• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pets MEGA Cats VS Dogs - POLL!

The Big Question - Cat v's Dog

• Total voters
You should absolutely try to get money out of those people. People who don't control their dogs need to have some punishment.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of legal solutions (and possibly getting a nice payout), then AT THE VERY LEAST call animal control and have that dog put down. There is a no reason a dog that has bitten 2 people should still be alive.

For reference, I was bitten by 2 different pit bulls, and one of the biggest regrets of my life is not killing those dogs right then. And then, after that, not calling Animal Control and having those dogs put down. It's not the dog's fault, but that's not really a relevant point. A dog is property, and a vicious dog needs to be taken away the same way a violent felon loses their gun rights.

I'm sorry to hear you were bitten by the same dog! I unfortunately told my boss last night that I didn't know what to do, she called animal control and told her we didn't want to do anything, but I talked with her a little earlier. At first she said there was nothing we can do now. But after explaining to her what I wanted to do she said animal control will be contacting them. I have no idea what that means but I'm hoping they either take the dog away or put it down. At first I didn't know if I should sue for money or what, but I'm wondering how much you can get from that? And maybe just maybe it will make them realize there wrong doings.

The people need to control their dog.
That sounds really traumatic, and you shouldn't have to put up with being attacked by animals as you make a living.

The dog needs to be restrained, or kept inside or behind a fence. It's a danger to public safety to have an aggressive dog getting loose - if it attacked an elderly person or a child it could kill them.

The people should not have blamed you - it is their responsibility to control their dog.

I don't know what sort of regulations there are where you live, or what authorities there are to have jurisdictiction over things like dogs - but if someone has an aggressive dog, it is the owner's responsibility to keep it under control, and make sure it doesn't hurt people.
If i were you, i would follow it up with your manager. They have a duty of care for your safety, and you know that those people aren't takng proper precautions to stop their dog biting people.

I have no idea what the right action to take is, but i think you should definitely discuss it with your manager.
Not just for your sake, but for other people, and the animal itself.
If it isn't being cared for properly, is randomly attacking people, it needs some boundaries or a new home...

Having dangerous aggressive dogs around, attacking people, is not cool.

If you can alert relevant authorities, you may be able to prevent an even worse disaster from taking place - and maintaining your own safety as well.

I agree! The dog didn't have a leash, or collar that I could see. They have 0 fences and 2 signs saying "beware of dog" but everyone has those signs. I forgot to mention that I live in PA and here is what I found as far as dog bite laws in PA
http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/personal-injury/dog-bite-laws-liability-pennsylvania.html
The dog was deffanantly unprovoked as he was a good 50 or more feet away.
I have talked to her a little bit. I will see her tomorrow night and be able to discuss this in person with her. I have no clue what the right answer is but I don't want this dog to attack me or anyone else ever again! Especially if it would be an elderly person or younger child.

You need to speak to a lawyer, not just your manager. Don't sign or agree to anything until you speak to a lawyer.

You should consider emotional and punitive damages. Emotional covers the fear you now have over doing your job. If it's been an intrusive thought since then it's arguably minor PTSD (especially as you were bitten twice). This is not a sign of weakness, it's a normal stress response to being attacked in the course of doing your job. Any therapy you need or later treatment should be covered by that dog's owners. Punitive is the court's punishment for these people allowing this to happen to you and your co-worker, to remind them they've done something wrong and to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I would look closer at why you keep getting attacked by dogs.

What are you doing to cause this?

I have been around dogs my whole life and the few times I was bitten it was my fault.

In NYS the dog can bite someone once without the owner being held liable. That is why most dogs are put down after the first recorded bite, because the next time owner is SOL

This clearly crosses into legal discussion. There is enough theoretical ideas here for OP to do their thing. Closed.

You were right the first time.

Okay, I concede that it isn't the only reason, but I hope this detail won't derail the discussion. And yes, I typo'd an unnecessary apostrophe in the word "cats". I don't think this makes me a stupid person or invalidates my post...there's no need to be snarky.

No, the use of apostrophe + s was 100% correct in the sentence. "Cats" with no apostrophe only makes it plural. The apostrophe + s shows possession.

"The catnip was eaten by the cats."
"Always hide the cat's catnip."

Get it now? So don't go around correcting people with wrong answers.

haha this is a very old thread! :)

following a verb, the apostrophe is incorrect. cat's nip makes me think of kitty nipples.
...yuck.

but you don't say "giving your cat's nip" - it's "giving your cats nip".
the correction was correct.

OT - my kitty hates catnip. she sniffs it if i put it in front of her, but when she's had enough of it, she seems kinda freaked out by it.
so i personally feel bad putting it in front of my cat, because she doesn't seek it out, or seem to want it. doesn't look like she's having a good time. if she liked it, i'd happily give it to her, but she just doesn't so i respect that and don't buy it.

