View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DMT risks

MLB543

Greenlighter
Okay so I took MDMA four times between march 17-April 21 and the last time recovery period was five days. It's Been exactly two months today since my last roll and my friend asked if I wanted to try DMT. I really want to but I am trying to get into PA school and might get drug tested in august.

Since my brain technically isn't fully recovered from the MDMA (typically all serotonin is replaces in three months) what's risks am I running if I do it? I also may have to drive later on and go home. So how long is the experience going to last if I take say 30 mg. And the recovery time until I am okay to drive. And will I be able to act sober if I go home?

ive done lots of reading but I'm getting mixed answers. I just want to be 100% sure I'm able to do this without worry.

Just so we're on the same page here: You are aware that there's a huge difference between smoked DMT and oral DMT?
Because DMT is rapidly metabolized in the human body, the only way to take it orally is by ingesting a brew called Ayahuasca, consisting of a source of DMT (ex: P. viridis, or the root bark of M. hostilis) and something called an "MAO inhibitor" that blocks your body's DMT-degrading enzymes (typically alkaloids from P. harmala or B. caapi); this causes Ayahuasca trips to last several hours. Plus chances are that mentally processing a DMT experience is going to leave you heavily distracted even after the drug's effects have worn off. I would not advise you to do this if you have to drive later, for the fact alone that worrying whether you will be fit to drive afterwards might seriously impact your mindset.

Or you can just smoke pure DMT, getting it into your brain much faster than your enzymes can destroy it. The experience will be extremely intense, but the effects will be gone within less than hour.

I would be smoking it. Like I would give myself hours before driving after it, but like with molly I know I can't drive the rest of the night.

Everyone is different, and i definitely wouldn't advise driving after taking any sort of drug - but i find that once the trip is over, i'm pretty much back to baseline after an hour or so.
It's the one drug i can have an amazing trip on, then return to the book i was reading before the trip, and be able to read it with no trouble focusing or any sort of peripheral visual disturbances (unlike LSD or something like that which leaves me feeling fried by thw time i've come down).

DMT is pretty incredible like that.
William Burroughs referred to it as "the businessman's buzz", because one could (theoretically) have a mind bending trip on his lunchbreak, and return to work in the afternoon without any problem.

It really distorts time, so your perception of what may feel like long periods of time has actually just been minutes, so don't take my time estimates as fact - but it is one drug that you certainly sober up from quickly once it wears off.

Be warned though, it is fucking intense and often a very strange experience, but moderate doses can be really quite beautiful.

This page at erowid.org has some good info, and there is heaps more at the site's main dmt vault where there is a ton of useful information.

This is from the first link:

Smoked/Vaporized DMT Dosages

Threshold 2 - 5 mg
Light 10 - 20 mg
Common 20 - 40 mg
Strong 40 - 60 mg

Onset : 15 - 60 seconds
Duration : 5 - 20 minutes
Normal After Effects : 15 - 60 minutes

It's magic stuff, but you want to be in a safe, comfortable environment when you take it.
Also, perfecting the smoking method can take some practice. But all in all it's a pretty safe drug (as in non-toxic).
It is extremely intense though. High doses are difficult to describe, they're amazing.
I havent had DMT in years, but i love it :)

I'll back up everything spacejunk said. Driving under the influence of any mind-altering substance is incredibly irresponsible, so it's great that you're taking that into consideration! However, DMT is metabolized very quickly by the body (when vaporized); you should be quite functional after about an hour. It also won't show up on a standard five-panel (or even most advanced) drug tests, if that's a concern for you. It is technically possible to test for it in a hair-follicle test but testing for such a rarely-abused, "exotic" compound is both exceptionally rare (without good cause) and very expensive. In my reading many drug courts don't even spare the expense to test for it.

Though there is some evidence that MDMA acts as a 5-HT2A agonist the methods of action of MDMA and DMT are largely different. (Specifically, DMT doesn't prevent reuptake or facilitate release of monoamine neurotransmitters, i.e. serotonin, dopamine, etc.) I hate using a blanket statement like "You'll be fine," since everyone's body is a little different, but...you'll be fine.