Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Diazepam and Temazapam and SSRI in Prison

GADGuy33

Greenlighter
Hello

SWIM was Just wondering if anyone knows, If Someone has Generalized anxiety disorder/Panic Disorder and an adjustment disorder and has been regularly prescribed Valium and Temazapam to treat their disorders by there GP along with SSRI's . If they were required to do a stint in jail in an australian jail as a first time offender would these medications continue to be prescribed especially with a long history of Medical proof and reports from the treating Doctors/psychologists/psychiatrists .

Thanks

Last edited:
I have no idea, what the aswer to this question is, but it would be incredibly negligent of authorities to force a person to discontinue prescribed benzodiazepines as soon as they are incarcerated, as benzo withdrawals can be harmful, even fatal.

I'm sure someone will be able to give you a better answer, but i would hope our prison system would be more humane in this sense than (parts of?) the United States seem to be in this regard.

Just a tip - we don't use SWIM or any other 3rd person ways of referring to ourselves here.
Just say "me" or "i" or whatever.

Also - welcome to bluelight.

I have no idea, what the aswer to this question is, but it would be incredibly negligent of authorities to force a person to discontinue prescribed benzodiazepines as soon as they are incarcerated, as benzo withdrawals can be harmful, even fatal.

I'm sure someone will be able to give you a better answer, but i would hope our prison system would be more humane in this sense than (parts of?) the United States seem to be in this regard.

Just a tip - we don't use SWIM or any other 3rd person ways of referring to ourselves here.
Just say "me" or "i" or whatever.

Also - welcome to bluelight.

Thanks spacejunk for your reply. New to the forum but have found alot of useful information from this site. Hopefully someone can answer my question as even my GP didn't know about the benzo side of things but he was pretty sure medications that treat disorders like ADHD are usually not prescribed. I'm more concerned about this than prison itself to be honest as my Anxiety is out of control with life in General. Let alone in a Prison environment.

Cheers Mate

Youre best off visiting your gp and getting a letter of your requirements to pass on to the prison doctors just like any other patient transfer from doctor to doctor.

I have got friends who continued meds in prison. It very much helps to have your lawyer and doctor do as much as possible prior to ensure your medication continues. There is bureaucracy involved so there could be a delay when going in anyway.

Youll probably just have to be doled out dose at a time in front of staff.

The Govt is currently axing the prisons policy department and combining it with general healthcare policy so in the next couple of years there is going to be a lot of confusion as to what the official policy is with prisoners. But as it stands you should be ok with benzos at a standard dose for GAD