• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question about naloxone/narcan?

isaaccain

Bluelighter
A while ago when I was on the pure codeine pills I had a drug and alcohol counsellor who said she was gonna get me some narcan and show me how to use it etc. etc. and some movie about how opiate use is bad anyway I see no reason to continue counselling. I went to three appointments and didn't get anywhere so I gave up. Anyway I want narcan just in case so how can I get it? Asking my doctor would be a bad idea because I get a ton of painkillers off him for my neck (I have whiplash). Also, I don't really like being addicted to opiates anymore so I want to taper because I tried just stopping and it's shit even with really mild physical withdrawals I've got it easy compared to 90% of the people reading this. Anyway if I say to my doctor 'I think I'm addicted to those painkillers you gave me, I get depressed after a few days of not taking any and I feel really tired all the time but I can't get to sleep' or some shit would he just cut me off or help me out with a taper? Like I know methadone would be off the table because it's so much more addictive than codeine in the first place so why bother but what I mean is idk 0.5mg morphine pills that I can taper with or 10mg codeine pills instead of 30mg ones?

we can't tell you how to trick you're doctor man, but i know you're not just trying to shop some more morph of him, but still.
your doctor would refer yo to a drug and counselling service for sure. but is that so bad? really?
our opinions can in no way replace trained medical advice. if you're genuinely scared you might OD then you've already faced the ugly side of addiction.

i managed to kick heroin several times using the rapid subutex taper. basically get yourself well with subs, however many mg's that may be (and btw, they're actually quite strong so be careful), then wean yourself down over a week or two. its not fun, but at the same time its not horrible. at best its kind of just like being 'off' for a few weeks.
fuck methadone that stuff is evil, as can be subs if you just replace your morph with them. they have a very long clearance time both (subs a bit less iirc), which is why they're great tools - but is also why its so hard to get offthem if you take them too much.

i can;t really say anything else other than i know how you feel, tell someone, there's nothing more isolating than addiction.

I've talked to friends about it but I really don't know what kind of professional I can tell. My psychiatrist only now trusts me enough after about 7 months to give me methylphenidate to help with my ADD. I've got anxiety and although it's nowhere near as bad as it was (In fact I'd say I'm normal now) I still get worried sometimes, like today loads of people are going camping sleeping on the beach and whatever but I didn't want to go because I didn't know how many people were there/the full setlist of people who are going and who's staying so I just didn't bother because I was nervous. A lot of the time I'm nervous but I just don't care but today was different because it had been about 18 hours since I was last on it. I don't want to trick my doctor I want him to help me but these people are judgemental, I know that from experience. In December I OD'd and had to be given promethazine (because my throat was closing up) and naloxone by IV and stay in overnight on saline. I couldn't even get 8/500s on prescription after that. I hate the medical staff. They'd rather you suffered than got help for pain/anxiety etc.

I ran out of the prescription early, I've been stealing my dads pills since then because I don't have the money for this shit. I'm trying to help myself with psychedelics for addiction suppression but I can't get anything for two weeks. I was gonna get some tramadol see how it went but something happened. I asked a friend in the end and she said it was x amount but it was too expensive.

I'm just scared that I'll go back to how things used to be if I admit anything. My parents didn't trust me at all, my mother treated me like shit and so did the doctors I saw every week to get weighed (anorexia).

I might be able to get some subutex tabs off the dark net. Where I live most people are treated with methadone or buprenorphine. I was thinking about fent patches but that was just to get high, I abandoned it when I realised how expensive they were and how I'd probably need two to get high. I'm really trying to leave opiates alone until I'm at least 18 but it's not working. My 15th birthday was three weeks ago and I've already been addicted twice. I just want to be happy and trip a few times a month but things aren't really coming together like I imagined.

really sorry to hear about your OD, and doctors/nurses/GPs can be some real hard-asses, i know (24 weeks in hospital following an OD and co-morbid brain damage) - but they, for the most part, just don't want to give you something that may effect you adversely e.g.: pain vs dependence. and yeah, some are just plain sadists, that's a given, but the majority just want to give you a decent quality of line (btw, i'm a non-medically affiliated heroin and benzo addict, for what it matters).

i was so scared about my parents reaction too, until i woke up from a 6 day medically-induced coma surrounded by them.

don't get that far. if your doctor's a prick, get a second opinion. i'm not sure where in the EU you're from but here in the UK i'm lucky that I have the NHS and can do that.
i found that drug counselling therapists were the answer. initially i was apprehensive, in fact, i just wanted to fucking run and try and OD again. but these people are there to save lives, and a lot of them have very personal associations with substance abuse (again, in my experience, ymmv).

subs from the darkweb are not a good path for a 15 year old to go down, its the right direction, but you must be medically supervised. subs can kill too.
you deserve to be happy, and you don't know it but i'd wager my left kidney your family care more than you know.
i'm not saying you have to do anything; i wish i could help more. but contact whatever drug service is in your area, specify if you have to that you that you won't present unless you will be totally anonymous to your family.

you're so young, i nearly died at 23 and that is far too you. your parents might not trust you, your doctor might be a cunt and you might be apprehensive, but reach out to someone. none of this is worth dying for - PM me if you need further help whenever you want - but you need someone in your life, anyone.

i really, really, from the bottom of my heart hope you ca get through this man. i did, and i fucked up way harder, just reach out please.

Alright I get it. I'll see my drug counsellor again but I just don't know what she would do for me. I might as well though, I don't have much else to help me. I got brain damage too when I stopped breathing, it's not so severe, I have attention problems and I talk slow and slur but other than that I'm still doing well in school and I guess that's what counts. We do have the NHS where I live even though I don't live in the UK. What scares me is that there's this girl who I tried to reach out to back when I was on my first addiction. I told her and she felt responsible for some reason so if she finds out I just don't want her to be upset again. What exactly would the counsellors reaction be though? I can't imagine anything good but at the same time I know she's not allowed to tell my parents so I'm not sure

ah right, inm the emerald isle right//

i assume this girl was your age? she was frightened and upset, 99% for you
addiction and/or overdosing on opiates at like 15? its really upsetting.
you obviously care about her and how hearing that news would upset her right?
you need to get some self-esteem ; you need to care for your own well-being as much as she does about yours.

your councilors won't react, they're simply there to hear. councillors will only reveal information to the relevant people if you say something like threats (harming others) or stuff to do with children.
its an anonymous space to let stuff out and change negative thinking, and i'm not 100% sure but i think that even though you're under 18 you're still a patient - your details are confidential. through them you can get access to all sorts of stuff and a legal prescription for opiate replacements.

you said you want off yh? two week sub reduction taper BUTits essential that you do it under medical supervision cause, and i'm not condecending to you man, you're young.
but 'under medical supervision' doesn't mean like being locked in a padded room, you just have to go pick up, your prescription everyday

theyll gradually reduce you down then give you some more meds to make the jump from like 0.1mg of subutex to opiate-free.

its a bit long and crappy, but it worked for me and i'm not gonna lie, i've relapsed like 4 times.

BUT you can get off. doesn't have to be forever, just take it a day at the time
and i'm gonna do it again in like a month.

You don't need a doctor to get narcan nowadays. When I was just released from a state correctional facility on the 9th of May, they gave away free narcan kits to those who agreed to watch the training video. Also, pharmacies like rite aid and CVS have narcan for free if you got insurance , or pay cash $60..in NYS atleast