• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Blurred vision during opiate withdrawal?

Havocsfool

Bluelighter
I'm two days clean and I've noticed that the further from my last opiate dose I get, the worse my vision is getting. Did anyone else have this experience? I have not had this experience before, but I haven't let myself withdraw more then a day and a half, without benzo's in six months. My eyes burn very badly to, by the end of today I couldn't see 20 feet in front of my face clearly it's not safe for me to drive but I don't own a car so no problem there. It's annoying being around people though. I mean I wear glasses so I know what blurred vision is, but this seems to be related to my opiate usage, in the mornings I'm fine, it's just as the day progresses I can't make out details and it moves closer in. This is accompanied by my eyes burning when shut, not when they are open. I also drink yerba mate and I've heard that it increases eye pressure. It could be that, but every hurt I'm feeling at the moment I'm pointing at withdrawal as the likely culprit.

That sounds rather unsettling. Can you see an optometrist? If you haven't had an eye appointment in a while and have insurance (or it isn't too expensive), it would be a worthwhile thing.

Hopefully you can get some other feedback on your question.

this used to happen to me when i would go through heroin withdrawals, it got worse as each initial detox day passed. Once the detox was over tho my vision would return to normal

Yes, I'll see an optometrist eventually, that is a good idea. Not in the budget at the moment though.

Mrsnowygrainius thanks for the reply, I do believe it to be withdrawal related. I guess I can rough it out and I'll see soon enough. This symptom might be the one that makes me quit for good though, it's a pain.

OP, were you an IV drug user? I wonder if this could be relate to some complication from IV use. There is so much trouble we don't normally think about that using stuff not designed for injection can cause.

YES!!!! I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!! I have experienced this MANY times. So I've been in MMT (methadone maintenance) for a 2 years now and I'm tapering off- well I got all the way up to 98mg and now I'm down to 13mg. Every time I taper down (once every 2 weeks) towards the end of my day when I'm coming home from work my shit is SO BLURRY, like super bad. Can't see shit that's close to my face. So weird, I've never told anyone about that cuz I thought it would sound fuckin weird!

Maybe you could talk to the doctor at the clinic about it? A lot of clinic doctors really suck, but they might know something about this if its not uncommon.

My doc at my clinic is strictly about methadone and that's it lol like any question ive ever had he's always said whatever is in the textbook basically. Like the whole "you don't gain weight on methadone, that's healthy weight from
Actually eating and taking care of your body" ummm well I was never on the streets or malnourished & I was on methadone (the pills) for a whole year before coming to the clinic and getting on the juice & NEVER gained weight! Lol everyone at my clinic has gained weight. It's something about the liquid and is all dependent on how high of a dose your on, because finally as I started tapering down (currently at 13mg) I'm losing weight. Anyways, I'm totally on a rant & so off subject ? But you catch my drift lol

I didn't gain weight on methadone over the 2.5 years I spent taking it, but I definitely lost some weight and got a hell of a lot healthier while I was finishing my taper and after getting off it. You've a lot to look forward to :)

My eyes have been burning all week as well as allergies. My last set of drops were Thursday. So seven days later and still having some burning feeling.

R13

Toothpastedog I only IV diluadid maybe 4 times in the past few months. Prior to this I haven't touched a needle for 7 years. I don't think it's IV related. It's strange because it got better and disappeared and now it came back for a few hours then went away. I did have a relapse though.... So it could be withdrawal related still, but ingesting opes didn't take it away fully, but I was only taking quarter my old dose. Which is pretty tiny anyways. It may be related to my blood pressure, because it seems to be worse towards the end of when I indulge in caffeine(300mg, twice a day). Or perhaps it's related to the interaction between withdrawal and caffeine?

Thanks for the response mollypop, it sounds like your experience is similar to mine. So it could be withdrawal related. Do you or did you drink caffeine during those times?

No problem! I'm kinda glad to know I'm not the only one. So I don't drink any caffeine BUT I am prescribed adderall, so that of course increases my blood pressure or whatever.