View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Do you need to freebase DPT to make a herbal infusion

DMTShroom1986

Bluelighter
Does anyone have any experience with DPT and herbal infusions? I have searched around but haven't found a definitive answer.

I have DPT HCL and some 10% CBD hemp that I would like to infuse to use in my vaporiser. I am assuming I can dissolve the HCL in acetone or 95% ethanol and then soak the herbs at a ration so I can dose accurately. After soak just evaporate the acetone or alcohol and be good to go.

is this a good idea or should I freebase first?

If you are planning on doing a crude alcohol extraction on the hemp you aren't going to get a very clean product afterwards. The end result is going to be a thick black tar and sure it'll have the CBD in it but it's gonna have a lot of other junk in it too.

If you are planning on doing a crude alcohol extraction on the hemp you aren't going to get a very clean product afterwards. The end result is going to be a thick black tar and sure it'll have the CBD in it but it's gonna have a lot of other junk in it too.

Sorry if I was unclear, I meant I wanted to effectively lace the hemp with dpt not extract oil from it. Sort of a DPT changa but using hemp instead of a maoi.

You need to freebase the DPT. Smoking DPT HCL though effective is nasty and wasteful as well as lacking in potency.

Take a gram of DPT HCL dissolve it in 40 ml of water in a narrow glass container. Make up some lye water that is extremely diluted. Slowly add the lye water drop by drop to the glass containing the DPT hcl water mix until you hit the correct PH which is higher then 7. Likely an 8-12. You will also need PH paper. After it is based pull with VM&P naphtha. Do this by adding 25 ml of naphtha to the glass container that should now hold maybe 50 ml of water or so. Roll the container and swirl it. The DPT base will migrate into the solvent. Maybe even lightly shake the container. Then let it sit for a good 60 min. The naphtha with the DPT base will float to the top of thee water. Decant with a glass turkey baster or glass dropper.

Evaporate the solvent onto your smoking mixture. For safety reasons if you are not familiar with working with sodium hydroxide you could use sodium carbonate created from heating baking soda in the oven at 250 or so for 50 min.

Last edited:
You need to freebase the DPT. Smoking DPT HCL though effective is nasty and wasteful as well as lacking in potency.

Take a gram of DPT HCL dissolve it in 40 ml of water in a narrow glass container. Make up some lye water that is extremely diluted. Slowly add the lye water drop by drop to the glass containing the DPT hcl water mix until you hit the correct PH which is higher then 7. Likely an 8-12. You will also need PH paper. After it is based pull with VM&P naphtha. Do this by adding 25 ml of naphtha to the glass container that should now hold maybe 50 ml of water or so. Roll the container and swirl it. The DPT base will migrate into the solvent. Maybe even lightly shake the container. Then let it sit for a good 60 min. The naphtha with the DPT base will float to the top of thee water. Decant with a glass turkey baster or glass dropper.

Evaporate the solvent onto your smoking mixture. For safety reasons if you are not familiar with working with sodium hydroxide you could use sodium carbonate created from heating baking soda in the oven at 250 or so for 50 min.

Thanks for the guide! Just a quick Q. What counts as "extremely diluted" for lye water? Could you provide a ratio or something more specific please? Also, how does using distilled water change the equation (if at all)? Also, any ideas for a good readily accessible "narrow glass container"? If you couldn't tell, I'm pretty new to all this, so help in this area is greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

Thanks for the guide, so it is how I thought and it will be best to freebase. I'll give it a try, do you think if I freebased using sodium carbonate could I then dissolve the freebase into ethanol and Add that to the herb and evap the alcohol. Trying to avoid using things like naphtha if I can. If it's needed I will.

Yes you could try to freebase the DPT using the old spoon and sodium carbonate method but is DPT freebase able to harden up enough to pick off with a penny. I would assume this style though would be wasteful. Like up wards of 30% loss compared to pulling with a solvent. I just recommended VM&P because that and say heptane is what is commonly used to pull DMT freebase from a based water solution like during an acid base extraction. No I can not give you an exact amount of lye to use. Try dissolving 5 grams of lye into 200 ml of water. Then add it drop by drop to the water/DPT HCL solution. So lye is cool and using everclear is cool and smoking DPT freebase is cool but using VM&P naptha is not cool. Interesting.

Yes you could try to freebase the DPT using the old spoon and sodium carbonate method but is DPT freebase able to harden up enough to pick off with a penny. I would assume this style though would be wasteful. Like up wards of 30% loss compared to pulling with a solvent. I just recommended VM&P because that and say heptane is what is commonly used to pull DMT freebase from a based water solution like during an acid base extraction. No I can not give you an exact amount of lye to use. Try dissolving 5 grams of lye into 200 ml of water. Then add it drop by drop to the water/DPT HCL solution. So lye is cool and using everclear is cool and smoking DPT freebase is cool but using VM&P naptha is not cool. Interesting.

Sorry it is more that Naptha isn't easy to get hold of where I am. I am very grateful for your help so far and will try to source some and use the more efficient method you recommended.

Edit: actually looking at it Naptha is just another name for lighter fluid. Would clear camp fuel do the same job?