Regaining control over alcohol

Leontios

Greenlighter
Hi, everyone,

I'm a 33 year old male from an European country. Over the last 18 years or so, alcohol have been an important and natural part of my life. However, during the last five or six years I have taken up the bad habit of drinking every single night before going to bed. I don´t drink insane amounts (usually a sixpack of 0.5 liter cans of beer or a bottle of red wine). My alcohol consumption don´t interfere with my job and I never drink during the daytime, even at weekends or during holidays. If I skip drinking for a day or two, I don't get any physical signs of withdrawal, so I guess I'm not an alcoholic in the physical sense of the word. Nonetheless, I feel that alcohol have a grip and a level of control over me. If I don't drink anything in the evenings, I can't calm down and go to sleep.

My goal is not to stop drinking, but to regain a more normal relationship with alcohol. I want to be in control of my drinking, rather than vica versa. When I were in my early 20's I was addicted to heroin and benzos for a year and a half. I don't want to let a drug get that level of control of me ever again and I fear that I might become an alcoholic if I don´t do something about my drinking habit now. So my question is, have anyone managed to go from being an everyday drinker to getting a more healthy relationship with alcohol?

you see, the trick is, you cant regain the control after you once loose it.
sorry
im dealing with the same problem

Hello Leontios, I had been drinking daily for about a year. Hard alcohol, and it progressed from a pint a day, to a pint and a half, to two, to in the worst week before I came to terms with my addiction, I was having a 750mil bottle of rum daily. This was to maintain the buzz mind you, and not to get black out drunk.

Over the course of the last month and half, I tapered down from the amount I was having to prevent really bad withdrawls to currently, i am six days sober for the first time in the past year. I think I ultimately want to have a positive relationship with alcohol again, and not use it as a coping mechanism. I would like to enjoy a beer with friends or a glass of wine, and not have the craving to chug the whole bottle on an empty stomach.

I believe i can go back to a positive relationship again, it will just take time, realizing WHY I'm drinking in the moment and identify the issues i'm feeling that make me want to drink.

you see, the trick is, you cant regain the control after you once loose it.
sorry
im dealing with the same problem

Yes, I have heard that as well and there is certainly a point of no return. Long-term dependence on alcohol will in the end change the structures in the brain in a physiological way, but I'm not there (yet). I don't think I am addicted to alcohol in a physical way, but I am certainly drinking in an unhealthy way.

Hello Leontios, I had been drinking daily for about a year. Hard alcohol, and it progressed from a pint a day, to a pint and a half, to two, to in the worst week before I came to terms with my addiction, I was having a 750mil bottle of rum daily. This was to maintain the buzz mind you, and not to get black out drunk.

Over the course of the last month and half, I tapered down from the amount I was having to prevent really bad withdrawls to currently, i am six days sober for the first time in the past year. I think I ultimately want to have a positive relationship with alcohol again, and not use it as a coping mechanism. I would like to enjoy a beer with friends or a glass of wine, and not have the craving to chug the whole bottle on an empty stomach.

I believe i can go back to a positive relationship again, it will just take time, realizing WHY I'm drinking in the moment and identify the issues i'm feeling that make me want to drink.

That´s great to hear. It takes a lot of willpower to successfully taper down from such an amount!

I haven´t tried to reduce my drinking little by little, but I will give that a shot now. Whenever I have tried to stop drinking, I have given up after three days or so as I am unable to sleep properly without it. Hopefully reducing the amount by a weekly basis will be a better way to do it.

I have never been physically dependend neither.
still, I know I do have a bad habbit and dont think i can get back to drinking with full control like i used to.
i drink ~4 6-7% beers daily, i never get really drunk, too.
but i go crazy if i dont have my beer before sleep

To make a successful attempt you would have to set the limit you wish to return to and then keep it. You will get much better sleep if you do not drink before sleeping. May take a few weeks for your sleep to return to normal and you may get some wild dreams while healing.

I'll skip all the mental health stuff and go straight to supplements. Lithium Orotate is as safe as elemental zinc/magnesium weight for weight.

It seems to antagonize dopamine dependant behaviors, and increase the time till next drink in alcoholics. I found a dose pretty much obliterated the urge to drink or use anymore benzos. Knee jerk reactions will tell you that Lithium use is 'self medicating' but in reality the amount that is prescribed by doctors is way over - 20x-50x - the amount you would supplement with.

In a way that everyone who recommends magnesium for alcohol related problems (you piss it out/gets used up by EtOh) elemental Lithium is something that should be replaced.

Read my other thread if you want 2 of the pubmed links, otherwise google it up.

Lithium Carbonate requires regular blood checks to monitor dosage for effectiveness and safety. Does this "supplement" also produce significant amounts of lithium in a persons system when taken oraly?

If so i would hesitate to self administer this for obvious reasons.

Kidney function and lithium concentrations of rats given an injection of lithium orotate or lithium carbonate

This is the point, on this website we have researched EVERY friggin chemical from here and back and can tell you everything about every herb, every Phenethylamine, etc. Yet the thought of doing some actual research on a NON scheduled nor non "recreational" element is beyond us.

Do you get blood levels drawn for magnesium or zinc when you supplement with them? No, it is generally recognized as safe, but if you are sick then go ahead and get your blood drawn. It is usually good to know more, then less.

This same line of thinking - Oh, Pdocs prescribe this for batshit insane people - is the reason it gets negatively associated and/or willfully ignored.

Please don't put down people with mental illness. People with bipolar disorder are not "batshit insane."

I do not know what blood draws for levels of other chemicals have to do with levels of lithium.. nothing. That argument turns out to be a logical fallacy.

Guidelines for the Prescribing and Monitoring of Inpatient Lithium Therapy

Lithium Toxicity

Symptoms of lithium toxicity
ACUTE TOXICITY
After taking too much lithium you will have symptoms such as:
Diarrhea
Dizziness
Nausea
Stomach pains
Vomiting
Weakness
You may also have some of the following nervous system symptoms, depending on how much lithium you took:
Coma
Hand tremors
Incoordination of arms and legs (ataxia)
Muscle twitches
Seizures
Slurred speech
Uncontrollable eye movement (nystagmus)
Heart problems may occur in rare cases.
CHRONIC TOXICITY
You will likely not have any gastrointestinal symptoms. Symptoms that may occur include:
Increased reflexes
Slurred speech
Tremors
In severe cases, you may also have nervous system and kidney problems such as:
Kidney failure
Memory problems
Movement disorders
Problems keeping salts in your body
Psychosis

source http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/poison/lithium-overdose/overview.html

Lithium Intoxication

Scholarly lithium toxicity

It can also cause diabetes

Just some more material to add to your research