Hex bar deadlifts

Artificial Emotion

Bluelighter
Normally I squat and deadlift on the same day. I was thinking of substituting my barbell deadlifts for hex deadlifts but I'm worried using the hex bar is so biomechanically similar to the squat in terms of leg involvement that I'd be overtraining doing both exercises. Would this be the case or are they okay to do together? The reason I prefer doing deadlifts with the hex bar is because it puts less stress on the lower back than barbell deadlifts (even if you do the deadlift movement with perfect form).

Just give it a try and see for yourself. You'll know if numbers start dropping and you feel cns burnout coming on.

You should really be able to control (to some degree) the muscles which are most strongly activated when performing either lift. You can certainly reduce leg involvement with enough focus. However putting (good) stress on the lower back is desirable in almost all instances - even people who've had herniated discs tend to benefit.

Anyway, if you're struggling to control the muscle activation in the right way for you, you may need to drop the weight right down to a beginners level, and then gradually work your way back up over a few months with the newly modified neuromuscular connection.

I do pin squats with slow negatives. They have a very similar feel to the hex deadlifts. Give those a try too.

I love the hex bar for shrugs and for rows. Try rowing with it. So smooth.

I train full body, so I will do squats and deadlifts on the same day at times. I always squat first. Actually, if I am doing heavy squats, I will opt to do rack pulls instead of normal deadlifts. And on heavy deadlift day I will do something less taxing for legs. Box squats or a pressing machine. Back when I used a bro split, I would deadlift on back day. And I would do them LAST. I never felt like I could do rowing motions after deadlifts.

Unfortunately my lower back hurts after doing deadlifts this week. I don't know what I did wrong because my form is perfect but I'll try other exercises like you suggested RedLeader until my lower back heals, if it heals!

Unfortunately my lower back hurts after doing deadlifts this week. I don't know what I did wrong because my form is perfect but I'll try other exercises like you suggested RedLeader until my lower back heals, if it heals!

Don't give up on deadlifts, maybe lower the weight concentrating on correct form with higher reps... Try foam rolling and stretches after each session.. The best way to protect the lower back from injury is to strengthen it..

The best way to protect the lower back from injury is to strengthen it..

This. Even if all you can do is a modified back extension or good morning, you need to find a way (that works for you) to strengthen the muscles and spinal erectors there.