• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Family Business: brother is selling Mary J to customers and co workers.. thoughts?

J

Jordan>LeBron

My father has been in the Seafood/Frozen food distribution business in NY/NJ for over 40 years. He started out with nothing and has built quite a business over the years. Me , my brother and my sister have been heavily involved for about 15 years. So about a year ago my brother got involved with Mary J and started hooking up friends...all good. I have recently learned that he is now selling to atleast one guy who drives one of our trucks, a guy who drives a truck for a vendor of ours and atleast 2 of our seafood customers. I have approached him to tell him that it's one thing to keep it amongst friends but it's another story when you are selling weed to customers/drivers through a business that technically isn't his and he didn't seem to care. My father is very anti drug and this business is his baby. He has worked very hard and he has a good, clean reputation. I don't want to be a rat but my brother has gone to far by involving the business and my fathers name. If my father ever found out he was doing this though his business he would be very very upset. I want this to stop but he doesn't care what I have to say. Like I said, I don't want to be a rat but I'm not sure how much longer I can stand back and watch this. Are my concerns valid?

Yes your concerns are extremely valid.

You should tell your father about how your brother is selling herb and possibly other drugs to a driver for you, a vendor, and two customers, and yes it has to stop as if he gets caught by the police or one of the customers gets arrested and becomes a rat it could literally destroy the business, and you and your family could wind up in prison or jail. The police would throw in all sort of other charges on top of just dealing/possession/distribution as multiple people are involved, and I have seen police throw in charges of someone of creating and using a criminal network to sell drugs since the person would call on the phone/text/email, and meet the people who bought herb and other drugs.

No this is not a far fetched charge. I have literally seen this happen many times with friends and acquaintances who are or were into selling drugs.

Seriously, tell you dad as he should know this, and your brother is not going to stop unless your dad says something, as it's that serious.

Last edited:
That would be far fetched charge and to involve people who have nothing to do with it, the police do messed up things tho, guess anything is possible, but you would surely beat those charges

But I would approach your brother one last time before doing anything drastic...

I think wrongguy is right.

I would confront your brother. Send him email containing the post you wrote earlier: It contains very valid arguments. Add an ultimation like: if I ever find you dealing to dads customers after this date, I'll inform dad.

Hope it works out,

Vazkor

Do what you have to do to make your idiot brother stop. If a driver crashes one of your trucks and is facing a DUI and possibly other charges and was stoned off weed your brother sold him, guess who he's going rat on?
And your father and his insurance will be the deep pockets that whoever can will sue (the driver, the family, the guy who's car got rear-ended).
Honestly, it would probably be better if your brother got fired. Dealing is one thing. Dealing at work is another thing. Dealing at a family business to coworkers and customers is just selfish and stupid.

Your brother needs to grow up and see that this threatens a business which is all-important to your Dad. He probably has rationalized it to the point where he believes there is nothing threatening so what's the harm?-- but that is beside the point. Your father built the business and all of his offspring are benefiting by being employed there. It's his business and his rules as long as he is alive and this jeopardizes all of you. Tell him to move to a state where it is legal and get involved there in a business venture--that way he can do what he wants without risking his relationship with his Dad and the family business.

Thanks for the replies...it's a bad situation because

A. I don't want to be a rat although I understand that isn't something I should worry about now because this is how I make my living. As someone mentioned, this business has enabled me to take very good care of my family.

B. It would start WW3 and would likely be the end of our relationship (it's already rocky because of this and various things).

C. I don't have the greatest past either. nothing involves work but I'm sure things would be said and it would get messy. Things I was hoping my family would never know but it's in the past.

It just sucks all around because it will destroy my brothers relationship with me and my father.
he won't give this up unless I tell the boss about it because my brother is terrible with money. He is always broke (he shouldn't be) and now that he has a few extra dollars in his pocket he acts totally different. The business is secondary these days.

Im in ca.
Weed really isnt a big deal here.
I think its insane to consider ratting your brother out. Over a little weed, cmon.
You are just asuming the guy is smoking and driving? I mean maybe its his personal for home.
Who cares.
Its not like hes using your company trucks to transport 100 lbs of weed across the country.
Maybe u are overreacting a little.
And maybe your brother should keep it on the down low since you are thinking of starting a huge ugly scene over it.
Does he not think you are serious?
Sorry... I just dont think its a big deal.

No one is asking him to "rat his brother out". People are advising him to tell his brother not to jeopardize his father's business nor his own relationship with his Dad. He wants to take a legal risk with a business in a state where weed is not legal (and selling it using company trucks is definitely a big deal)? Then he needs to start his own business where all the risk is his own. It is completely unfair to the rest of the family. I also live in CA and I am a pot user. I campaigned heavily three times over my lifetime so far to finally see it legalized this last time. My feelings about weed however are pretty irrelevant in this situation.

