Idea for a thread in new member intro?

nancy145

Bluelighter
So I'm thinking maybe it would be a good idea if we make like a megathread type of thing in new member introductions. Lots of people new to harm reduction join bluelight to ask a question or two about a specific drug they use, but don't even know of some of the vital basic harm reduction tips. For instance, an oxycodone (with APAP) user might join asking if it's safe to mix with Xanax. They'll get an answer for it, but have never even heard of a CWE so they won't know to use one or even ask how to do it. They'll keep using oxycodone with acetominophen and unknowingly wreck their liver until (or if) they keep researching harm reduction until they come across it. My idea is that we make a megathread in which new members say the most common drugs they use, and someone would reply telling them all the basics they need to know or research. We could also just make a thread with a bunch of commonly used drugs and the basics on them all in the OP, and if someone is a big used of one not on it yet they could reply saying so and the OP could edit it in.

If so many new members are so new to harm reduction however, I feel like this might put extra strain on our limited staff.

I would imagine that instead promoting the use of the Report Post function to alert (all) staff to questions raised by such new users, especially where their thread might be moved to a more appropriate forum (such as OD, in the case or your example).

Oh, I didn't know megathreads always allerted staff. I was just thinking like regular members would check it and respond.

Oh, I just was assuming that it would be mostly staff who end up having to deal with giving a lot of advice, but that might not be the case. Megathreads don't alert staff or anyone who hasn't subscribed to them in particular. I was just trying to get at the current system for this kind of thing, which normally involved posting being reported by users and or staff and then being moved to the most appropriate home among the forums.

Answering drug specific questions is exactly the purpose of NMI, but I don't think you idea for this kind of thread would be breaking any rules or inappropriate or anything. If anything I see it as turning out to be a really good idea or just nothing really happening with it.

You could always create the thread for your idea yourself you know. I mean there certainly is no harm in your idea to create a thread like this. Plus, it could serve a similar purpose in terms of allowing mods to see people's specific questions and use their post posing them to start new threads in the appropriate forum.

If I were you, I'd just go and do it myself. Not much would get done around BL without that kind of attitude.

^ yep. no need to plan it - if you think it has value, nancy145, just do it :)

alasdair