Please critique my workout routine!

Artificial Emotion

Bluelighter
I hope me posting this is okay. I was hoping you guys could critique my workout routine below and give your thoughts. Thanks.

Monday -
incline bench press - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
flat bench press- 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Dips (assisted) - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Barbell pullover - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest

Tuesday -
Barbell squats - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Hex bar deadlifts - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Stiff legged hex bar deadlifts - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest

Wednesday -
Running for 20 mins on treadmill

Thursday -
Barbell military press - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Barbell upright row - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Dumbell lateral raises - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest

Friday -
Pull ups - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Barbell bent over row - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Barbell hex bar deadlifts - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest

Saturday -
Run for 20 mins on treadmill

Sunday -

I hope me posting this is okay. I was hoping you guys could critique my workout routine below and give your thoughts. Thanks.

Monday -
incline bench press - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
flat bench press- 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Dips (assisted) - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Barbell pullover - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest

Tuesday -
Barbell squats - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Hex bar deadlifts - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Stiff legged hex bar deadlifts - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest

Wednesday -
Running for 20 mins on treadmill

Thursday -
Barbell military press - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Barbell upright row - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Dumbell lateral raises - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest

Friday -
Pull ups - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Barbell bent over row - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest
Barbell hex bar deadlifts - 4 sets: 15, 8, 8, 6, 90 secs rest

Saturday -

Sunday -

Maybe switch inclined bench press to db's, throw in some flys..

Legs add leg extension to start, plus something for calves..

Rear delts, chins, and db bicep curls..

Treadmill, try HIIT fast bursts instead of low intensity running..

Thanks for the advice, I'll do what you suggest. One thing though - I've been told that I should hit each muscle group more frequently, like once every 4th-5th day instead of once per week. Do you agree with this or am I okay hitting each muscle group once per week like I am at the moment?

I'm not an expert or anything but for what it's worth I like your workout, my own one is very very similar, with basically the same split and set/rep ranges but less rest. I always much preferred simple compound exercises with free weights to a bunch of complicated stuff using all sorts of different machines...

What I do differently is I also add flyes, incline, flat or both depending on how much energy I have on that day. Also I do front squats as well as back squats, plus leg press and calf raises on leg days. This can be a lot of legs but I like to get to the point where when I am leaving the gym it is kind of hard to walk down the stairs. :) Calf raise for me never feels like a satisfactory exercise because of the small range of movement and the need to use a lot of weight but I figure it is necessary to have some calf training.

I would also add more shoulder stuff, dumbell and/or arnold press, front raises... Personally I don't like the upright row and have read and heard stuff from a few people more knowledgeable than me that it is an exercise which carries a high risk of injury and puts a lot of stress on your shoulder joint, so I would just drop this.

Genetic Freak said:
Legs add leg extension to start,
I'm surprised you recommend this because I have also heard/read bad things about this particular exercise, primarily because it supposedly puts a lot of isolating stress on the ACL ligament. I don't do them personally because I have had mild Achilles tendonitis which fortunately I was able to catch early, but it's made me very paranoid about tendon/ligament type injuries... Anyway, do you think there are some circumstances in which the leg extension can be useful still, and these risks can be minimised?

Thank you so much for your advice. You know I get what you're saying about the upright row as it feels like it puts a lot of stress on the shoulder with it being painful to do, so I'll drop this exercise. I wish I could do front squats but I have a condition called costochondritis, meaning I can't put any weight on my chest area without aggravating it.

I'm surprised you recommend this because I have also heard/read bad things about this particular exercise, primarily because it supposedly puts a lot of isolating stress on the ACL ligament. I don't do them personally because I have had mild Achilles tendonitis which fortunately I was able to catch early, but it's made me very paranoid about tendon/ligament type injuries... Anyway, do you think there are some circumstances in which the leg extension can be useful still, and these risks can be minimised?

Most exercises that seem harmful can actually be useful when performed carefully. I use leg extensions (and curls) to warm up before doing any other leg exercise. I use a light weight and a very limited ROM, and gradually build up the weight, focusing very intensely on the muscle contraction. It's great for warming up the cartilage surfaces, activating the quad muscles, and reducing knee pain in subsequent lifts. But only when done carefully and thoughtfully. Not just whacking on some weight and flinging up the stack, as I see so many guys doing.

I wish I could do front squats but I have a condition called costochondritis, meaning I can't put any weight on my chest area without aggravating it.

There are a few squat-type machines (depending on what your gym has) that could be adapted to achieve a similar feel. You can turn around and lean forward into the machine, and the pads rest on the shoulders. Try playing around with what your gym has - be creative.

As for your routine, I don't have any detailed advice - as long as you're enjoying it, that's really one of the most important things. There are a million routines out there you could borrow from or copy for a while, and I suggest you do that.

That's important because in general terms, you need to change things every few weeks or months (periodise) - be it weights used, exercises used, the order of the exercises, the sets/reps, the cadence, the time under stress and so on. This will keep your body challenged and allow you to break through plateaus. And it will keep your mind challenged, engaged, and motivated - boredom and repetitiveness is your enemy when training, making you sloppy and conversely too 'efficient' at the lifts (making them less stressful on the muscles).

I also agree with GF, some HIIT would be good - you could stick 5mins or so of it after every other training session for good effect: 10-20 seconds all out sprint, 1-2 min walk, repeat a couple times. But try to keep the medium-intensity running as well, that type of activity is good for the chondrocytes in the joints and will reduce the risk of arthritis.

Thanks CFC, I'll try the Smith machine and incorporate HIIT into my workout routine. I am wondering though, do you think I should hit each muscle group more frequently instead of just once per week? I don't want to overtrain but if I can hit each muscle group more often then I'm hoping it'll modestly improve my gains.

Last edited:
I am wondering though, do you think I should hit each muscle group more frequently instead of just once per week?

in general terms, you need to change things every few weeks or months (periodise) - be it weights used, exercises used, the order of the exercises, the sets/reps, the cadence, the time under stress and so on. This will keep your body challenged and allow you to break through plateaus.

I was trying to get across the concept of training periodisation, which implicitly assumes that it is change, and not simply increasing frequency or intensity or weight or food intake, that will boost gains over time.

So by all means try increasing your frequency for a few months and see what happens. You're only doing 12-16 sets per workout, so your body should easily have the capacity to handle more.

While your body adapts to the new stress, you'll probably make some gains. But it will stop at some point. And then you'll need to try something else, raise intensity, cut back frequency, increase reps, lower weight, add exercises, increase calories, and so on.