• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why psycadelics = perfect & SSRIs = nasty crap???

Legally High

Bluelighter
I love the way I feel tripping. Never had a "bad" trip. I will trip and go out to the club on my own. I can't seem to get this feeling from ssris or any antidepressants I've tried. Would it be just as effective and safe to microdose everyday?
I've taken tons of drugs but the only ones that make me interested in life are tripping and opiates. Neither have any sustainability. Gabagenics are nice, but cause sedation and depression, memory issues, dependency etc.

If I could get the buzzing energy that psychs give me with or without the "trip"...it would save my life.

Last edited:
they're completely different classes of drugs, with totally different uses, functions, methods of action and purpose.

i'm not sure what you're asking?

I've tripped about 50 times at varying doses from microdose to heroic dose; the only true joy and direction I've gotten from psychedelics was the realization that to create the feelings of awe and joy from psychedelics you can simply earn it sober through living a more healthy lifestyle. The lack of this can mean you're not using the trips for their intended purpose, guidance. You should be using that euphoric sense of reality these drugs give you more frugally, investing it in getting to know what makes you happy while it does last. While the initial glow of psychedelics may last only a couple days to a week, the insights attained during that period can last you a lifetime if you focus.

^ well put. in a therapeutic sense, i definitely agree with you

I understood the questions as " why serotonin agonists feel better than serotonin reuptake inhibitors"

Ah I see... different ways of affecting seretonin. It just seems like if I'm going to take a chemical every day it might as well be one that works.... having never tried micro dosing I wasn't sure how it might compare or even if it is a worth while to attempt.

I love the way I feel tripping. Never had a "bad" trip. I will trip and go out to the club on my own. I can't seem to get this feeling from ssris or any antidepressants I've tried. Would it be just as effective and safe to microdose everyday?
I've taken tons of drugs but the only ones that make me interested in life are tripping and opiates. Neither have any sustainability. Gabagenics are nice, but cause sedation and depression, memory issues, dependency etc.

If I could get the buzzing energy that psychs give me with or without the "trip"...it would save my life.

SSRI's are "anti-depressants" - they are intended to stop you from being depressed, not get you high (let's face it, few "healthy" people will go out to the club on their own while they're completely sober... or atleast they'll be trying to quickly get somewhat drunk/high once they're in).

That said, SSRI's aren't universally effective in all cases of depression - for people who suffer from anhedonia (an inability to feel pleasure) or avolition (a severe lack of motivation), just boosting baseline serotonin levels often isn't going to cut it, so it might be necessary to try an SNRI (which boosts noradrenaline in addition to serotonin), add a low dose of a stimulant, or augment with Abilify (an antipsychotic that in an ideal case will do for your dopamine receptors what Suboxone does for opioid receptors - partially activating some and blocking others, thus keeping you both active and stable).

There's also a new crop of antidepressants that include a "microdose-like" effect - Vortioxetine (Brintellix/Trintellix) and Vilazodone (Viibryd) are essentially SSRI's with added 5HT1A partial agonism, so they boost baseline serotonin levels *and* directly target a subtype of serotonin receptor involved in the regulation of anxiety and motivation.

I understood the questions as " why serotonin agonists feel better than serotonin reuptake inhibitors"

If this is the case op, you're taking acid, tabs, LSD as opposed to an artificial mood stabilizer. One is actually supposed to fuck up your perception and get you trippy and one is supposed to make life a little easier without affecting that deep into your perception.

i'm not sure what you're asking?

I actually think he's just biased to think that psychedelics are angels and SSRIs are devils.

He ignores that psychedelics can cause bad trips and that SSRIs are superior against placebo and have helped millions of people

Maybe it's because I take an ssri or because I keep chill pills but I never have "bad" trips. I get a manic energy and feel like I need to take advantage of feeling outgoing to do something.

Yes there is nuance, it is not black and white.. some sidenotes:

- LSD may affect certain things like stress levels, the way you look at life and other things but I'm not sure if they are a reliable mood enhancer by any means or whether you need to have trips or microdose for any such effect.
- Therapeutic effects of a moderate LSD dose every week may be quite different than trying to take microdoses daily... different angle or at least partially...
- Things like SSRI's can help stabilize your mood at a reasonable, moderate level though by caring *less* not more. AD's can help some people get a grip on life and work on problems by giving some relief but that is again a very different angle than gaining a new perspective or inspiration. Not all mental problems and not every depression is the same, some people may respond much better to psychological triggers / experiences than others. Ability to formulate "whats wrong" may very well suggest which approach makes more sense for you. (Of course some people get different uses like SSRI's for panic disorders, that's a different story, including for how long to stay on them).
- It's really circumstantial... people here may also be biased because when psychedelics do help they seem to in a much more 'thankful' way compared to when SSRI's help. But something like a dysthemic disorder probably only responds to lsd quite temporarily while appropriate pharmaceuticals or therapies may offer much more relief.
- SSRI's still appear to be overprescribed and the price you pay for taking them may be quite underestimated... compared to such situations where mental problems are not well looked into, psychedelics can seem to have a better cost:benefit ratio. But that doesn't mean you can just substitute with psychedelics in every case.

