, restoring my will to live and optimism for my future with no negative side-effects besides sleep pattern disturbance. I have weaned off Lyrica nearly completely, so I'm hoping that will also help reduce depression. The difference between now and 18 months ago medically is that I am now prescribed daily stimulants. It is not clear to me, my psychiatrist, or my anesthesiologist whether the stimulants will have a positive, neutral, or negative impact on the treatments. It seems to me like they prevent some dissociative effects during the actual treatment (not surprisingly), but what is unclear to all of us is whether it will interfere negatively or positively with brain plasticity / receptor regeneration that is the long-term goal of the treatment.

I know it is rare, but I'm wondering if there is a chance anyone else here is currently or has in the past been administered ketamine for depression by an actual doctor?
How was it administered, and how did you respond? As far as I know, there are centers in Arizona, Massachusetts, Florida, New York, and I think only one other state (CA?). Protocols differ. Other than that I only know of clinical trials. It seems clear to myself as a biochemist and every doctor involved that the serotonin/dopamine/norepinephrine theory of depression is misguided, and that NMDA receptor action is probably the key toward a medication that is clearly more effective than placebo. We have hope of a similarly targeted medication for depression to gain FDA approval by 2020 that can be taken orally at home and covered by health insurance. Until then, it would be amazing to find an online support group for this.

I am happy to answer any questions or provide resources for anyone interested in the therapy or specifics. I'm hoping to connect with other patients, since we are so few.

Peace, Love, & Under Recovery <3

Last edited:
Speed King underwent Ketamine infusions successfully.

I suffer horrific depression, dealing with stage 4 disease/pain for decades.

I wish for you continued success. :)

Ketamine isn't quite mainstream yet, but it will be for not too long, and many doctors consider it a legitimate form of therapy. The problem as it is seems to be that its still considered a very alternative type therapy and so insurance probably doesn't cover it so the cost is very high--way more than that on the street, but they do things by the book so nothing goes wrong.

I had a ketamine crazy pain doc. She gave me caps and cream compounded by the hospital pharmacy. I was taking lots of benzos at the time, which she didn't remember. The infusion was thru the 7th circle of Dante's as the benzos interact. For pain it didn't work for me. I don't know how it is for depression

I had my first maintenance infusion today at close to the highest dose available. They took into account that I am on daily benzodiazepines and benzos directly counteract ketamine. The anesthesiologist who started the program is very particular who he hires and often will sit with patients during the infusion himself as he's a great conversationalist and the kind of person that makes you feel less depressed just talking to...

As one of the first practitioners in the world, most of the US clinics based their protocol from him, and they are still fine-tuning (they are now able to push dosage boundaries for tolerant patients further than a year ago). Although the cost is cut in-half for continuing patients like me, it is a financial burden and not covered by any insurance at first. I'm glad my psych, GP, and parents were all pushing me to try it despite the price instead of throwing another SSRI combo at me that they knew would probably not work. Although I make a teacher's salary and have other healthcare costs, the difference this makes pays for itself. I finally have the motivation and confidence to look for better work opportunities and be more productive.

Although it would be much cheaper to obtain ketamine or a close analogue and administer it myself, I find it really is true that the slow infusion method is more effective than other forms of administration. Even though I have relatively good self-control, it would also be too much of a temptation to slip into recreational usage past that needed for depression. The only other place I posted this was reddit, knowing more would read it. It did not receive any replies. Apparently patients fly in from Paris and elsewhere to this clinic despite the therapy now being available in at least Germany...

I'd jump at the chance to do this if it were more accessible. Actually I was planning to do this this summer, but plans changed and I need to save the money.

Thanks for sharing your experience OP.

Sorry I just read the topic, that's it.

I had a katamine reset for heavy, extended opiate use.

It worked, until my doc put me back on all the meds that wasn't helping anymore.

But I was on a katamine drip for 7 days no opiates at all. And it didn't matter. I didn't need them and when I was done I felt, different, like more aware. Idk. But my pain was under control with minimal effort. And I wasn't taking even a quarter of my normal meds and I was happy and eager to live life.

That sounds like a good idea. Imma go find some ketamine and get off this h. Thanks!!!

I have had two full infusions and one, 20 mg I.V shot.

Personally, it worked best when I took 20mg Valium before the infusions.

I'm not sure why the benzodiazepines didn't help the effect of the treatment.

I have found that the more relaxed you are before the treatment, the therapeutic effects last longer.

A full treatment consisted of 500 mg I.V Ketamine over 8 hours.

As far as what happens afterwords, first , your mileage may vary. Going into treatment mentally prepared IMO effects the outcome.

Both antidepressant and pain relieving effects are possible through therapy. I however received larger lasting pain relief for pain versus the anti depressant effects.

Initially, I noticed anti depressant effects also, but it faded to regular levels within a week.

I suggest focusing on one or the other prior to each treatment. Pain one treatment and depression during another treatment. That was my experience.

I just happen to be going to an office visit with doctor on Monday.

Last edited:
Transcendence, I am wondering since this is a somewhat new (not really, but newly on the verge of acceptance) treatment if that might mean that there are trials you could take part in so that you could hopefully have the costs covered. Of course you would have to make sure it was not a blind study (to ensure you did not get a placebo). At any rate I am very glad to hear about the expansion to a location nearer to you. I hope things continue to move quickly.<3

I just visited the doctors office where they handle scheduling and what not.

Starting mid August, I will be getting full I.V infusions every two months. From my experience, that will definitely help me stay pain free longer.