• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Progressively worse panic attacks

watermelon14

Bluelighter
I've been having progressively worse and worse panic attacks lately. I've also been doing a lot of DXM lately. Could this be related? I've read before that psychedelic/hallucinogenic drugs can sometimes cause the user to become permanently psychotic.

I've had a history of anxiety and panic attacks but the other night I had a panic attack that was much worse than ever before. I'm admittedly a hypochondriac, but this time I seriously convinced myself I had a neurodegenerative disease and was dying. I convinced myself that this was why my friends have been ignoring me lately (because they don't want to be involved with someone who is dying) and I couldn't stop sobbing because I seriously believed my life was ending. The panic attack occurred at around 3am; I eventually fell asleep around 4-5am and when I woke up, I felt "normal" again and knew that what I experienced the night before was a delusion.

Should I be seriously concerned? I'm a little worried I might be developing schizophrenia or something similar, but maybe that's just the hypochondriac in me. Anyway, I'm laying off the DXM (and all non-prescribed drugs) for now, but let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Psychedelics do have the potential to trigger psychotic disorders in people with a genetic predisposition to them, this is usually referred to as triggering latent psychosis. It is also possible to have flashbacks associated with bad trips or to develop persisting visual or auditory distortions. That said those aren't horribly common occurrences and the chances of you having latent psychosis are slim if you don't have any close relatives with a psychotic disorder.

Since you said that you already have panic attacks and they've just worsened it's also possible your substance use is throwing off your brain chemistry. If that's the case you're on the right track with discontinuing your drug use and things should improve with time.

I wouldn't say you need to be seriously concerned but just keep an eye on what happens once you're no longer using drugs, it should clear up but if not it's definitely something to see a professional about.

Well this is a big subject, as far as i know ur nervous system has used all his ressources, it hard to admit that a lifestyle was feeling very positive for a long time with lot of beautiful experience, but sometime it time to rest, physically, mentally and spiritually, that what the panic attack is trying to tell you. Kind regards

edit : u can develop any mental condition when ur mind and body cant function properly but nothing is permanent really as much as you direct your energy where it mean to be, in your case ill think about getting lot of fruits and legumes, rest and a bit of exercice, think about what bring you here.