• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Tulpas: Real, or fake?

Jackplays

Bluelighter
For those who don't know, Tulpas are beings that are created within your own mind, and have been "created" (supposedly) by Tibetan monks for centuries. They can speak to you and interact with you, and with practice can do things such as take over your body (called switching). Supposedly you can also teach yourself to see your Tulpas. Do you think this sounds too outlandish? Do you think this could have basis in fact? To create one it's a relatively long process (think a few months, and about 200 hours of meditation) to even really begin to create a Tulpa. Is there anyone here who has a Tulpa? I would be very interested to hear about anyone who does have one, and what you guys think about this existing. It sounds very close to DID or Schizophrenia, but there are very distinct differences: For DID to be diagnosed, it must be inherently harmful, of which this is not. Secondly Schizophrenia is mostly hereditary, so it doesn't make sense you can give it to yourself with hours of meditation. Iv heard of people where their Tulpas have talked them out of suicide attempts and such. If you think Tulpas don't truly exist as a separate consciousness as their host, do you think it truly matters that they're imaginary, just so long as they seem real? I'm going to attempt to create a Tulpa (for science), and also want to see if I can advance progress quicker with things like lsd or dissociatives. Would you guys be interested in me documenting my attempt to create one?

it's helpful to map the Tibetan understanding to the contemporary language and use that. A lot of the Tibetan stuff is describing the exact same reality only stuff gets lost in translation. I suggest you look into more modern understandings of the various levels of reality and learn from those. That said, a lot of the stuff you encounter out there is incomplete or distorted, so approach with a healthy degree of skepticism and be inquisitive and you'll get the mapping correct. It's all about understanding the levels of reality and their interconnections.

The physical or etheric, astral or emotional bodies, mental (subconscious, reasoning, superconscious) and spiritual bodies.

Their interconnections are complex and require study. A lot of the accounts out there are incomplete. If you are earnest in your search for truth you'll find it however. You can alway muscle test the truth. This however requires study and experience. There are numerous pitfalls that give false answers. Hope that helps. Psychedelics can help open up the realities experientially but they are no substitute for sober study and contemplation.

it's helpful to map the Tibetan understanding to the contemporary language and use that. A lot of the Tibetan stuff is describing the exact same reality only stuff gets lost in translation. I suggest you look into more modern understandings of the various levels of reality and learn from those. That said, a lot of the stuff you encounter out there is incomplete or distorted, so approach with a healthy degree of skepticism and be inquisitive and you'll get the mapping correct. It's all about understanding the levels of reality and their interconnections.

The physical or etheric, astral or emotional bodies, mental (subconscious, reasoning, superconscious) and spiritual bodies.

Their interconnections are complex and require study. A lot of the accounts out there are incomplete. If you are earnest in your search for truth you'll find it however. You can alway muscle test the truth. This however requires study and experience. There are numerous pitfalls that give false answers. Hope that helps. Psychedelics can help open up the realities experientially but they are no substitute for sober study and contemplation.

I'm mostly talking about it in the sense of something that can be explained today, using what we know about the brain and consciousness. I don't buy into alot of these ideas that are more along the lines of "it works because spirituality, don't question it". Currently, I'm definitely leaning towards the somewhat more scientific approach, in that it's using something known as neuron scavenging on a whole new level (as in a mathematician can become a chemist easier than a poet, and a poet can become a musician easier than a mathematician, since many of the neurons used in creating poetry can be used to create music), where it's using parts of the brain used for basic thinking and using it for multiple consciousnesses at once. I'm really tired atm, so I probably read what you said entirely wrong and my reply probably makes no sense. I'm still definitely going to attempt to make a Tulpa, since it would be an extremely cool, and helpful to my wellbeing, thing, but if it turns out it's BS, I'll just have spent a few months meditating, which isn't that big a deal.

I think you ought to question your real motives for wanting to do something like this. That's the more important question and something you really want to have clarity on.

I think you ought to question your real motives for wanting to do something like this. That's the more important question and something you really want to have clarity on.

I already know that, it's a want for discovery and it would reduce my loneliness if it did work, tho I don't expect it to.

To me, this idea seems more like a mental device, rather than an actual creation of a separate being. Similarly to how people use ritual to enhance the ability to alter their internal reality, it seems like if you framed such a thing as creating a separate entity that was now responsible for facilitating some functions, rather than being fully conscious of performing those function, it could be useful. We have the ability to facilitate many dramatic changes in how we experience existence through force of will, since after all our brains are the filter through which we have subjective experience at all. It makes it easier to create purposeful changes if we use devices such as ritual or, I suppose, Tulpas.

So basically, if you make it real for yourself, then it's real to you. Which makes it real.

To me, this idea seems more like a mental device, rather than an actual creation of a separate being. Similarly to how people use ritual to enhance the ability to alter their internal reality, it seems like if you framed such a thing as creating a separate entity that was now responsible for facilitating some functions, rather than being fully conscious of performing those function, it could be useful. We have the ability to facilitate many dramatic changes in how we experience existence through force of will, since after all our brains are the filter through which we have subjective experience at all. It makes it easier to create purposeful changes if we use devices such as ritual or, I suppose, Tulpas.

So basically, if you make it real for yourself, then it's real to you. Which makes it real.
Yea, that's pretty much where I'm at on it. At that point, you need to ask whether it matters that it's not a fully conscious entity or something of your own creation, and I don't think it matters since it only needs to be real to you anyways.

This is basically how poltergeists are made... they are manifestations from strong psychics who are experiencing intense emotional disturbances. It manifests as a third party that is generated from the person's psychokinetic field.

