• ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shale

Bluelighter
The Mummy
Movie Blurb by Shale
June 15, 2017

This movie opened six days ago, but I have been under the weather, both literally with rainstorms and figuratively with bronchitis that ruined my nites with interrupted sleep and my days with koffing (which, even if I would have biked to the Cinema I would not go and kof during a movie) But, today I seem to be recovering, and it was a beautiful sunny day so I biked to AMC, Aventura and sat thru the movie without having a koffing spell. That was the good news. The movie, not so much.

I thot this retelling of The Mummy movie, especially with a female evil mummy would be better than the 1999 & 2001 Brendan Fraser movies but they are actually better. So, my first movie foray in 2 weeks was a disappointment.

I am not alone in this. The aggregate critics on Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 16% Fresh. Their consensus "Lacking the campy fun of the franchise's most recent entries and failing to deliver many monster-movie thrills, The Mummy suggests a speedy unraveling for the Dark Universe." The Dark Universe to which they refer is Universal's new monsters film series with a Frankenstein movie coming up in 2019.

Anyhow, This movie opens in the 12th Century England with the burial of a crusader knight and a large ruby from Egypt. This crypt is uncovered in present time by a rail tunnel excavation. Also, in present time Iraq, Nick Morton (Tom Cruise) a U.S. Military officer and his buddy Sgt. Chris Vail (Jake Johnson) who also deal in stolen antiquities inadvertently discover the 3K-year-old tomb of Egyptian Princess Ahmanet (Sofia Boutella).

Nick & Sgt Chris Vail
the-mummy-2017-8.jpg

Of course this has all sorts of unsolved mystery to Jennifer Halsey (Annabelle Wallis) an archaeologist who was searching for the tomb.

Nick & Jennifer
Tom-Cruise.jpg

The mystery is, why would this mummy be buried so far from Egypt? Well, that's because she was so bad and killed her family and practiced dark arts to resurrect the Egyptian god Set in the body of a mortal. That got interrupted and she was buried alive in Mesopotamia. But now we have her being dug up and Nick is the first guy she imprints on.

Ahmanet in London
The-Mummy5.jpeg

From there is Ahmanet trying to bring her evil plans together while Nick and Jennifer, with help from her boss Dr. Henry Jekyll (Russell Crowe) (Yes, as in Mr. Hyde) try to stop the evil.

Nick & Dr. Jekyll
the-mummy-2017-4.jpg

Good CGI. Sandstorm with a face forming in it - Seen That. Skeletal Zombie like mummy minions - Seen That. Kiss that sucks the life and flesh out of someone - Seen That. A dead best buddy, appearing as a visage - Seen That.

Some critics complained of this movie being derivative - Seen That.

On a brite side, Tom Cruise, while perhaps not suited to this character, is still a viable action hero. There is a scene in the morgue where Nick is laid out with other bodies that went down in a plane crash but he abruptly sits up and rips himself out of his plastic shroud bag. He is naked and we get a side glimpse of him as he tries to hide from ppl who come into the morgue. His bod is still well built at age 54, unless it too is part of the CGI.

Tom-Cruise-in-a-morgue-in-The-Mummy-886435.jpg

Last edited:
I really wanted to like this one, but couldn’t. Must agree with much of what you’ve said on this, to be honest. I don’t rate the original two films with Brendan Fraser extremely highly – though both were far better than this, if you ask me. I also couldn’t get over Russell Crowe’s accent and how bad it was at times.

Even though it was pretty poorly received by critics, it hasn’t done too bad at the box office. So, undoubtedly Universal will continue with the franchise plans. Let’s hope that Frankenstein will be a better step in the right direction.

To be honest, if there’s one movie I want to see in the “Dark Universe”, it would have to be The Invisible Man (pretty sure Johnny Depp is attached). Massive fan of H.G. Wells and I rather liked James Whale’s 1933 adaptation, as well.