Im in ca.
Weed really isnt a big deal here.
I think its insane to consider ratting your brother out. Over a little weed, cmon.
You are just asuming the guy is smoking and driving? I mean maybe its his personal for home.
Who cares.
Its not like hes using your company trucks to transport 100 lbs of weed across the country.
Maybe u are overreacting a little.
And maybe your brother should keep it on the down low since you are thinking of starting a huge ugly scene over it.
Does he not think you are serious?
Sorry... I just dont think its a big deal.

Thats why it's a weird situation...it's my brother. I'm probably not going to take this any further but I wanted some opinions on this. Weed is not the problem but the way he is involving customers, drivers and vendors is the issue. I could care less what he does on his own time outside of work. This business was started over 40 years ago by my father and I just think it's a risk of ruining his reputation if something happened. When I say he is dealing with customers I don't mean the owners of these businesses but the workers at these businesses.

my brother just told me a story the other day that annoys me even more. Basically a worker at a seafood store we deliver to handed him something that wasn't weed (at the store). So what happens if the owner of a store sees something? What good can come out of that? This stuff isn't taking place outside of work.

SS30,
Usually I would just leave this but it's too important and I've seen it happen. In California.

1) It's not a big deal until it's a really big deal. Check out property seizure laws for drug busts. All it's going to take is one event: a person (your brother, ANY customer of his who will flip) getting pulled over or catching a charge for something completely unrelated "volunteering" information, or someone seeing a shady transaction and reporting it and it's over.
2) herbavore is very wise and has posted. Twice. Read those posts again. :)
No one is saying rat your brother out to the cops. They're saying your brother will bring heat or worse, lawyers, if you don't do something.
Doing something now seems like a big deal. It won't if you watch the company and livelihood that your father built up to provide for his family get dismantled.
I'm guessing that would put more of a strain on family relations?!?

Sorry your brother is making you feel like this...
I know it must be hard.
Ya know.... Money can go to a persons head. Especially when your dealing. You can get so caught up in everything , that you think your invinsible.
If hes not too bright then he will learn a few hard lessons.
You are right... What if the owner sees, and hey what if that owner is super dick.
I said maybe you were overeacting.
Follow your instincts .

SS30,
Usually I would just leave this but it's too important and I've seen it happen. In California.

1) It's not a big deal until it's a really big deal. Check out property seizure laws for drug busts. All it's going to take is one event: a person (your brother, ANY customer of his who will flip) getting pulled over or catching a charge for something completely unrelated "volunteering" information, or someone seeing a shady transaction and reporting it and it's over.
2) herbavore is very wise and has posted. Twice. Read those posts again. :)
No one is saying rat your brother out to the cops. They're saying your brother will bring heat or worse, lawyers, if you don't do something.
Doing something now seems like a big deal. It won't if you watch the company and livelihood that your father built up to provide for his family get dismantled.
I'm guessing that would put more of a strain on family relations?!?

You are absolutely right but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Me and my brother were close until this all started a year ago. He knows I don't approve but he doesn't seem to care. He is the type that never had money but always made a decent living. this has completely gone to his head though and he isn't being smart about it. He acts differently , doesn't care about work as much, etc. I don't want it to seem like I'm hating on him. I don't give a damn what he does outside of work but what he is doing is a big problem and it isn't getting better. I know you guys don't mean rat him out to the cops and obviously that was never an option. It just seems weird both of us are in our 40s and I'm running to the old man. I know this could be soooo much worse if things went south and I'm sure the boss would be very disappointed if he knew I knew something and didn't say anything. I was just hoping he would listen to me on his own without involving family. I appreciate all the opinions but I'm going to figure something out and quit bitching about it here. It just seemed like a good place to talk about it.

Sorry your brother is making you feel like this...
I know it must be hard.
Ya know.... Money can go to a persons head. Especially when your dealing. You can get so caught up in everything , that you think your invinsible.
If hes not too bright then he will learn a few hard lessons.
You are right... What if the owner sees, and hey what if that owner is super dick.
I said maybe you were overeacting.
Follow your instincts .

He is getting caught up and he is making mistakes because he isn't very bright when it comes to this. I understand how someone could think I'm over reacting but I have to look at the big picture because this could cause a lot of problems. My gut tells me I have to speak up but I doubt I will. I guess I will keep asking him to stop and hope he listens. Thanks guys!!

Hey ScoobySnax,
We all wish you well. Please follow up or just say "I'm venting" and we'll just check read, okay? :)
Take care!
Best, CD