• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health will my ANXIETY allways be like this?

YehMan

Greenlighter
so will my anxiety always be severe or will it calm down over a period of time (times a healer some people say)
post your experience with anxiety and how it calmed down over time (or not)
what medication did you use or still use (if you used any at all)
what did you find helped with your anxiety?
how you overcome anxiety?

any advise would be appreciated I have today been diagnosed with GAD (general anxiety disorder) and panic disorder what medication did you find best?

so will my anxiety always be severe or will it calm down over a period of time (times a healer some people say)
post your experience with anxiety and how it calmed down over time (or not)
what medication did you use or still use (if you used any at all)
what did you find helped with your anxiety?
how you overcome anxiety?

any advise would be appreciated I have today been diagnosed with GAD (general anxiety disorder) and panic disorder what medication did you find best?​

I take lithium and effexor for panic anxiety and suicidal depression.

I wouldnt consider lithium atless youve exhaust everything and like me would get so paniced id kill myself.fail and wake up in icu

I would consider in order

1. Exercise
2. Diet
3. General Blood work for any deficiency.
4. Talk therapy
5. SSRIs
6. Hydroxyzine or buspar
7. Older antidepressants Tri terta cyclics mitrazepine trazadone ect
8. Snris or gapapentin
9. Abilify or seroquel
10. Benzos

i always had anxiety as a kid - night-terrors, panic attacks, general unease etc. it went away when i was like 16 but slowly came back when i began smoking weed. it went away for a bit when i quit that but then i began my 2 year addiction to mephedrone and various other uppers - bad idea. by the time i was 23 i was a raving lunatic insomniac who was crippled by near-hourly panic attacks unless i was eating bucketloads of valium, but i had a few ODs from the valium so decided to come off it and had a huge mental breakdown.

basically, stop taking drugs.forgive the assumption but you're on bluelight so there must be some use. when i calmed down on the drugs (quit for 6months, then slowly re-introduced the less emotionally crippling ones and stuck to safe levels) before you consider taking SSRIs and sedatives and stuff. cause they're a bitch to find the right one and then the sideeffects fucking suck and coming off of them is insanely hard.

tl;dr try stopping drugs before you consider anti-depressants.

I was born anxious--hardwired for it for unknown reasons as many people seem to be. As a child it was excruciating except when in nature. That was a good lesson: nature is truly a healer and a refuge. Over time, I did many things to deal with my anxiety. I abused drugs for a few years in my teens but with the exception of psychedelics (which had a positive effect for me) they made things worse. I tried talk therapy and did not get very far concerning my anxiety but did find it very useful in getting to know myself. Age has helped immensely so if you are young, take heart for the future!;) The absolute best tools I have found are CBT and mindfulness. Anything that challenges the anxiety thought loops that cause you to miss the present by catapulting you constantly into the past (fatalism, cynicism) and into the future (worry, projection) is a good tool.

Learning the tenets of CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and mindfulness is easy in these times--you can get endless free resources on the web, not to mention in community outreach classes, books, therapy etc.<3

Anxiety will generally lessen over time if you proactively find ways to manage it and learn to overcome it.

In terms of medication -

Beta-blockers can put a stop to the physical side of anxiety and are safe to be used long term. They especially help with putting a complete stop to a racing heart during panic/anxiety attacks. Although it does little to stop the psychological aspect.
Anti-depressants like SSRis have been shown to help with anxiety/panic.

Should try and avoid using medication like benzodiazepines to control anxiety. They aren't suited for long term use, are addictive, you build a tolerance and can become a bigger problem than the anxiety itself.

Never self medicate and all medication should be advised/prescribed by a Doctor.

Although medication does/can help, it's always better to try get to the root cause of what's causing the anxiety. To do this there are various talking therapies you can try, most noticeably CBT/DBT.

Anxiety left untreated can get worse and usually will stay the same. Though if you tackle it head on can be a thing of the past.

Anxiety will generally lessen over time if you proactively find ways to manage it and learn to overcome it.