Most of these phenomena are astral. It's the same stuff that ritual conjures, like imagining force fields and barriers. But the degree to which the form has an effect on the world and on the practitioner depends on a variety of factors. Not all magic is astral but the way that most people in the modern world tend to practice magic, is.

This is basically how poltergeists are made... they are manifestations from strong psychics who are experiencing intense emotional disturbances. It manifests as a third party that is generated from the person's psychokinetic field.

Most of these phenomena are astral. It's the same stuff that ritual conjures, like imagining force fields and barriers. But the degree to which the form has an effect on the world and on the practitioner depends on a variety of factors. Not all magic is astral but the way that most people in the modern world tend to practice magic, is.

I'm trying to avoid "magic" and "Astral phenomena" as much as I can, and the more I look into it and begin my attempt to create one the more I'm finding there are psychologists who acknowledge and provide some proof for this phenomenon. I don't believe that this is at all "magical" or "occult", I fully believe that there is a physiological explanation for this. Anyway, poltergeists and this are entirely different things, as poltergeists can effect the world around them, while unless you are practicing/using possession cannot.

Fun fact: while tulpas are not proven to be self-aware, or even real, although the people that have them certainly believe they are, the seeing tulpas thing isn't necessarily for tulpas, nor does it come from the tulpa community, although that is where it is most commonly used. It is called imposition, and it's basically practicing visualizing something until you can make your senses detect it, to a certain degree of realism. There are natural limits to how realistic it can be, because, you know, it's not actually physically there, but it IS possible. The tulpa version of it is basically just focusing on it until you visualize your tulpa's form with a degree of realism, and then give them control over the form. Of course, either you or the tulpa have to be consistently focusing on keeping it there, but eh. I don't have experience with tulpas, but I do have some (extremely minor) experience with imposition. It works. I just never bothered to take the time to get any good at it.

it must require a lot of dedication and concentration to develop a good connection to a tulpa.

i would find getting a better grasp on my dream world, and become aware in the dream and remember my dreams to be a more interesting avenue personally.

it doesn't seem there is many people engaging with imaginary friends that i've come across but maybe its because i haven't asked.

Fun fact: while tulpas are not proven to be self-aware, or even real, although the people that have them certainly believe they are, the seeing tulpas thing isn't necessarily for tulpas, nor does it come from the tulpa community, although that is where it is most commonly used. It is called imposition, and it's basically practicing visualizing something until you can make your senses detect it, to a certain degree of realism. There are natural limits to how realistic it can be, because, you know, it's not actually physically there, but it IS possible. The tulpa version of it is basically just focusing on it until you visualize your tulpa's form with a degree of realism, and then give them control over the form. Of course, either you or the tulpa have to be consistently focusing on keeping it there, but eh. I don't have experience with tulpas, but I do have some (extremely minor) experience with imposition. It works. I just never bothered to take the time to get any good at it.

Tibetans do magic all the time as part of their lineage practices. I've taken part in it. It's amazing and powerful. The word magic may make you uncomfortable but it's used everywhere.

We can easily toss out the word magic and call it something different if you want. But the net effect is still a congregation of focused energy that serves an intentional goal. Humans create thought forms all the time but not many people are doing it with focused intention, they just let their monkey minds wander.

Every mystic branch of religion has something like talpas in it. For instance in quabbalah there are egregores, which are beings formed from group consciousness, which have their own temporary will and independent form. The beings are knowledge holders or protectors.

What you describe sounds familiar but I don't quite understand. What are tulpas? Are you all talking about the ghostie guys who float around in the air after you study a Tibetan tanga? Not an ordinary tanga from a tourist shop but an ancient one that had been in a temple for hundreds of years. The images would be figures who look like those depicted in the tangas - like ancient gurus or demigods or bhoddisatvas - three dimensional, three eyes, animated, making hieratic gestures.

Tibetans do magic all the time as part of their lineage practices. I've taken part in it. It's amazing and powerful. The word magic may make you uncomfortable but it's used everywhere.

We can easily toss out the word magic and call it something different if you want. But the net effect is still a congregation of focused energy that serves an intentional goal. Humans create thought forms all the time but not many people are doing it with focused intention, they just let their monkey minds wander.

Every mystic branch of religion has something like talpas in it. For instance in quabbalah there are egregores, which are beings formed from group consciousness, which have their own temporary will and independent form. The beings are knowledge holders or protectors.

Thought forms are dangerous. That's what I believe. I've had some experience with some particularly nasty ones. Intentionally created no doubt . They dont actually have a consciousness . They are more like computer programs, who try and get you to think they are real and to talk to them. Any acknowledgment gives them power over you. Your thoughts can be very dangerous at this point,when you are in contact with this type of thing. Your tulpas or thought forms can affect you physically,make you see things that aren't there, they can do all sorts of things. Anyway...
Maybe people believe they can create good ones. Idk what the Tibetians did. I have no idea. I sure would not try to create one. Too much "garbage interference", I prefer that term over dark energy or evil spirits or just evil in general... You know all the "bad sh**", that will no doubt interfere.
OP idk if you are still reading this but you mentioned something about being lonely. If that is your motivation, then you might create something that feeds on your loneliness .
How bout just don't
To me, there is one path of truth and like... All these sub genres that branch out from it.
You don't need to spend all this time creating a tulpa. If you are lonely , look within. Why not try to access your higher self and spirit guides. Your higher self holds your connection to source. Which you may feel disconnected from, that's why you are lonely.
Ultimately we all have to search within ourselves. That's where all the answers are. That's where the true key to happiness lies.

Sounds like a conceptual visualization of moral ethical and universal values you can ask for guidance from.

I've been talking to my psyche because I've been broken down in rehab and I'm unraveling my mind and I ask myself questions or for clarification and then I get an answer back from myself