• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Valium withdrawal?

Boss14

Greenlighter
Would taking 10-30mg once or twice a week for about 5 weeks cause addiction?

Would taking 10-30mg once or twice a week for about 5 weeks cause addiction?

Everyone is different, obviously, but for a little reference... my last stint with a diazepam script was about three years (before switching to clonazepam), and I got sixty 10mg per month. I never used them daily but would do a week on/week off, or two weeks on/two weeks off, and never developed physical withdrawals beyond a little rebound anxiety if I went SUPER hard.

I have, however, dealt with physical dependence in years past on more consistent dosing regimens.

Diazepam's half-life is long enough that you should be in the clear of any real withdrawals from that regimen, but you never know...

Yea it's been about Two weeks since I've taken any. I'm an anxious person. And I'm having bad anxiety today. And I think I'm giving myself more anxiety by thinking I'm possibly dependent on Valium.

Yea it's been about Two weeks since I've taken any. I'm an anxious person. And I'm having bad anxiety today. And I think I'm giving myself more anxiety by thinking I'm possibly dependent on Valium.

That is probably indeed the case.

I understand the draw of benzos, despite them not really being recreational, trust me... I am an extremely anxious person as well and have a very difficult time pacing myself when I feel "freed" the way benzos make me feel.

I used to love Valium (as recreational as a benzo can get IMO) but it eventually lost most of its effect on me after heavy abuse, hence why I made the switch.

Wow thank you so much for taking the time to post. My anxiety has eased so much already. I'm not shaking anymore. I've decided to just deal with my anxiety without any substances. I was very strict with my no more than once or twice a week. But the anxiety I just had thinking I was possibly dependent was just not worth it. Again thank you so much. I really didn't think I was dependent but you know how anxiety is. Makes you think things that aren't true or haven't happened

Wow thank you so much for taking the time to post. My anxiety has eased so much already. I'm not shaking anymore. I've decided to just deal with my anxiety without any substances. I was very strict with my no more than once or twice a week. But the anxiety I just had thinking I was possibly dependent was just not worth it. Again thank you so much. I really didn't think I was dependent but you know how anxiety is. Makes you think things that aren't true or haven't happened

I feel your pain, buddy. Chronic anxiety is a motherfucker. I'm in my 30s and have been dealing with it for as long as I can remember. Benzos can be an absolute godsend, but are a double-edged sword. It sounds like you're doing a pretty good job managing your use and keeping yourself under control. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks man. Idk I'm shaking bad again. Getting worried that I could be dependent

Probably ate around 22 10mg over the course of five weeks. It's about two weeks since I've taken any. Read online that withdrawals start 10-14 days after last dose

Unless you've been addicted to benzos before this, then no this really could not be dependence. It seems you may be experiencing some rebound side effects, but I wouldn't call them withdrawal. I can't see use of that little spread out over the course of 5 weeks causing physical dependence and withdrawals. To be honest, it's probably mostly mental / placebo, which has happened to me before with benzos. I thought i needed them until i fucked up and really needed them because I wound up addicted.

Last edited:
Yea I the mind is very powerful. Good chance my symptoms are psychosomatic. I did the counting and it's been 18 days since I've taken any.

I get the same way when I run out, even when I know I haven't done enough, for long enough to have developed an addiction. The worst if is I'm waiting for some. A couple hours can seem like an eternity, Ha. I'd say if you are 18 days, you should be fine. One sure way to tell a physical withdrawal is if you are having trouble speaking properly. Valium has such a long half life it's not so bad. Xanax can be a mother!

I barely slept last night and I still feel so anxious. Anxiety is the worst thing in the world. Once it starts it's hard to end the cycle.

I can speak fine. Just having bad anxiety and in turn not really sleeping or eating too well

I can speak fine. Just having bad anxiety and in turn not really sleeping or eating too well

It's the worst isn't it? You only have to check my journal over the darkside to see what anxiety, depression and chronic debilitating insomnia have done to my life (polydrug abuse for 15 years, self-medicating)...Now i've been tapering valium for over a year - got on the opiates for a while big time too. The benzo withdrawals are the worst thing ever. I laugh at heroin withdrawals in comparison: They are childsplay.

I would not go down the road of benzos or z-drugs: I thought I was in control for so long (and I was) but they eventually took over.

I wish I had gotten help for my insomnia and mental health problems 10 years ago: But truth is I was scared to ask for help. But counselling is great once you get used to it after the first session or two, CBT can be useful, mindfulness meditation can really help with those waves of stomach churning anxiety and depression, to an extent. But everyone responds differently.

I would take sedating anti-depressants such as Amitriptylne - which I got prescribed yesterday and it worked instantly I got 8 hours sleep for the first time since I can remember last night - over benzos or z-drugs anyday.
SSRIs made me suicidal and did absolutely nothing for else for me. Amitriptyline though is an old-skool anti-depressant called a Tricyclic anti-depressant: Completely different and superior effect IMO.

If you want to go the benzo route I suggest you go to a doctor and say you only want x2 doses a week on a restricted release prescription. I'm sure the doctor will admire your responsibility for asking to do that and agree. This is absolutely how all benzos should be prescribed IMO. The ONLY way they should.
Then i'd just look into the talking therapies I mentioned; They can really get to the bottom of the root causes of your anxiety and/or depression and make you understand and build coping mechanisms that will be great skills for life.
Then of course exercise, diet and good sleep hygiene are very important (though I used to hate being told to get exercise when I was sleeping 1 hour a night and just lying in bed all day crying and feeling utterly miserable lol But it really works when you start forcing yourself to go out, even if its just for 10 minutes).

Good to luck to you whatever you decide anyway. Just watch that benzo use very carefully.

F'loki