• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

diabetes and surgery

gabs123

Greenlighter
If you are diabetic, do you manage your diabetes any differently leading up to surgery? If you do, how so? Do you notice any effects the surgery has on you post-op that you feel someone without diabetes would not experience? What are common questions you have before surgery as a diabetic? Do ask your doctor these questions, or do you typically turn to forums or other online resources for guidance?

I'm not a diabetic but I may be able to answer some of your questions.

The may thing diabetics have to be concerned with in regards to surgery is infection and blood clotting. Older diabetics tend to have blood flow problems to the arms and feet, as well as neuropathy, and this can mean slower healing, and more of a chance of blood clotting.

If the blood sugar is not managed well in the lead up to surgery, then there is a higher risk of infection because there will be more glucose in the blood for organisms to feed off of.

Everyone usually has to fast prior to surgery if they're going under general anesthesia. For diabetics this will mean managing blood sugar and insulin intake differently, which you may want to ask your doctor about.

Great, so I have more crap to worry about.
Haven't had surgery yet, OP, so I can't help you, just wanted to bitch. And if anyone wants to explain how I can lose twenty pounds and have my A1C go up a whole point, I'd love to hear it.