• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Elevated / irregular heartbeat due to a combination of supplements

High_Anglican

Greenlighter
Hey guys, I have occasionally been experiencing an elevated and irregular heart rate, probably due to a combination of supplements.

My problem is that there's such a long line of suspects that it is difficult to determine the guilty party - or whether it is one specific supplement or an interaction between 2 or more.

Here is what I take everyday:

1. Vitamin B-complex
2. Vitamin E (400 IU)
3. Guarana (one 900 MG tablet 1-2 times daily)
4. Rhodiola Extract (one 340 MG tablet 1-2 times daily)
5. D-Phenylalanine (one 500 MG tables 1-3 times daily)
6. Gotu Kola (one 495 MG capsule 1-3 times daily)
7. Combination of vitamin A (10,000 IU) and vitamin D (400 IU)

Aside from my daily stack, I occasionally smoke cannabis (I'm not sure whether it's Indica or Sativa) and that also causes elevated / irregular heartbeat. And I'm not sure if it's interacting with anything.

I take #1 to stabilize my energy levels.
I take #2 for blood pressure.
I take #3 for energy and pain relief.
I take #4 for generally well being.
I take #5 for pain relief.
I take #6 because it has some mild psychoactive effects (similar to THC).
I take #7 because I have a vitamin D deficiency.

Is there anything I should add to / remove from my daily stack? Can someone help me identity a solution to this problem?

Assuming your heart issue is related to supplements - and it may not be - I would strongly suspect guarana and gotu kola.

Guarana is a stimulant. Gotu kola lowers blood pressure, and if it goes too low heart rate would increase.

As a side note, that's a lot of vitamin A to be taking daily, especially if you're also getting it from the food you eat.

That is a lot of supplements. I have experienced a similar thing when I was taking a variety of supplements including a couple multi vitamins. I actually already have an irregular heart beat and heart murmur naturally but my daily vitamin intake was making it worse. To the point I could clearly feel it. I went to half my normal intake and it went back to normal (normal for me). You may try decreasing the doses or eliminating a couple from your daily cocktail. You could mix and match and slowly determine the culprit or the culprit mix. Have you researched any from your list to see if there is any literature/posted experiences on how they may interact with each other?

That is a lot of supplements. I have experienced a similar thing when I was taking a variety of supplements including a couple multi vitamins. I actually already have an irregular heart beat and heart murmur naturally but my daily vitamin intake was making it worse. To the point I could clearly feel it. I went to half my normal intake and it went back to normal (normal for me). You may try decreasing the doses or eliminating a couple from your daily cocktail. You could mix and match and slowly determine the culprit or the culprit mix. Have you researched any from your list to see if there is any literature/posted experiences on how they may interact with each other?

Yes, I have done my homework. But I did not find anything about increased / irregular heart beat in connection with any of my supplements. I find it strange that lower blood pressure would result in elevated heart rate.

Ya that is certainly odd. Assuming nothing else in your life has changed ie stress, lifestyle, physical activity, etc, then aside from playing the process of elimination game you may wanna see a Dr if it continues. It may not have anything to do with anything your putting into your body at all. Many things can cause a change in heart rate. I've been in and out of so many different clinics over the past 20 years and they didn't discover my murmur until 7-8 years ago and didn't notice my irregular heart beat until like 3 years ago. And likely it's because they have developed slowly over time. Idk. Sorry I can't be of more help. Any new news from this I'd be very interested to hear about so report back if you can. Good luck