It's the strangest thing. When I took acid it was like I could see clearly for the first time in forever. I'm usually trapped in my own head but for once I felt free. Not in a foggy way either like I'm accustomed when gaining relief. But really and truly "awake".

Yes apparently psychedelics including acid expand your consciousness by integrating your brain's faculties so I guess your mind... may mean some quarrels have to be fought out, some things have to be confronted because of all the subconscious gossip but it does achieve a sort of unity and that is also how it feels doesn't it?
Of course this has to be done with care, not a process you can fuck with too much.

Is rue and cappi extract similar feeling? At least they would be natural instead of the chemicals I take.

Is rue and cappi extract similar feeling? At least they would be natural instead of the chemicals I take.

That's a difficult question to answer. There may be some subjective similarities, but the harmala alkaloids extracted from caapi and rue are monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), a completely different class of drug from both LSD and SSRIs. Stronger MAOIs are prescribed as antidepressants in some cases, although it is my understanding that this is relatively rare due to the restrictive diet necessary to take them safely with regularity. The harmalas may be considered "weaker" MAOIs than the prescription types such as Selegeline and Phenelzine but there is still some risk associated with them re: diet if you plan to take them regularly.

If SSRIs aren't working for you, I'd advise talking with your therapist/physician about trying something different. If you trust them not to be judgmental, be open about your LSD use and how it makes you feel; it may give them a better idea of where to take your treatment. SSRIs are common, and they help many people, but they don't work for everyone and that's OK. Brain chemistry differs from person to person, that's why there are so many different options on the market (ignoring, for the moment, Big Pharma's hand in things).

As for rue/caapi extract being somehow better for being natural, don't forget that LSD is a man-made chemical.

As for rue/caapi extract being somehow better for being natural, don't forget that LSD is a man-made chemical.

This.

Cocaine is natural, yet you probably wouldn't consider it a "healthier alternative" to Ritalin. Heck, Paclitaxel is natural, and it's used for freaking chemotherapy.

Anyway, there actually is a pharmaceutical equivalent of the harmala alkaloids, a Reversible Inhibitor of MonoAmineOxidase A ("RIMA") called Moclobemide, which lacks the unpleasant side-effects of P. harmala/B. caapi. Moclobemide unfortunately isn't available for prescription in the US though, but pretty much everywhere else it is sold as "Aurorix", "Mannerix" or various generics.

Cocaine is not natural, you ever seen cocaine in nature? Haha. The LSD comparison I feel is the exception to the rule. It's microgram size has little impact on the body and your physical heath. Pills are toxic and poison. I've considered ordering moclobemide online...but that comes with its own issues (quality, legality, cost) the cappi/rue extract may be a starting point to see if MAOIs are for me?

And the diet thing would be no problem for me as I'm a strict eater as it is for health reasons.

Cocaine is not natural, you ever seen cocaine in nature? Haha. The LSD comparison I feel is the exception to the rule. It's microgram size has little impact on the body and your physical heath.

Cocaine is the principal alkaloid in Erythroxylum coca, extracted via simple acid-base extraction. If you consider caapi extract natural, then yes, you would have to extend the same courtesy to cocaine.

As for LSD being "harmless" because of its low dosages: In general a substance used in low doses has a lower chance of producing harmful levels of toxic metabolites. However, it says nothing about harmful side-effects in relation to the active dose - NBOMe's are also effective at very low doses (<1 mg) but compared to other psychedelics they are toxic a.f.

Pills are toxic and poison. I've considered ordering moclobemide online...but that comes with its own issues (quality, legality, cost) the cappi/rue extract may be a starting point to see if MAOIs are for me?

Irreversible MAOI's (Tranylcypromine, Phenelzine) have excellent antidepressant efficacy if you can live with the dietary restrictions. The reversible MAOI Moclobemide has significantly less of an antidepressant effect, but it is well tolerated.
B. caapi is basically just going to give you the worst of both worlds - you're going to lack MAO-B inhibition, and you're probably going to experience significant gastrointestinal discomfort and confusion (I'd take the dietary restrictions of an irreversible MAOI over persistent nausea any day of the week).

wait a minute!

Natural medicines are powerful healing agents as well as dangerous poisons just the same as synthetic medicines -
consider digitalis (foxglove), coca paste, ephedra, opium, etc. etc.

The amazing thing about LSD (and it's family {- we used to think it was alone -}) is not so much that it is active in microgram dosages (like nbomes, fentanyl's, and fly's) but that even while it is active between 10 and 1000 mics, it is not actually physiologically damaging at 1000 mics and higher, while most drugs - both natural and synthetic - will kill when used at dosages that are just triple or 10 times the active medicinal recommendation.

Almost none of the known medicines from any source, except for lsd's, are physically benign when accidentally dosed at 100 times or more the intended amount.

No I realize this, but common sense would be a reputable herb is going to be MUCH safer than man made inorganic chemicals MOST of the time. Most chemicals if you took in micrograms would not be effective, not be very damaging either. I honestly don't think LSD would be physically healthy if you had to take take a gram daily.