• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Social Anxiety THC

OwnedInTheDome

Greenlighter
So ya I'm not much on social anxiety in normal life. I'm actually a very social person, I have a lot of friends and I deal with many awkward situations in a very positive manner. I usually only get it after smoking bud so I am trying to figure out a way around it. I've always found it weird that all of my friends can function completely normal after smoking and that I can not, and I think I have finally figured out why. I get social anxiety after smoking. When I smoke I usually like to be alone, at the end of the night, when no one can bother me, I can just unwind, relax, and not worry about anything. But when I smoke with other people, I get paranoid. I think what I say sounds stupid, I sound too stoned, I looked too stoned, I avoid any and all conflict, I don't even like to answer texts because what I might say may sound too stoned lol. I can deal with another person around me being stoned as fuck, but when it comes to sober people I feel I can't function and I get paranoid.

Has anyone come into this perspective and if so how do I deal with it? Or maybe I am just doomed an anxiety smoker. I mean shit it's fine if I am, even when I just want to smoke and unwind by myself I go through about a gram a month, but it's no fun when I want to partake with friends. Anyone else have this problem?

This is pretty normal in my opinion, weed is not a particularly social drug for everyone. I got this a lot when I was younger but just kept on smoking regardless, in retrospect I don't think this did me any good psychologically, in fact my life improved a lot when I decided to cut out weed for a while.

Now that I am older and generally a lot more confident in myself I get these anxious feelings from weed less, or perhaps I just find them less overwhelming. But still the only occasions I ever really smoke now is alone or with a few close friends when I know I won't have to go anywhere or do anything that day. I would never choose to smoke it in an unfamiliar social environment unless I was already very drunk or otherwise intoxicated.

The best thing you can do at the moment if weed is making you feel like this is just quit smoking it entirely - even alone - for a good few months at least, and during that period try to become more confident in yourself by making positive life choices. Then after your break you can try cautiously to introduce weed again and see if these feelings come back. If not, great, try to keep your use infrequent and enjoy.

If they do come back, then there are probably some other things you can try but in my opinion none of them are guaranteed solutions and anyway are probably not worth the effort. Although weed is (both literally and figuratively) medicine for some people, for recreational users I actually don't think it is that positive a drug, and high achieving stoners are a rarity... so not being able to use it socially is really no bad thing.

But, as with any mind altering substances, there can be so many different factors that can affect your state of mind.