• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ohio sues drug companies over opiod epidemic

Look into the marketing issue, as it's far more systemic an issue in American society than you might think. Doctors are responsible to a degree, but the folks who provided the training in how to use the meds gave doctors incorrect information about the drug, incentives and whatnot to do so aside. We are one of the only countries that allows this kind of marketing and training by pharm companies, as well as one of the developed nation Im aware of that allows direct advertising of pharmaceuticals to consumers (which is also highly problematic).

Look into the marketing issue, as it's far more systemic an issue in American society than you might think. Doctors are responsible to a degree, but the folks who provided the training in how to use the meds gave doctors incorrect information about the drug, incentives and whatnot to do so aside. We are one of the only countries that allows this kind of marketing and training by pharm companies, as well as one of the developed nation Im aware of that allows direct advertising of pharmaceuticals to consumers (which is also highly problematic).

doctors are fucking doctors, they should be well trained enough to look at peer reviewed science publications in medical journals on opiates...not listen to a sales rep with zero medical knowledge.

If doctors are not trained on how to tell the difference between objective science and salesmenship, we have a problem with our medical schools not with pharmaceutical companies.

I'm curious, did you have a particularly bad experience with a doctor and this stuff yourself?

I think it can be a problem even if it's not recreational.
A doctor can prescribe too high a dose and make a patient's tolerance and dependence rise and keep giving them more without having a solid plan for future tapering or pain management. I feel like a lot of opiate addicts don't start out recreationally they just come to physically depend on the drug more and more.
But this is your opinion. Care to support this statement with any statistics? Because I've read the contrary.

I'm curious, did you have a particularly bad experience with a doctor and this stuff yourself?

i guess i feel better about pharma being sued than doctors....because the more you prosecute or sue doc the worse it will make the situation of under prescribing.

You know who else has a huge heroin problem? Afgahnistan, you know how much pharmaceutical opioids they have/had around, Nothing. Case in point heroin epidemics are caused by readily available heroin and Law enforcement failure to keep heroin out, not scripts.

Following this logic we should be limiting adderall prescription since we also have a meth problem, or be seeing huge amounts of ppl switching to meth.

I've had chronic pain from a back injury for a long time so i've dealt wth both good and bad docs in regards to this issue

I went to a new pain doctor today since i recently moved and saw a poster saying that "doctors have been taught that opioids were not addictive" Taught by whom? Pharma reps? If you go back you can find studies for any opioid/ate on animals and later humans, all showing dependency and reinforcing behaviors..Long before the drugs were used in clinical medicine. If a doctor isn't aware of that or can't go look it up on their computer and instead listens to pharma reps Its on the doctor.

Last edited:
I'm not sure you understand the nature of drug use. Heroin epidemics are by definition the product of ineffective drug policy. Afghanistan definitely qualifies as somewhere will a less than ideal drug policy, but I have a distinct feeling their "epidemic" has more to do with the stress, trauma, uncertainty and scarcity of decades of war than the availability of heroin.

No one decides to use heroin just because. No one develops a habit unless heroin relieves their pain in the kind of way nothing else they've known has. Just because it's around won't led to an explosion of use unless there is a demand for it. The more stress people have to deal with in day to day life (such as is the case during times of war) the greater the demand will be. With illegal drugs, demand tends to create the supply,not the other way around.

I'm not sure you understand the nature of drug use. Heroin epidemics are by definition the product of ineffective drug policy. Afghanistan definitely qualifies as somewhere will a less than ideal drug policy, but I have a distinct feeling their "epidemic" has more to do with the stress, trauma, uncertainty and scarcity of decades of war than the availability of heroin.

No one decides to use heroin just because. No one develops a habit unless heroin relieves their pain in the kind of way nothing else they've known has. Just because it's around won't led to an explosion of use unless there is a demand for it. The more stress people have to deal with in day to day life (such as is the case during times of war) the greater the demand will be. With illegal drugs, demand tends to create the supply,not the other way around.

