• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Dr. Feelgood: Dealer or Healer? Dr. William Hurwitz (documented medication regimen)

Pharmakonis

Greenlighter
A documentary released widely in January 2017 entitled Dr. Feelgood: Dealer or Healer? chronicles the explosion of prescription opioid analgesics onto the scene in the mid 1990's and the misapplication of information known regarding opioids in chronic pain conditions.

This documentary is currently available on Netflix, as well as other outlets after being selected for several film festivals of 2016. While the whole film is an interesting look into what we already know, at least anecdotally, about long-term opioid use, there is a specific aspect I would like to address and was brought up in the films, but not focused on adequately in my opinion. This aspect is the lack of an absolute maximum dose for pure opioid agonists. It seems that the idea that there is indeed no hindrance to use of increasing doses of pure (mu-) agonists is given little credence. While it is obvious that addicts exploited this belief to their own detriment and the Dr. Hurwitz, this is what I saw to be the only focus of the idea (of ever-escalating doses). Indeed, the only absolute reason why dose escalation AKA titration-to-effect is the development of respiratory drive depression and other attendant complications of CNS depression. However, taking a look at a patient's documented medication regimen displayed during the film reveals what can only be looked at as clear misapplication of the principle. The patient is a chronic back pain patient who did not have their vertebrae properly stabilized during surgery, and had subsequently more severe pain than was anticipated following the surgical procedure. Even though the regimen shown would normally be expected to develop over a period of decades of opioid use, in reality several (3-5 years) had elapsed at most. The regimen displayed on screen was as follows (these are at most 15 day supplies given the signatura [sig] line):

–Klonopin 2.0mg Disp #30 Sig 2 tabs Q HS No Refills > Total of 60mg of the controlled API clonazepam per Rx, 4mg per day at bedtime...

–OxyContin 80.0mg Disp #200 Sig 5 tabs TID > Total of 16,000mg (16g) of the controlled API oxycodone HCl per Rx, 1,200mg (1.2g) per day, 400mg per dose (!)

–Dilaudid 4.0mg Disp #400 Sig 10 tabs Q 4-5h > Total of 1,600mg (1.6g) of the controlled API hydromorphone HCl per Rx, 240mg per day, 40mg per dose 6x daily.

–Oxycodone 5.0mg Disp #1500 Sig 20 tabs Q 3-4h PRN breakthrough pain > Total of 7,500 (7.5g) of the controlled API oxycodone HCl per Rx, 600mg per day if taken every 4h, and a total now of 1800mg of oxycodone between the CR form present in OxyContin® and the IR form present in Oxycodone HCl IR tablets (generic) (!)

–Methadone 10.0mg Disp #60 Sig 4 tabs Q HS > Total of 600mg of the controlled API methadone HCl per Rx, 40mg per day taken as a single 40mg dose at the "hour of sleep..."

Now, I have seen some aggressive pain management control regimens in my time, especially with severe chronic pain associated with malignancy. As we now know, chronic pain not associated with malignancy can be just as severe and warrant properly tailored treatments as that pain associated with malignancy. All that said, this is a incredible dosing regiment! I have difficulty believing the patient would need any benzodiazepine or related sedative-hypnotic to assist in sleep as the steady intake throughout the day of three different narcotic analgesics, oxycodone, hydromorphone & methadone, with the last agonist being administered entirely at bedtime, its long half-life means it will still be at work well through the next day. The neuroexcitatory properties of both hydromorphone and methadone along with metabolites thereof, contribute to the lowering of the seizure threshold and possible development of an excited delirium may be the indicator used to warrant the administration of a benzodiazepine like clonazepam which is particularly effective in controlling seizures.

This patient was also receiving S.L. buprenorphine 0.3mg after formal treatments. The patient was monitored particularly closely as they had endorsed a history of cocaine use. Additionally, the amounts of medication being prescribed were such that no drug was prescribed with supply for more than 15 days so the patient was being seen at least bi-monthly.

After reviewing this list and the frankly outrageously large quantities of drugs being dispensed, I was hoping to get the feedback of other users on such a regimen.

~Pharmakonis

I was of course thinking the same thing, and as I said MAYBE you would work up to that regimen in decades, but even that was a stretch. While I think initially this doctor was applying the concepts he learned about giving increasing doses until effect is achieved, it is more than clear from the rest of his actions that was aware his patients were largely addicts who sought him out (but given those dosing guidelines being as liberal as they are...it would only be a matter of time before even legit patients were having serious physical dependency issues.

What gets me too is that you can have a rogue doctor prescribing doses that are much more in-line with accepted treatment and be able to fly under the radar, but with scripts for 1500 oxycodone tabs twice a month or sigs for taking 5 80mg OxyContin tabs 3 times a day when OxyContin is a 12-hour medication, and all the other aberrant qualities of such a regimen, why didn't a pharmacist stop and say, "this is tantamount to pharmaceutical suicide and I won't fill an Rx for such extreme dosing regimens." Where were the pharmacists in all this. In PA, and I know in at least several other states, pharmacists are forbidden from filling any Rx that they believe is either fraudulent, cannot be handled by the intended patient, is out of therapeutic norms, is not in keeping with good practices or scope of practice, etc. The pharmacy that was implicated was a small, non-chain, mom-and-pop type pharmacies and the trigger was just routine monitoring by the DEA of the form 222's being used to re-stock the pharmacy. It was found they were filling 80% of this physician's scripts...and if you are ordering bottles of 100, 500, or 1000 tabs of 5mg oxycodone, and you have perhaps 40 patients from the same physician on similar doses, then it would set off alarms somewhere in the chain. It was a racket, pure and simple.

the sad thing about this kind of reckless prescribing is how much harder it has made it for pain patients to get medications they need, and sort of makes people perceive any escalation in dosing which account for tolerance look like drug-seeking or profiteering quackery.

...and that's not even mentioning the heroin/fent epidemic that the whole oxy craze (and the crackdown that followed it).

i feel sorry for the legit pain patients that have an even harder time getting any relief because of shit like this.

it does seem risky as hell to prescribe such large doses of numerous opioids as well as benzodiazepines. seems incredibly dangerous to me.