• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Getting addicted roommates evicted

Geminist

Greenlighter
To start from the beginning, I moved out to a new state and into my friends new home. Lived here with her and 3 other roommates for a little over a year. A couple of friends of hers(coke dealer and girlfriend) were havin a hard time and needed a place to stay and we had a room open. We discussed it and decided it was ok, but they had to discontinue with their dealing in,near, or around the house. Things seemed to be going well and then they ended up staying. Then a couple things went missing amd it started to smell like smoke in their room. My friend was moving out of state and had a property manager take over and we all signed a lease. Of course there was a no smoking clause for in the house and they put no smoking in the garage as well . (After we accused them of smoking inside, they wanted to live in the garage and smoked in there all the time) once my friend moved out, they moved back into the house. The ex coke-dealing couple started getting hooked on painkillers which they always bought from the nice next door lady. The guy doesn't have a job, just paints and the girl recently got fired from hers and works from home when she can. They are always going next door buying pills. But since the owner has left money has come up missing from the 3 of us original roommates and it's just a horrible living situation with the couple now. Always paying late, lying about little things, and taking up more space than all 3 of us put together.

My question is; Can we get our property manager to come do an inspection without having to tell them about it. Can he come with only letting one of us on the lease know, or do all of the renters have to get it in writing?

We've tried talking with them, but we just cant trust them. We need them gone. They are effecting our personal lives, stressing us out, and making us uncomfortable in our own home.

Any ideas on how to get them out? We are getting locks for our doors and want to buy cameras eventually. They have the Internet bill and the modem in their name/room, so I'm not sure if I can get a wireless camera, without them being able to mess with it.
HELP!

I am not really sure, but it will probably depend both on your contract and tenancy laws in your country and/or state, so I would suggest trying to find some kind of impartial housing or legal advice agency to ask.

However in almost all cases if there is illegal activity going on in the premises the owner and/or property manager will be keen to get them out ASAP, so why not just contact your property manager and be honest about the situation and try to get them to help you out? They will know much better than you what legal options are available to them and will be able to do much more than you will be able to do.

You said they are always paying late also, honestly I would think this is the owner's problem far more than it is yours. If anyone is ever fronting them money for rent, stop doing this, and again if you contact the owner/property manager and explain the situation I'm sure they'll want to get it sorted (ie, get these inconsiderate losers evicted) ASAP.