All talk of grammatical correctness aside, I do tend to find it pointless/condescending to correct a person's typo rather than address the question (not saying you were doing this spacejunk).

Some cats like catnip, and some don't. Actually I think most of them like it, but some have really intense reactions. We had a cat while I was growing up, when we'd put catnip out she'd go get it voluntarily, but then she'd flip out and get really weird. But she seemed to like it. My cats now both like it, they just get kind of fiesty but they like it when I give it to them, it's definitely their choice. I rarely do it but occasionally I do because I know I like to get high, and I know they do too.

On a related note, I do definitely have a problem with people who blow weed smoke in their pets' faces. I have a friend, who, in high school, would think it was hilarious to force smoke into his family dog's face. The dog would get scared and act weird, and he thought it was hilarious. It always really bothered me. I never blow smoke at my cats, but one of my cats will sit with me/my friends when we smoke, basically she gets in the circle and when the smoke drifts to her she smells it deep and seems to enjoy herself. My other cat bolts as soon as weed smoke drifts to him.

Nope! My kitty loves catnip, but I only hook him up a few times a year.

xorkoth said:
All talk of grammatical correctness aside, I do tend to find it pointless/condescending to correct a person's typo rather than address the question (not saying you were doing this spacejunk).

i was correcting a correction of a correction (just to make that clear) ;)

I remember when we were sixteen we bad a party and I was in charge of the buckets in the kitchen. It was Petty hazy with hash smoke and the door was shut, when somebody noticed my friends cat was in the kitchen. We kind of joked that it would probably end up as baked as we were, and let it out the door. Ten minutes later everybody was sitting stoned out of their heads in the living room, when somebody pointed out the cat was clearly stoned out of its mind, sitting slouched head first over two steps on the stairs and staring off into nothing. It sat like that for hours. Seemed relatively okay though.

IIRC my cousin gave his cat an MDMA pill, or part of one. I can't remember the exact details but his friends took the cat away from him and it was one of many events which led to him becoming estranged from his friends. For the record, the kids a total tool and no friend of mine, despite his many repeated attempts (and requests, which is weird), to be so.

My Mum grows catnip in her front garden. Most of the local cats pop round for a bump and a nibble usually once a day or so. Looks like they're pretty good at handling the addiction/moderation thing ;)

ha! it's actually quite a nice herb. catnip used to grow in the garden of house i lived in once and i used to pick it and put it in spliffs from time to time.
i never saw any cats there. when i grew it in pots after i got my kitty, she never used to seek it out. it's like how some people don't like weed or something.

Apparently about 1/3 of cats don't experience any effect from catnip, due to genetic variations. All our cats have, but some much moreso than others.

Also it was quite common in the past for humans to smoke it for its relaxant properties. What does it feel like?

yeah, my old cat didn't respond to catnip at all.

smoking it had no discernible effect, it just has flowers that reminded me vaguely of cannabis buds, sort of a nice smell - kinda blends in nicely with weed, not too strong or harsh, so i dried some out and rolled it in spliffs to bulk them out a bit..
i hated tobacco back then, and i rarely roll with it now, but i was living in fremantle right by the beach, so i used to like walking down there at night and smoking a joint. i worked in a herb shop at the time that sold catnip and a whole lot of other herbs and smoking mixes, so i figured i'd smoke the fresh homegrown stuff instead

Interesting. Did a little Google - seems quite a few peeps have tried it, both as tea and smokes, to varying degrees of success. Might consider it for a little sleep brew at some point.

Am I right in thinking it's just cat mint? If so, I used to have it in my garden. Never noticed any cats lurking about acting all shady or anything though.

Doesn't mint have some kind of mild GABA action or something?

I believe catmint and catnip are used interchangeably. My Mum calls it catmint, but what she has is catnip.

Various threads on other forums - ahem - describe a number of relaxing and mind-altering properties from amounts of 10g-35g, though it seems careful vaping and tea may be more effective in preserving the volatiles.

interesting. i just thought it was inactive. i've got a sixth sense for sniffing out drugs.

This is a very old thread and seeing all the old names makes me very nostalgic.

On topic: I grow the plant. Some cats come from who knows how far following the scent. My own cat says, "meh" and completely ignores the living nip but likes to roll and get crazy with the dry stuff. I have never seen a cat have an adverse reaction--either they love it and it makes them playful or they don't even react at all. I had one big dumb siamese male that used to splay his paws out, the better to horde it, and simply sit there holding it down and purring his head off.:)

Don't worry about novels, I love a read. Yours was welcomingly informative, thank you so much.

As an aside, I give my 2 yo cat the nip but I've not given the baby any yet. He's only just over 2 months old. He's still wrapping his head around his own paws. Afink I'll wait a bit. He's cute but a little too young.