You're arguing that a shitty life or some sort of pain is also required for heroin to explode. people with amazing lives (Hollywood for example) fall prey to drug addiction as much as anyone if not more.

Humans are hardwired to love heroin, dopamine. the same thing that has ensured survival of the species and its evolution in the first place. Availability of heroin is all that is required, people don't just use heroin "just because"...they use it for the same reasons they do anything whatsoever...dopamine.

misery, happiness...doesn't matter, humans still seeks dopamine, the presence of heroin is all that it needs to flourish. you can try to blame it on socioecomomics all you want, but its much more about biology

Well, as I've said before, I'm not so sure you understand much about the nature of addiction (in particular the biology of addiction. Both my experience and the empirical research done on substance use disorder suggests that addiction is FAR more than about drug use.

The opporiste of addiction is connection, not abstinence. Abstinence is a strategy that may benefit or may not benefit those seeking help overcoming the challenges of addiction treatment. And, for your information, humans are not simply hard wired to love heroin. If that were true once an addiction always an addiction. However, again the research suggests that this simply isn't the case. If it were, I wouldn't have been able to successfully move on in my life from heroin use.

You post above is a perfect example of how addiction as a brain disease promotes by the likes of the NIDA is not a very efficacious, and can end up easily promoting stigma associated with substance use disorder. And the stigma surrounding addiction and the related isolation and alienation is impossible ofor address my simply focusing on dru g use. The effective treatment of substance use disorder requires the effective integration of users with therapeutic, supportive community,

To try and argue that humans simply seek dopamine and that addiction is more about nature (biology) than nurture. Certainly nature is involved in dealing with this stuff, but nurture plays an even greater role (addiction is more accurately termed a learning or developmental disorder, not a brain disease).

I take it you don't know about the Rat Park experiments? That research very effectively demonstrates that even though even when access to unlimited pharmaceutical grade substances, social animals (such as rats and humans) the subjects greatly prefer spending time playing, mating and otherwise living their little rat lives. And when it comes to humans, The nueroscience research of the like the Carl Hart has demonstrated that, presented with very small incentives, like a $20 gift card for the market instead of a dose of pure cocaine or methamphetamine.

I strongly suggest you learn more about the history of addiction and how society has dealt with it. The SL directory has a link to a great comic by a Stuart McMillen explaining the finding of Rat Park. Basically they found that rats would only use drugs when there were isolated from one another. If addiction were merely a brain disease, this wouldn't be the case. If anything, as social animals ourselves, human beings tend to rely far more on substance use to regulate their mood than when they aren't connected much with other people.

And the scientific aside, I find the kind of attitude about addiction you're presenting as far too deterministic. The fact of the matter of something even like heroin use is that the vast majority of people will either simply age out or harmful patterns of drug use during their later twenties and thirties or, with a change in environment geared towards supportive recovery communities, the circumstances of our lives has more to do with heroin use than anything inherent adopt about the pharmacological properties of heroin. None of this would be possible if addiction was more about our nature and bilogy than nurture and environment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that social aspects play a part in the propensity for addiction...and moreso in recocery.but how many ppl in the world have physical mental pain? Answer: everyone.

But I think it has to do with ppl having fulfilling lives not trying heroin in the first place...but once that bridge is crossed biology dominates....if it was as easy to overcome biology why do ppl keep taking drugs no matter how fucked their lives get¿ dopamine

Also why do opiates dominate ppl with perfect lives that never had a problem..asking ppl not lo like opiates is likeing asking them not to like sex

I think that that is a big part of it. There is very little, if anything, that is attractive about using something like heroin (if for no other reason than the stigma surrounding what most lay people think of as heroin use) for someone who isn't already struggling.

Funny thing is, about half the people I know who have ever tried heroin really hated it and didn't pursue exploring that avenue of drug use. So while I totally agree that biology plays a primary role at various points in the process (tolerance, dependence, etc), even individual biology will differ from person to person.

Plus, as I'm still a bit of an idealist-romantic the idea of determinism makes me a little uncomfortable ;)