⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Shale

Bluelighter
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Movie Blurb by Shale
May 31, 2017

This movie, which was on my to-see list opened on May 12 but I had other things going on and then I read that it was not so great a movie so I wrote it off. However, today I decided to use an old free pass I had so went to the Regal Cinema on SoBe to see this flick. I am glad I did.

Despite the aggregate reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes giving it only a 28% Fresh and poor box-office receipts making it an official bomb, 76% of audiences liked it, which makes me think that the critics might be wrong in their overthot assessment. And one thing that the favorable reviewers seemed to agree on - it was entertaining.

It is an action, swashbuckler fantasy, loosely based on the King Arthur legend but with unbelievable CGI . This movie is as close to the legendary story of King Arthur as the movie 300 is to the legendary King Leonidas of Sparta. It is all about Mages interfering in the politics of royalty with the most over the top conjurings.

Mammoth War Elefants
ka-tp-0010.jpg

While Mordred and Merlin are involved as opposing sorcerers, even Uther Pendragon, (Eric Bana) king of the Britons and Arthur's father possesses a mystical power, as well as his evil and ambitious brother Vortigern (Jude Law).

Vortigern the Poser King
king-arthur-legend-of-the-sword_1259892.png

Eventually, this mystical power will come out in the deposed heir to the throne, Arthur (Charlie Hunnam) when he pulls the sword Excalibur from the stone. See, there are parts of the old legend that are stuck in this movie to keep us grounded in the tale amongst all the screen filling visuals. There is even a Lady of the Lake who returns the sword to Arthur when he throws it away.

Arthur Draws Excalibur from Stone
charlie-hunnam-king-arthur-legend-of-the-sword-01-600x350.jpg

There is a revolution to take back the power from the poser king Vortigern with some of Uther Pendragon's soldiers led by Sir Bedivere (Djimon Hounsou) and Sir William (Aidan Gillen) a former Knight of Uther. There is also mystical help to the resistance from a Mage, (Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey)

Resistance Siege of Castle
the-king-arthur-legend-of-the-sword-final-trailer-teases-film-s-epic-battle-sequences.jpg

I am now glad that I got around to watching this movie in theater. I liked the fast pacing and contemporary dialogue (Tho we don't know for sure that "fuck" was not a word in King Arthur's time). Even some of the costuming looked more modern than the period clothing but It is all action fantasy, so enjoy it. I did.

Arthur Wielding Excalibur
king-arthur-legend-of-the-sword-8.jpg

Charlie Hunnam and Eric Bana are such fine fine fine actors!