• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

submitting to detox and possible 1 week methadone taper

teckktrader1980

Greenlighter
Hey guys!

This is my first post but I have been a long time lurker. My back story is no different than many others here so I won't go into it. I have been using some form of opioid for the last 2 years and with many failed attempts to quit on my own I have decided to check into a week long rehab facility. I'm nervous about going because I will have no contact with the outside world for 7 days.

This maybe a good thing as it will ensure I do not score anything for at least a week. Now my big question is they said they will offer me methadone to help with the withdrawal symptoms. I have never done methadone before and I currently do anywhere between 100 to 200mg of oxycodone/oxycontin or equivalent in hydromorphone.

Would doing methadone for a couple days help or hinder me. They also offer Valium and codeine as needed. You will be monitored 24 hours a day so it is a safe environment. Any advice from someone that has gone this route would be very appreciated.

Mods...if this is posted in the wrong area please move to the proper form.

Be safe everyone

Are the intake of 100-200 mg oxycodone daily? Have you ever taken anything IV?
How long time have you been taking 100-200 mg of oxycodone?

I don't know you, but to be honest one week of rehab will not be enough for most people. In my experience they say that the minimal amount of rehab required is one month pr year you have been an addict.

Taking into consideration that you only have seven days in rehab, I would not go on methadone but go cold turkey and maybe get some valium to take the worst withdrawals.

But the big question - what will you do when the seven days are over? Can you honestly say that you wish to stop taking oxycodone? Do they only offer medication in the seven days you are there?
Do you have a support network behind you to help after the seven days?

No matter what, I wish you good luck and I hope you will have a good experience during the seven day and that it will help you in the long run.

I do take oxycodone or hydromorphone daily but have only taken it orally or insuffulated, never have I crosses the line of using the needle. I have been doing this daily for roughly 20 months. This is something that I want but for some reason I just can't make it past the 3 or 4 day mark of withdrawal and that with using clonidine and lorazepam.

The detox center that I am going to does offer after care through meetings which I intend to fully take advantage of. I'm also relying on family for support as they all know about my problem so it's not a secret. I would only use the methadone for a couple days, tops. I don't plan on using it for months for maintenance. I'm just looking for someone who has taken methadone this way (for a couple days) to tell me if it was beneficial for them to get over the worst of the withdrawal.

There's a big difference in rehab and detox, this sounds like purely a medical detox and not rehab with counseling etc.
As soon as you finish your detox you should find addiction counseling in some form whether it be a therapist, NA, or group sessions.
I went to rehab for alcohol but was there with opiate addicts who were treated with methadone or subs. Most were taken off the medication within a week or two even though the typical stay was 21-28 days.
A week should be enough to get you safely through withdrawals but isn't long enough to change your whole mind set about drug use.
You'll have a long road ahead of you mentally.

You're right about needing more time to change your mindset about living a sober life. I think once I get through the 7 days of the physical part and I start remembering what it's like to live sober I will be able to make it. Of course I will still need to attend meetings and drug counseling. It's funny how some people can do this without any help. My father quit pain pills cold turkey and never looked back. He didn't need detox or meetings yet myself is the opposite.

I thought I would drop by post an update as to my progress.

I did check in to the detox facility on Wednesday but made it only one day. I couldn't handle the smoking rules of all things. They did give me 10mg of methadone a few hours after arriving but I didn't feel that I needed it because, at this point, I had been 4 days clean of any opioids.

I made it that day and night until 4:00 in the morning when I jumped ship. I smoke about 20 cigarettes a day and they only allow 4 per day. I've been opioid free ever since so that makes it just shy of 7 days clean and every day is getting a little better. I start NA meetings this week and Jiu-jitsu classes next week to keep myself busy to help fight off cravings.

Good lord I don't think there would have been anyone left at my rehab if their cigarettes were limited.

I know, right! No one was there for quitting smoking so I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea. They offer you a nicotine patch if you want one so they know people are craving cigarettes yet they limit you to 4 a day.

methadone and valium are great detox tools man but be careful combining them as they're both very sedating

I used clonazepam, clonidine and zoplicone for the first 3 days and put myself into basically a chemical coma. I didn't use much of each of these drugs but just enough to make me pass out. It was the easiest detox I have done as of yet. Once the 4th day rolled around and I slowly came back to life I felt ok and was able to eat which made a huge difference. I was lucky to be able to sleep off the worst of the withdrawal. I still used the zoplicone for weeks after that and still use it today. I'll ween off of it soon.