• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How would I go about becoming a Drug Researcher/related?

broccolini

Greenlighter
Hey!
So I'm coming the the end of my high school, and beginning to make decisions about what I want to study, and am wondering what courses I should look into if I wanted to get into Drug Research (psychological, physiological, neurological effects and everything else!) , as I believe expanding understanding and discovering uses for otherwise illegal compounds is a interesting and worthwhile field to study. The drug research movement isn't in full swing in Australia yet, but I want to be part of the forward progress of the studies. For people who started out like me, what did you study in order to become what you are? What advice can you give! (and of course, if I end up having access to a lab, I'll test for bluelight! )

Go into psychology.. usually for research, you'll have to get a doctorate though, either a Ph.D or Psy.D, although Ph.D is a more research-based degree.

Look into Pharmacology, or Neuroscience. I have my bachelor's in psych, and there's not too many job opportunities with drugs research, even if you go into clinic, most of the jobs are behavior modification related.

^ With a bachelors, you can probably get a job inputting data (entry), and maybe be taught how to score/analyze data.

I'd probably go a neuroscience track, possibly also with a chemistry or psychology double major or minor. Try and study abroad in Switzerland, Vienna or somewhere around there/the Netherlands in Europe. I think http://www.ijdp.org/ is based out of somewhere around there.

Alternatively you could also go the statistics route and become like Tronica (she is involved in lots of fun drug research, and she's in Oz so she might be able to give you practical country specific advice). I suggest seeing what she thinks (I imagine she's busy, but it's still worth reaching out).

Is there any specific area of drugs research your interested in? I'd suggest also brushing up on what the current state of things are with the use of stuff like MDMA/PTSD, mushrooms and end of life situation, LSD, and ketamine. I feel like ketamine is going to see the most action out of these kinds of things. It would also be interesting to explore DMT and Iboga vis a vis addiction.

It will be a lot of work to get to a point you are involved in the management of clinical work, but if you are passionate about science or math and willing to study hard at uni there are going to be a lot of exciting work done over htime e next decade or two.