• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

the best self help audio books?

Markomarkh

Bluelighter
what are your fave self help books that really help change your life for the better? for me Alan Carrs quit smoking for good really was a good audio book and helped me quit a 15 a day habit! been smoke free for 3 years now! I also listened to tolles power of now but don't fully understand it. what books help you?

I was a big fan of "A Course in Miracles" on audiobook. It's some of the most transcendent, thought provoking, causally impacting and expansive material I've ever encountered.

https://www.acim.org/Digital_Editions/Audiobooks.html

It isn't for everyone. Ultimately I think there is better stuff out there for learning, but it is a solid foundation for correcting perception, accessing forgiveness and moving in alignment with creation. I've listened to it almost 4 times. Don't be discouraged by how impenetrable it seems. There are aspects of the whole picture that are missing as well in this material so I wouldn't consider it complete. The material opens up for the listener eventually and it is remarkable when it does.

I am not going to recommend any of them. I have listened to some and none of them has had a permanent impact in my life. I think this is due to a couple of things.
First, it is not enough to listen to something, the actual changes are made when you change your behaviour or work carefully in the way you think. Aka very hard work.
Second, the stuff inside self-help books in the best of cases work for whoever wrote them. We are all very different and have completely different needs and way to obtain them.

To obtain trusting change you have to get to know yourself. Psychotherapy is the most obvious path and sometimes the only one. Journaling is very good too, most effective in my experience, but much more time-consuming. Studying personality types like Enneagram or Myers-Briggs can be enlightening in getting to know yourself and others.

Good to note too that you can convert any pdf into voice with apps like @Voice. I myself got completely used to the computer voice and seems to me the best tool ever.

Edit. Today I heard a famous psychologist mention that all what psychotherapy is about is finding out what your fears are and help you to learn to confront them.

Last edited:
"You are not your brain" by Jeffrey Schwarzt helped me overcome more than 80% of my OCD (took 2-3 years of constant practicing) and also helped with Anxiety and Depression. Thanks to the method I apply daily I have also much less of a problem with unwanted, intrusive thoughts. 1.5 years of therapy helped my psychological problems way less than buying und using this book on a regular basis.

Last edited:
this has helped me enormously along the way: the four agreements

51MfVDOlEkL._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

yes, it's a 'self help' book but it's really very simple.

alasdair