In terms of medication -

Beta-blockers can put a stop to the physical side of anxiety and are safe to be used long term. They especially help with putting a complete stop to a racing heart during panic/anxiety attacks. Although it does little to stop the psychological aspect.
Anti-depressants like SSRis have been shown to help with anxiety/panic.

Should try and avoid using medication like benzodiazepines to control anxiety. They aren't suited for long term use, are addictive, you build a tolerance and can become a bigger problem than the anxiety itself.

Never self medicate and all medication should be advised/prescribed by a Doctor.

Although medication does/can help, it's always better to try get to the root cause of what's causing the anxiety. To do this there are various talking therapies you can try, most noticeably CBT/DBT.

Anxiety left untreated can get worse and usually will stay the same. Though if you tackle it head on can be a thing of the past.
exactly. I do believe that ssris/snris can be helpful long term for there not something like a benzo where they completely dull your anxiety to a point where you can't get to the core and work on it. however the most effective way like you mentioned really is to deal with it head on and find whats causing it and get out of your comfort zone and really just true talk therapy and self introspection. MOST meds for MOST people (again everyones dif) in my opinion only are a temporary fix.

any advise would be appreciated I have today been diagnosed with GAD (general anxiety disorder) and panic disorder what medication did you find best?

Basically mate you have a bucket load of options, worst bit is that finding "your solution" tends to be very personal. Take all of this with a grain of salt, I'm not a doctor.

As to time being a healer - meh, I have had anxiety all my life and i've found it can get worse over time in some circumstances - if you're prone to it you're in it for the long haul and accepting that is hard but it also helps a great deal. Another important lesson I figured out is that panic and anxiety are different things - they are intertwined but they are different, and stuff that works on your panic may be additional to stuff that works on your anxiety.

Don't discount meditation and therapy. They take more effort than popping pills but are rewarding.

In terms of vitamins try taking Vitamin D and Magnesium Chelate - they are more about setting a baseline over the long term than any quick fix though.

In terms of something that can help you relax but is quite mild without much in the way of rebound you have mild sedatives like Valerian and Chamomile, Passion Flower, Lemon Balm, Gotu Kola etc, and for me Licorice Root tea was a favourite for taking me to a nice chilled space. I have run out of it, but will likely get more.

Medications wise, docs will likely try you on an SSRI or SNRI - I don't recommend this personally unless you've tried other means first, short term use of SSRIs is probably OK, my GF used them short term without any ill effects, but long term use they are incredibly difficult to come off. Besides, there is also the rollercoaster of which particular SSRI works for you and getting on the drug (the settling in period) is not pleasant either.

Don't discount older drugs - I found amitryptaline worked well for me but as it wasn't prescribed to me I've never plucked up the courage to just ask for it. Because what do I say to my doc - I took this before without a prescription and it worked?

Some anti-histamines are nice for anxiety and getting to sleep, I found Chlorphenamine to be nice.

As others have said, Beta Blockers work well for acute panic. They are not something I would take every day, but instead just pop one if I were having a panic attack and knowing they are there is a great re-assurance that keeps panic from surfacing. Valium can work in a similar way if you have the self discipline - used only for emergencies when you're freaking out.

I don't recommend potentially addictive stuff unless you know you have very strong discipline - things like benzos, phenibut, baclofen, pregabalin and so on. Long term use of any of those is unlikely to make you any better anyway and might well make you worse.

So you have a ton of options at least, that is the positive thing.

Ya know when i was sober i bought a bottle of 5 htp and it actually made a huge difference.
I stopped waking up every morning pist off that i was awake and therfore alive .
It really helped.

Recreational drugs have damaged me, almost without exception. Even with medication, my life is quite hard these days. Do your best to not use drugs for recreation, it's a game of chance and the odds are stacked against you. Exercise and worldly ahcievement have probably been the best for me, but my illness is more of depression than anxiety proper.

You'll need to find a psychologist who can help teach you how to manage your anxiety. You can't just expect it to get better on it's own. Remember, medications are just bandaids... the longer you leave them on... the more it'll hurt when you have to yank them off.